• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 x 47 favorite load?

Re: 6.5 x 47 favorite load?

130 grain Berger Match VLD

DSC02119.jpg

123 gr. amax
40.0 gr. of H4350
lapua brass
cci BR4's
forster benchrest sizer and forster ultra seater

sub half moa in 26" Criterion barreled savage

38.0 gr. Varget
123 scenar
BR4 primers

2910 fps

Shoots better than I do through a Rock Creek barrel. Another tack driver from Jon Beanland. Seems to like almost any load.

Desert Fox,

Now that's a shooter. Nice job. Thanks to all, for the great info.
grin.gif

Regards, Paul

41 grs. H4350
139 scenar
BR4 primers

2845 fps (10 shots)
ES 17
.020 off

Gradous-built Surgeon

26" MTU contour SS Kreiger-1/8.5" twist

5 shots-one hole

Berger 130 Hunting VLD - lightly touching lands
38.0 grains N150
Remington 7 1/2 BR Primer

Right around 2800 fps
Excellent accuracy

Finally got the gun together. Pics to follow shortly. Anybody else care to share. Thanks guys.

Paul

Hey guys,

I finally finished my version of the ultimate long range coyote rifle. This rifle was put together by that guy at PPR. You know, that guy that does all the bolt fluting. LOL. I coated all metal in Sniper Grey Cerakote.
Chambered in 6.5 x 47 Lapua. Load development was short and sweet. 38.0 gr. of Varget over a 130 Berger VLD does the trick nicely. I decided to make my own muzzle brake out of a remnant of barrel. Worked out nicely.
And the best part is that the rifle comes in at 10.5 lbs. all up. Time to find some coyotes!

Here are the specifics of the build:

Bighorn short action
Bighorn 20 MOA base
McMillan A-5 with the Edge Tech. 2.25 lbs.
Jewell Trigger set at 8 oz.
Hart barrel fluted by PPR
Chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua by PPR
Pillar Bedded by PPR
Nightforce 3.5 x 15 x 56 w/ M.O.A. reticle
PT&G bottom metal w/AI mag
Atlas bi-pod

Thanks for for all the help guys it is greatly appreciated.

Paul

Paul, where's the truckload of coyotes with gaping holes? It's mid December, and you should have blooded that purdee rifle by now!. I put the first 10 rounds thru a new Benchmark barrel doing a ladder test today @ 425 with H4350/130 Berger/450 & new brass, and the results are looking purdee damn good! No crono data at this stage, but vertical was minimal for the most part. I'll see if I can duplicate my results and if so will post them here later.

No truckloads but a few. This rifle is a joy to shoot.

Happy Holidays,

Paul

Shot at 500 yds.

Shot at 475 while hunting with my buddy of 13 yrs. It's a race to see who goes face down first.

Hey guys,

I finally finished my version of the ultimate long range coyote rifle. This rifle was put together by that guy at PPR. You know, that guy that does all the bolt fluting. LOL. I coated all metal in Sniper Grey Cerakote.
Chambered in 6.5 x 47 Lapua. Load development was short and sweet. 38.0 gr. of Varget over a 130 Berger VLD does the trick nicely. I decided to make my own muzzle brake out of a remnant of barrel. Worked out nicely.
And the best part is that the rifle comes in at 10.5 lbs. all up. Time to find some coyotes!

Here are the specifics of the build:

Bighorn short action
Bighorn 20 MOA base
McMillan A-5 with the Edge Tech. 2.25 lbs.
Jewell Trigger set at 8 oz.
Hart barrel fluted by PPR
Chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua by PPR
Pillar Bedded by PPR
Nightforce 3.5 x 15 x 56 w/ M.O.A. reticle
PT&G bottom metal w/AI mag
Atlas bi-pod

Thanks for for all the help guys it is greatly appreciated.

Paul

Sweet looking rig!.......Enjoy!

• Wow
Reactions: jrb95
I just finished up PA whitetail deer season. My load was devastating on them. Massive blood trails and all went less than 50 yds

38g Varget
Berger Hunting 130VLD
CCI small rifle magnum primers
Lapua brass obviously

Sub 1/2 moa groups

I love this caliber too. Minimal recoil and mild report. Doesn't even hurt the ears without muffs on. It's by far my favorite short action caliber.

Last edited:
I'd like to try some of the non-existant 123 Amaxes for predators in my rifle, figuring they ought to knock a softball size hole in the off side of a wayward coyote, and I don't save the pelts. (I believe in recycling;), and the eagles around here seem to enjoy the few I get each winter). Nice Pictures Paul-thanks for posting them.

10 Rounds thru the new Benchmark barrel on my girl, a small ladder test Sunday with H4350/130 Berger, results looking GOOT so far ~Craig~

I'd like to try some of the non-existant 123 Amaxes for predators in my rifle, figuring they ought to knock a softball size hole in the off side of a wayward coyote, and I don't save the pelts. (I believe in recycling;), and the eagles around here seem to enjoy the few I get each winter). Nice Pictures Paul-thanks for posting them.

10 Rounds thru the new Benchmark barrel on my girl, a small ladder test Sunday with H4350/130 Berger, results looking GOOT so far ~Craig~

Looking forward to a range report.

Paul

120gr SMK
39.3gr of RE15
2970fps
Rem 700 with Douglas 26" stainless
Barrel is rem #7 heavy contour
Also shooting suppressed
I don't see any real difference in velocity with or without the can and temps don't seem to affect it as much as I thought. We worked up the load last spring at about 75F and shot it last week at 25F too. Still shooting one ragged hole at 100. We didn't drag out the chrono for the cold weather shooting so I'm not sure how much velocity changed but the point of aim vs point of impact is about the same as it was all spring and summer.
We've tried the 140gr matchkings and bergers with RE17 but never could get the groups worked out. Also ran the 123gr SMK's and Nosler 120's with the same 39.3gr load and they are right there with the 120 smk's.

Frank

My new favorite x47L load is with a new bullet: the 130gr 6.5mm from a small bulletsmith in AZ, Precision Ballistics. Bullet has a 15 caliber tangent ogive, a slightly rebated boat tail, and pointed meplat. I estimate its BC is in the 0.56 range, although this is a estimate only. I'm going to acoustically test the BC with an engineer, Hide member Bohem. For more info on the bullet, see the field report I did in the "Range Report" section of this website.

Powder charge is the same as my 130gr JLK load: 41.7gr of H4350 at 2.75" OAL. This is doing 2800fps from my 21" 9 twist Kreiger, and something like 2900 from my 26" 8 twist Hart.