• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition 6.5 x 47 Lapua

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Whats your guys take on this caliber? Im looking for a nice Varmint gun / 600-1000yd benchrest gun / F class gun etc....I was leaning towards the 6.5x284, but I dont feel like buying barrels every 1500rds

Re: 6.5 x 47 Lapua

It will fit the bill nicely, A little big for small varmints and a little small for 1000 yard br but you can't have it all. I have had 2 of them both super accurate easy to load for rifles.

Make sure you get your bolt bushed if running factory action otherwise you can't load em hot.

I have been talking with my gunsmith for about 3 months now concerning this caliber. He has a couple of them, and absolutely LOVES the things.

His oldest one now has over 2,000 rounds through it, and he is still happy with the accuracy. These definately are not the barrel burners like the 284 are notorious for being.

What really surprised me the most though, was he indicated that he is using about 37 grains of Varget (if I am remembering correctly), and it is shooting lights out like crazy. He has shown me multiple 3 and 5 round groups measuring roughly 1/4".

This caliber, without a doubt, has more than peaked my interest.

DK

Varget shouldn't surprise you. I run 38.2 varget with 130 JLK's I get 1/4 MOA accuracy out to 600 yards in my Kelbly BR rifle.

Very nice!! I just wish the brass and dies didn't cost so dang much. That and the actual barrel cost is the biggest things keeping me from getting this done.

I am impressed with this round, but I have too much invested in my .308 to just dump and run with it. Oh, the wait.

DK

I really like mine, in fact I am in the process of having another built. I have used mine mainly for rock chuck hunting and find it an absolute blast. Looking forward to getting it on some coyotes this fall. Varget and the 123gr Scenar has worked really well for me.

i got jared at apa to build one for my wife a little over a year ago and i love it!. when i need to rebarrel my .308 that's going to be my new go to caliber.

Concerning barrel life, mine just tanked, (just under 1 MOA consistently from a bug hole rifle) at 4200 rounds. New barrel should last another 3 years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice!! I just wish the brass and dies didn't cost so dang much. That and the actual barrel cost is the biggest things keeping me from getting this done.

I am impressed with this round, but I have too much invested in my .308 to just dump and run with it. Oh, the wait.

DK </div></div>

have you ever ran the numbers with your 308 pushing the 155 lapuas? not too far off performance wise. dont get me wrong, i have a 6.5 fetish from hell.

Well, I am running virgin Federal Estate Brass for my reloads. I actually bought 100 pieces, and was given another 200 becuase nobody was buying them, and the dealer wanted to move them. LOL!! So I only paid 33% for that bunch.

My 155's that I am running now, I actually WON the rounds in a drawing. 500 of those anyways. I got the other 500 from a drawing that my son was drawn. So I don't have any funds there.

The powder that I am using, I got in on a group buy, and I saved 40% on the Varget and IMR4064. So a pretty good chunk of cashola was saved there too.

I was given 300 primers to do the testing of my loads from my buddy Vince, that has made up some rounds for me to try. So, there too, was some cashola saved.

I have been very fortunate as far as my supplies have been concerned. I have bought my dies and other things very slowly, and am just now actually getting into reloading them. My funds are very tight since my wife and kids are living in another state, and I am having to support 2 households. So to me, the 6.5x47 stuff that I have been looking at, seem at this time, to be a millionaire's game. I would love to play, but it will be quite a stretch of time out there for it to materialize.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice!! I just wish the brass and dies didn't cost so dang much. That and the actual barrel cost is the biggest things keeping me from getting this done.

DK </div></div>

I have good news for you and some sage advice.

I'm convinced there is no other brass made that is as tough as 6.5x47 Lapua.You don't reload it 7-8 times and toss it like other brands.

Here's how you can save money in the long run even though it's a stiff initial investment.

Fire 3 virgin brass 3 times and send it off to a custom die maker to have a sizer made for minimum sizing of the brass.It will greatly extend brass life and enhance accuracy at the same time.

If you really want to get fancy then order your own reamer cut to minimum spec first and have your rifle chambered with it.

I've done both and have not been nice to my brass.Some of it I've set aside for experimenting which have been reloaded 25-30 times and they still hold primers well.I'll see how many barrels I can wear out with the same brass I've been shooting for 4 years now.

Hmmmm, maybe I ought to sell out all of my .308 stuff and use the funds to cover the 47?? That is a thought for sure.

If you are getting that many loadings on the brass, that would definately help in the overall realm of changing over.

DK

Get your new barrel Melonited also.Costs $75.I did it to mine.Almost no throat wear,maybe .001 with 300 rounds fired. Possibly doubles the barrel life.I'll let you know in 2-3 years
grin.gif

OK, it seems there may be a possibility of me getting my hands on a Kreiger barrel in the 6.5x47. So with the throat wear of .001 in 300 rounds, what type of velocity are you running?? And where do you recommend having the treatment done??

Thanks for your patience with this endless array of questions...

DK

MMI trutech does the heat treat process but it's best to send it through a gunsmith like Rodney at R+T customs to get a better price.

115's at 2970 fps in 6x47L

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats your guys take on this caliber? Im looking for a nice Varmint gun / 600-1000yd benchrest gun / F class gun etc....I was leaning towards the 6.5x284, but I dont feel like buying barrels every 1500rds </div></div>
It is one of the most accurate rounds I have ever tested, and gave the lowest ES I've over seen of 2 fps spread on 7 shots. It made me a believer. (But I still run a 260!)

Yes, I have to agree with Chad. 6.5x47L is a crazy accurate round. I have pretty much given up on load development on it, given that everything I shot out of it goes into tiny groups (sub-0.50 moa, and I'm not a great shooter or reloader). Just pick a quality bullet, get 8 lbs of H4350 and pick 2 or 3 charges to test at mag length. Chances are in 20 rounds, you will have your load development done and you can go focus on actually improving your marksmanship skills instead of screwing around with +/-0.3grains and 0.005" here and there.

I run 142 smk @ 2870 41.0g H4350, over 4000 rounds out of the last tube! I would be cleaning house at matches, but <span style="font-style: italic">I</span> am really holding my rifles potential back
grin.gif

My load is 41.7gr H4350, CCI BR4 primers, 130gr JLK to AI mag length (2.8-ish). Goes at 2950fps from my 1:8 twist, 26" Hart. Anything from 40.0 to 42.0 H4350 produced the same groups, so I just picked towards the top end. I ran out of cartridge capacity before I saw pressure signs, so I can't tell you how much H4350 is too much.

Guys: I just set a Grand Senior NRA 500 yd record F/Open at Camp Pendelton.
21 lbs.
Seb Neo rest
Master Class stock
March Scope
BAT 8.5" M
Kreiger 1.25
apua Brass
CCI 450
R 17-39g
Jewell Trigger
6.5x47 Lapua
142 SMK
With the same set up I won the 600 Yrad regionals at BRRC/Castaic.

I am how building a 6.4x284 (17lb) for NBRSA 600-1000
Shehane Stock with weight system
#17 Kreiger barrel (7lb.) and a 1.25 Kreiger (10 lbs)
Jewell Trigger
March Scope
BR 2 primers
43891sc (? gr. approx 51g)
142 SMK
BAT 8.5"

I have shot the 6.5x47L at 1000 yards and got fair results-5-6-7" inch groups but I'm hopeing to do better with the 6.5x284. I'll trade barrel life for better score anytime.

Reactions: Westcoast308

So honestly, how does this compare overall with the .243 round??

The reason I am asking is, my gunsmith told me that he would give me a .243 barrel that someone ordered, but had changed his mind at the last minute, "IF" I would just pay for his time and work in the barrel.

I have never shot a .243, so I am just wondering what all the ins and outs are between the 2.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> have you ever ran the numbers with your 308 pushing the 155 lapuas? not too far off performance wise. dont get me wrong, i have a 6.5 fetish from hell. </div></div>
Not sure what the numbers say, but the .308 running Scenars is "far off" performance wise when compared to the x47, IMHO. They may only be a few feet apart, drop wise, @ 1000 yards, but the wind seems to play with the 6.5 bullets alot less. If I was giving one shot and had to make a hit, I would grab my 6.5 before my .308 everytime (and my .308 is scary accurate).

Matchking and I have run our 308's and our 6.5x47's along side the other on the 1k range at Long Range Alley. 6.5 scenars are superior to 7.62 scenars in these two rounds by a long shot and you don't need software to see it. The 155 scenars raise 308 to a higher class but not to the class of 6.5x47 Lapua.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So honestly, how does this compare overall with the .243 round??

The reason I am asking is, my gunsmith told me that he would give me a .243 barrel that someone ordered, but had changed his mind at the last minute, "IF" I would just pay for his time and work in the barrel.

I have never shot a .243, so I am just wondering what all the ins and outs are between the 2.

DK</div></div>

The answer to this is an easy one. Build a 6x47 Lapua. I run 105 hunting bergers at 3050 out of a 22" barrel with h4350. G7 is 0.272 Run the numbers through jbm. Matches the 6.5x47's and 260's in the wind with a lot less drop. Better for me during unknown distance as my milling isn't always spot on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seven mm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The answer to this is an easy one. Build a 6x47 Lapua. I run 105 hunting bergers at 3050 out of a 22" barrel with h4350. G7 is 0.272 Run the numbers through jbm. Matches the 6.5x47's and 260's in the wind with a lot less drop. Better for me during unknown distance as my milling isn't always spot on. </div></div>

Damn, nice package. 22" w/ that velocity is very nice. And I'm sure accuracy is just as good as the 6.5L. Excellent idea Seven MM.

6x47 is definitely the way to go if you want the best combination of performance and stupid accuracy in a 6mm. We run our 105s at 3250 out of a 28" barrel and just under 3200 in a 26" barrel. Virtually the same wind drift as the best load you can run in a 6.5x47 or .260 and way less drop.

Just my $0.02

So the 6x47 is just a necked down version of the 6.5x47? Im getting pretty pumped about this build. Im going with a Bat Action and Krieger barrel. Im between a Manners T4 or T1, and a McMillan Benchrest Hunter Class stock. I want to keep the weight down on this gun. It will be mostly for Varmit hunting, and if its a shooter maybe some 600yd bench rest. Is the selection of 6.5 bullets better than 6mm?

Im very lucky to live so close to my gun smith. Here is a 6x47 that he built for a guy on 6mmbr. Im kind of modeling my gun after this one.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek093.html

Consider 6mm Remington and 6XC. Examine the former closely and I don't mean book max. That's always slow and low. Check case capacity. Compare and contrast.

Does not 6mm Remington do what 243Win does but with improved neck geometry and longer barrel life?

Probe also 6.5mm Rem Mag. 6mm Rem and 6.5mm Rem Mag are both due for a resurrection. Consider running them both in a long action with some long assed heavy vld's and stoked with propellant. You'll have breathing room in the mag so we can stop bitching about cramped coal, crunching the charge, shoulder/neck juncture issues. I'm just debating with myself, now here, why not these two calibers?

I can't do anything with 6mm here, due to the fact that I want my rifle for hunting as well. So the 243 or 6.5 have my interest.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Consider 6mm Remington and 6XC. Examine the former closely and I don't mean book max. That's always slow and low. Check case capacity. Compare and contrast.

Does not 6mm Remington do what 243Win does but with improved neck geometry and longer barrel life?

Probe also 6mm Rem Mag. 6mm Rem and 6mm Rem Mag are both due for a resurrection. Consider running them both in a long action with some long assed heavy vld's and stoked with propellant. You'll have breathing room in the mag so we can stop bitching about cramped coal, crunching the charge, shoulder/neck juncture issues. I'm just debating with myself, now here, why not these two calibers?

</div></div>

Oh, Casey and his monkey wrench flying all over. Great suggestions. His got me thinking hard about my potential choices for a future build.
crazy.gif

My protégé, in only his 2nd 600 yard F class match, shot a 599 33X with his 6.5x47L w/ 139's. He shot it "tactical" style at a rate of 3 rounds a minute and held for wind.
I have 2 6.5x47's and my daughter also runs one. It has been the easiest cart rage to load for of all that I have ever loaded/ shot.
All told I've sent in excess of 6000 rounds of 6.5x47 down range. Avery fun and forgiving round.

I have 2. One with a rock barrel and one with a brux barrel. This caliber is great. Accurate, low recoil, and very efficient. it is a win / win.

i also have 2, both with broughton barrels and both shoot 1/4 moa, one is for tactical and one for f-class. i use 142 smk's and 139 scenar. very efficient round,

OK, I think I have read more than enough... from all accounts, this will be my next transition. One of the beautiful things about a Savage is about to really shine. Just buy a barrel!!

6.5x47... Here I come!!

DK

My 6.5x47 will toss a 140berger vld right around 2970fps
via RE17 41.2, reverse calc from dope used to 1k
SHoot 1" groups @ 500
RE17 makes 6.5x47 a lil rocket
i just posted mine for sale

I don't have 6.5x47...yet but probably will when the 6.5-284 burns out. I do have a 6x47L in a tac-30 sendero contour and it's a very fun and accurate round. Just loaded my test rounds on a second 6x47L in a bench gun and hope it works out for 600yd benchrest.