• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 x 47 vs 6 GT

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Looking to purchase new or build a long range rifle (1200 yards or so) for ringing steel or other target (no hunting). Looking at cartridge choice. 6.5 x 47 Lapua (I have 200 unfired cases), or 6mm GT. Hard choice, so welcome opinions. I do not compete, this is just for personal pleasure. If I can avoid a muzzle brake, that would be nice, but not essential. I reload. Top accuracy is a must, but would like 1500+ rounds barrel life minimum, not fussy on loads. I do not fire long rapid strings. Factory ammo unimportant. Reliable mag feeding a must. Prefer AICS mags. I can get a MasterPiece PMR in both calibers, a Seekins HIT rifle in 6 GT, and can get either with an Origin action and different shouldered prefits. If anyone has experience with one or both of these rounds, would welcome your thoughts on either or both for my shooting.

Im partial to the x47 in general simply due to Lapua brass. As a cartridge, its all good. If you dont beat the shit out of it, it will easily double your barrel life criteria and then some. Since you already have the brass, seems like an easy choice.

I went through this very debate myself about 6 months ago. I went with the 6.5x47L because I already had one (and all the reloading components), plus I fancied myself hunting a tad with it and I'd rather have that .021 and 20-40gr extra...but mostly the first reason.

Both of my x47s are on FN SPRs. I have 26" M40 contours on each as well. They aren't light in the least bit. I had the first one threaded, but realized that I didn't need a brake or suppressor to shoot it well...so the second rifle that was just completed isn't threaded.

My first rifle has only 250 rounds through it, and it has shot in the .2s with at least two, if not three combos. My second rifle only has 21 rounds of factory 120 Scenar-L through it, but shot two consecutive 1/2 minute groups at 100 during the expedited break-in that I do.

I really think that there are few cartridges out there that are easier to load for than the 6.5x47L, even though the cartridge is really getting beat by the new offerings. The 6mm explosion a couple years ago has just about antiquated the x47 to aficionados.

All that being said, everything I read about the 6GT was pretty excellent too. It made for a difficult choice for me as well.

The last time I shot the first 6.5x47L off my porch:
20221112_142047.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
I love me some 6.5x47, so much I have 2 as well. One heavy for targets and one lighter weight for hunting. As others have said stupid easy to load for and super accurate. Both of mine wear PVA prefits if you go that route. One on an Origin and one on a Nucleus.

Don't rule out the 6x47 if your going use your brass on-hand as a deciding factor.
The sizing op' is pretty painless with an extra bushing for the die set.
Looks like you can get the PMR with that too.

I like the 6GT. 33.5 to 34.5 of RL15.5 with 105 to 109 target bullet = easy button. All of mine have shot very good. Wife's is going on 2k and still shooting lights out. She took 2nd in our state championships this year with it.

It’s “temporarily” being discontinued, or otherwise deprioritized as they concentrate their capacity on higher demand cartridges/contracts. They will still have the tooling and capability to resume making it obviously but when that will be is anyone’s guess.

With that said, I recently started testing some Alpha OCD 6.5x47L and it’s every bit as consistent as the Lapua that I have.

I didn't even know Alpha made x47L brass.

Yeah, it’s good to go and it’s been available through Natchez for a while now. As a matter of fact I started moving all of my brass over to Alpha for PRS and similar.

I haven't used Alpha after my first experience with them in 6GT. Prior to OCD brass. Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. I just recently bought some 22GT brass because they're the only ones that make it. I've been just generally ignoring them.

100% with you. First run of Creed brass I got from them was a dumpster fire and in general I felt similar towards them as you do.

Finally gave it another go with the OCD (funny enough for 22GT), and it’s been much better. Tried the x47L because it was in-stock and it’s been every bit as good as my Lapua. So I’m thinking whatever issues they had were resolved with OCD.

They sure are proud of it though…

To be fair I think Peterson also had some growing pains with some ridiculously thick brass. They even sold some labeled "thick neck". Like it was made to be neck turned. I personally think they just made a shit ton of brass accidentally thick and sold it as such.
As did ADG.

6x47. I mean it's pretty much the OG 6gt. If it's between 6gt and 6.5x47 when you choose let us all know cause I'm in the same boat and leaning hard 6.5x47 for extra barrel life and easy of accuracy.

Fwiw 6x47 does not have the same reputation for ease of tuning or being “the BR’s older brother” like the 6.5.

I had one for 1k rounds before I had enough and set it back to Creed. The 6.5 is a completely different animal.

Hard to beat a good 6.5x47. Using 8 twist. We shoot 140 vld mostly but the 147 eld also shot great.