• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5CM AR10-High pressure Bolt?

krt22

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I have all the parts to convert one of my AR10s to 6.5CM. How important is the HP bolt some manufactures sell? I will be running a JP adjustable gas block as well.

I think the "extended rifle length system" will add more boiler room/dwell time and as a result less pressure. Unclemoak, I like how you make them KAC handguards fit the AR10. Could you get one of those or similar to fit a Gen2 DPMS?

Why is it that important? Are cratered primers really that big of a deal for people?

The standard firing pin hole will not let you get anywhere near the potential of the cartridge when reloading due to the high-pressure nature of the 6.5 CM or a 260 you'll get more than just cratering primers, blown and pierced primers are very common especially with some of the hotter loads from companies like Horniday.

I wouldnt touch a 6.5/260 AR10 without a high pressure bolt. I also would make sure I got an extended gas system. Your primer pockets arent going to last long and your brass will get beat up quick without them. Im talking from experience. Sold my Bartlein rifle gas 6.5cm barrel, which was a tack driver a few months ago and waiting to take receipt of my PVA 22" Rock cut rifled barrel with extended gas. Pockets were going loose sooner than they should, blown primers with way under max loads, heavy burs on case heads, gauges on case necks and shoulders, the list goes on.

Save yourself the time, money and headaches up front and do it right

The standard firing pin hole will not let you get anywhere near the potential of the cartridge when reloading due to the high-pressure nature of the 6.5 CM or a 260 you'll get more than just cratering primers, blown and pierced primers are very common especially with some of the hotter loads from companies like Horniday.

Good to know. I get very minor cratering on my .308 loads, but didn't realize the issue is a lot more pronounced on 6.5/.260

Yup, I was also having those kinds of issues on an AR10, I'd say spring for the JP HP or maybe an RCA. Good quality either way with them.

In my experience with it, I would get all the proper parts. AR10s weren't originally designed to work with suck high pressure rounds.

If you arent having a custom barrel spun up go with a JP barrel as it comes with a HP bolt already headspaced to the barrel which is very important. I personally wouldn't shoot a 6.5/260 AR barrel without knowing the bolt was headspaced to the barrel. Then all you have to do is buy a JP or RCA carrier only.

I think it is very important. I was doing alot of research on a 6.5 Creed AR10 and it became obvious that this cartridge will react differently in a standard AR10 platform. What finally convinced me was a long talk I had with a tech from JP who patiently answered my questions and provided very logical reasons why JP did some of the things they do. Like the Rifle Length plus 2 gas system. They found that it gave the bolt a little extra time to unlock so it improved timing and pressure. Same thing with the extra long gas system and the High Pressure Bolt only enhanced how everything worked together. That was my perception and I thought his answers were logical and practical and would improve the performance of the 6.5 Creed. My research led me to believe that JP is just ahead of the curve when it comes to building a gas gun in this caliber. I may be wrong but I think JP is the only manufacturer doing all these procedures. I was so impressed I went ahead and ordered a LRP-07 in 6.5 Creedmoor. With my military discount it wasn't too bad and that side charger is definitely a bonus.So I am trying to wait "patiently." lol

Yeah I am leaning towards biting the bullet and getting the JP barrel/bolt combo. Mega also has a barrel/HP bolt combo in the works but they do not mention the gas system. I also already have the JP gas block so it will work well with the .936" gas block seat of the JP barrel, mega is .75"