• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5CM Bartlein 3B 20" barrel weight?

ormandj

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
TX
Anybody have a Bartlein 3B chambered in 6.5mm CM ideally that they've had on a scale (fluted or unfluted is fine, just mention if it is, same if it's another cartridge) at 20" finished? I'm working on another build and trying to get a working number from a finished barrel. I'm sticking to steel since it will see some range time and I don't want to deal with mirage as quickly as the CF versions seem to be prone to, but trying to keep the weight reasonable at the same time, while not going so light as to cause significant issues on 5 and 10 shot strings between cooling (in TX).

I've found a good amount of weight data on other contours in 20", or 3B in other lengths, but not much on 3Bs finished at 20". I greatly appreciate the information!

A 3B at a 27" 6.5mm blank would weigh 4.2#. As close as I can give you off hand it's about .107# per inch from the muzzle end back x 7" would take off .749#. That would give you an approx. weight of 3.45# for a 20" finish length.

Thread and chamber will take a small amount after that.

Fluting as a close guess would take off about another .15#.

Sorry I don't have anything laying around that I could weigh that was exactly to the finish length etc...

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Frank, you're awesome as always. I sure do appreciate it!

A 3B at a 27" 6.5mm blank would weigh 4.2#. As close as I can give you off hand it's about .107# per inch from the muzzle end back x 7" would take off .749#. That would give you an approx. weight of 3.45# for a 20" finish length.

Thread and chamber will take a small amount after that.

Fluting as a close guess would take off about another .15#.

Sorry I don't have anything laying around that I could weigh that was exactly to the finish length etc...

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
Can a 20" 3b in 223 be threaded 5/8x24? Looking at this barrel for mild range and hunting

Updating the thread. 49.1oz chambered in 6.5CM, fluted, and threaded. Impressive back of the napkin math @Frank Green

BB9CD7D8-CE54-43E6-AFF1-0895BD1BEBB2.jpeg

My barrel (pictured above) is 3B, 20", and 5/8x24 threaded.

Reactions: jh2785