• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6.5CM factory ammo selection

stello1001

Professional Newb
Minuteman
  • Feb 20, 2017
    Corpus Christi TX
    Hello all,

I purchased a ruger american predator in 6.5cm a few months back to use as a hunting rifle. I have been hunting whitetail with a .270 for years but decided to see what all the rave is about on the 6.5 cm cartridge. I am almost ready to start shooting as I am simply needing to mount my scope now. I want to be able to fire some rounds downrange just for the fun of it in an attempt to get some target practice in and get to know the rifle better. Because I know every rifle is different and might perform differently with different ammo brands, I have decided that for hunting purposes I want to use 143gr. ELD-X as a starting point since many have claimed to get good performance out of it. My question is, would it be a waste of ammo to use this as a target practice round? Should I look into something else whenever I won't be hunting with it? Or would it be best to use this same ammo in order to familiarize myself with the ballistics of this round and how much it'll drop at certain distances? I do not plan to reload as I barely plan to start doing some target shooting for fun. If i pick this up as a hobby, I may decide to start reloading a few years down the road. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks...

Hornady American Whitetail ammo with the Hornady 129 grain interlock SP bullet is great for the price (about $19/box) and it's also a great deer bullet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use the Hornady 143g ELD-X load to practice with if that's what you plan on shooting while hunting. If you search around a bit, you can find it for less at online stores, $28.19/box at Natchez:

https://www.natchezss.com/hornady-p...mm-creedmoor-143-gr-eld-x-2700-fps-20-ct.html

If all you want to do is break in your barrel and send lead down range without regard for ballistic results or information gathering, then go to your nearest box store and buy the cheapest 6.5 Creedmoor ammo you can find. If you do want to develop an understanding of what your chosen hunting bullet will do out of your rifle and verify drop and ballistic results, there's really only one way to do that and that is to shoot the actual round that you will be using. Shooting 130g OTMs in the Prime ammunition will be fun, but will provide zero actual feedback regarding the 143g ELD-X.

Norma is coming out with some great priced 6.5 Match rounds, 130gr Hybrids for probably ~$25/Box of 20. Running mid 2800 fps if I recall correctly. Plus you get to keep the Norma brass after you shoot it.

Norma is coming out with some great priced 6.5 Match rounds, 130gr Hybrids for probably ~$25/Box of 20. Running mid 2800 fps if I recall correctly. Plus you get to keep the Norma brass after you shoot it.

Sooo Norma is basically selling PRIME under their own label now? Norma product code #10166312.

Right, so Norma isn't selling Prime Ammo, the are selling Norma ammo. Prime claims that their product is exclusive through RUAG. So maybe the Norma offering is similar. Note that Norma says their projectile is Norma 6.5 Creedmoor 130 grain Hybrid Target Sportsman's Warehouse lists it as a Sierra Matchking Hybrid Target. That is vs. the OTM offered by Prime.

Just sayin'...

Last edited:
    I see various places selling the Norma product code I mentioned as utilizing the Golden Target Hybrid HBPT bullet with .584 G1 BC. That's more or less identical to what PRIME is selling.

If that is really the case, then I surely agree. I wonder what Prime thinks of this, as their words are, "We are able to offer this...due to our exclusive manufacturing partnership with RUAG Ammotec, the world renowned Swiss munitions company."

If that is really the case, then I surely agree. I wonder what Prime thinks of this, as their words are, "We are able to offer this...due to our exclusive manufacturing partnership with RUAG Ammotec, the world renowned Swiss munitions company."

I bought a case of Norma, I'll let you know my findings. Not much PRIME left either, so I'll have to get a case of that soon as well.

I would also like to hear how the Norma 6.5 Creedmoor1 130 gr. shoots. I just put the a 24" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel on my AIAT. The first 2 boxes of Hornady 147 gr. ELD Match were not giving me the groups I hoped for. Most of it was me and I probably needed to to season the barrel with a little copper. The third box was Hornaday 140 gr. ELD Match. Groups started to get better. The last 5 shot group of that box was 3/4 inch. I need to buy 2 cases of ammo for a up coming precision rifle class. Reloading is not in the cards at this time. I'm tempted to buy a box from Brownells to see how it shoots.

I won't be able to get figures on the Norma til next weekend at the earliest.

Just picked up a box of Federal American Eagle 140 gr. open tip match to try in a few days. I read in one of the magazines where the author said he was getting exception tight groups.

Can't recommend buying from Brownells. I ordered what was listed as a "case" of Norma and received 10 boxes from two lots.

That can be annoying for sure. That said, I'm pretty much a fan of Brownells. Though I haven't really ordered ammo from them.

When I ran the price of 1 box of Norma through the Brownell's shopping cart with shipping it was over $40. To much to spend for 1 box. The Hornady 140 gr. ELD Match shoots good in my rifle. Unless the Federal American Eagle 6.5 shoots that much better I will probably stay with the Hornady. The case price for each is almost the same.

When I ran the price of 1 box of Norma through the Brownell's shopping cart with shipping it was over $40. To much to spend for 1 box. The Hornady 140 gr. ELD Match shoots good in my rifle. Unless the Federal American Eagle 6.5 shoots that much better I will probably stay with the Hornady. The case price for each is almost the same.

Buying one box from an online retailer will never be cost effective. Shipping difference between 1 box and 10 boxes likely isn't too different.

There are multiple Norma product SKUs for 6.5CM; the newest one is under the Match line whereas the other stuff is under the hunting line, which is quite a bit more per box to begin with.

The Federal 140 gr American Eagle open tip ended up shooting just as good as the Hornady 140 gr. ELD Match. I ordered 2 case of the Hornady. Price wise with shipping they were within penny's of each other. I would still like to try the Norma 130 gr. match someday.

The Federal 140 gr American Eagle open tip ended up shooting just as good as the Hornady 140 gr. ELD Match. I ordered 2 case of the Hornady. Price wise with shipping they were within penny's of each other. I would still like to try the Norma 130 gr. match someday.

Brownells has 10% off and free shipping today for orders over $200. That brings 200rd case of Norma 130gr to $225 shipped.

Thanks. That's a good deal. It will have to wait for the next special from Brownells. After 2 case of Hornady, the ammo budget is depleted for a while. I paid $235.50 shipped for each case of Hornady. I didn't think that was to bad of a price.

For me out of my savage.
    -Eldx 143's shoots 3/4" MOA 25ish a box
    -American whitetail 129'sjust over MOA 16ish a box
    -American eagle 140 OTM shoots 1/2" MOA usually a little better if I do my part 22ish a box.

I’m getting a SD of 9-10 FPS out of Hornady ELD Match 147’s. If you shop around with a search engine like ammoseek.com you can find it cheap.

Anyone tried the Norma ammo yet?
    Have a case of the Norma 130's arriving today, hope to get out Sunday to group and chrono it out of my Bergara LRP Elite. I only have 75rds through it yet so it's going to be a little slower than what it will end up, but should at least give me an idea of the SD to expect. I am hoping it's a little better than the Hornady ELD-M's i've been putting through my 10-FCP.

Reactions: BangBangBlatBlat
    Have a case of the Norma 130's arriving today, hope to get out Sunday to group and chrono it out of my Bergara LRP Elite. I only have 75rds through it yet so it's going to be a little slower than what it will end up, but should at least give me an idea of the SD to expect. I am hoping it's a little better than the Hornady ELD-M's i've been putting through my 10-FCP.

What kind of SD's have you been getting?

I would also like to hear some reports on the Norma ammo. Been running the 140gr eld-m with good results but the Norma is priced a little cheaper.

What kind of SD's have you been getting?
    These results are from August, and keep in mind this is on a cheapo ProChrono, my new Magneetospeed just arrived yesterday.

Avg: 2728fps
    ES: 61
    SD: 21

I'm not trying to knock the ELD-M's, and maybe that was an inferior case or maybe my chrono sucks and everything will be good once I run it over the MS. Just want to try some other options.

Reactions: tna9001
    I’m using the 147g factory load and getting a SD of 9-10 (via magnetospeed), that’s why I was wondering. I’m curious to see what you come up with with the magnetospeed.

I’m using the 147g factory load and getting a SD of 9-10 (via magnetospeed), that’s why I was wondering. I’m curious to see what you come up with with the magnetospeed.

That's about what I was getting over my Magnetospeed but the accuracy at longer range was there too. Here is 5 shots at 650 yards with 147 ELD factory ammo. I shot the three on the bottom and saw no change in splash so I held a little higher and shot the higher 2. I had a similar experience at 800 yards where the spotter was saying they were dropping in on top of each other and I only saw one splash until I held a little left wind. Don't get too hung up on chrono numbers. Go shoot the ammo at long range. See what the ammo does.

1DF6yoJ.jpg

Well damn 33 posts and not one mention of Hornady American Gunner ammo for the 6.5 Creedmoor. My dad and brother have been using it out of a Browning X-Bolt & RPR with 1/2 MOA or better accuracy. At just under a dollar a round it's pretty cheap though I haven't tested how it fares at long range.

That's about what I was getting over my Magnetospeed but the accuracy at longer range was there too. Here is 5 shots at 650 yards with 147 ELD factory ammo. I shot the three on the bottom and saw no change in splash so I held a little higher and shot the higher 2. I had a similar experience at 800 yards where the spotter was saying they were dropping in on top of each other and I only saw one splash until I held a little left wind. Don't get too hung up on chrono numbers. Go shoot the ammo at long range. See what the ammo does.

1DF6yoJ.jpg

That’s some impressive shooting!

It seems to me the case for reloading is getting weak. Here are some of my results with the Hornady ELD 147’s at 1308yds 4 out of 10 that's two in the center.

Attachments

• 1308.png
      1308.png
      1,006.9 KB · Views: 87
    Prime Ammo is what you seek. $26.60ish / 20 rounds.

I second that. Just shot out to 1225 today with Prime in my 6.5CM. 22 inch barrel 2863 FPS on my Lab Radar. Hornady 143 ELD-X is also great. Both shoot sub 1/2 MOA. Hornady was 2675 FPS but also shot well out to 1225. Hit a 24 inch target 3 times in a row. Same zero for both loads.

I second that. Just shot out to 1225 today with Prime in my 6.5CM. 22 inch barrel 2863 FPS on my Lab Radar. Hornady 143 ELD-X is also great. Both shoot sub 1/2 MOA. Hornady was 2675 FPS but also shot well out to 1225. Hit a 24 inch target 3 times in a row. Same zero for both loads.

What kind of SD are are you getting with Prime?

Took the Norma 130's out today, now keep in mind this barrel had a total of 70 rounds fired when I started this test. I expect it to speed up considerably in the next 100 rds and maybe settle down a bit. After I chrono'd it I took it successfully out to 800 yards for a first round impact on a 10x6 inch plate holding .8mil left for wind. I was actually very happy with the performance.
    MS V3
    Max: 2862
    Min: 2809
    AVG: 2828
    SD: 17.5

Personally I think this will improve, I might order another case of the 140 ELD's next month to try them out in this rifle, don't have any at the moment.

I have had great success with the PRIME 130 grain and the Hornady 147 grain ELDM.

Can someone elaborate on the pros/cons between the 140 ELD and the 147 ELD? I have not tried the 140 yet. I went straight to the 147 based on Rob01's results.

Reactions: Rob01
    No real wrong answer with the 140 vs the 147. The 147 has a higher BC at .697 vs .646 but a slower velocity. In my rifle the 147 is about 2720fps and the 140 is 2820fps. Both are very accurate which is what matters. Just run the numbers and try each and see what works best for you.

No real wrong answer with the 140 vs the 147. The 147 has a higher BC at .697 vs .646 but a slower velocity. In my rifle the 147 is about 2720fps and the 140 is 2820fps. Both are very accurate which is what matters. Just run the numbers and try each and see what works best for you.

Thanks Rob...I will do that.

Took the Norma 130's out to 800yds wednesday. Shooting north, had a variable 5-10mph NE wind, was generally holding .5 mil right. I'm thinking it performed very well. Went ahead and ordered another case last night for this months' match. I made a video shooting an IPSC at 800 and an 8x5 inch plate at 800.

I’ve had good results with Norma 130, Hornady American Gunner 140, and HSM Trophy Gold 140 Berger VLD (this will be my hunting load). As for the other 2, more than likely I’ll run the Hornady 140’s in my local matches just cause I can then cheaper.
    Went to Sportsman Warehouse the other day and they had the 200 rd cans for $139... pretty good deal on Ammo that shoots damn good out of my rifle!!!

Took the Norma 130's out to 800yds wednesday. Shooting north, had a variable 5-10mph NE wind, was generally holding .5 mil right. I'm thinking it performed very well. Went ahead and ordered another case last night for this months' match. I made a video shooting an IPSC at 800 and an 8x5 inch plate at 800.

Looks like you are shooting at CLD.

I tried the Norma ammo today. It was dissapointing.

ES of 80fps
    SD of 25fps.

That's not acceptable in my book.

Yes I am! You must be in the Wichita area as well. As you know Derek runs a great range! Couldn't ask for a better place to practice and compete.
    I have only shot there once, hope to make the match later this month.

Went back out and tried the Norma ammo again. Still very high velocity deviations.

Couple things 1) shooting out of my A.I. and my GAP-10, the Norma ammo was crap. I was sorely disappointed. Idk if it is just my two rifles, but it was moa at best. Both of these rifles have done, and will everyday do better.
    I’ve shot a BUNCH of the Hornady 140 and 147. I was all set to call 147 my ammo and never change. It shoots fantastic, and I have gone out to a mile with it. Then, the last 2 times I’ve been to Sportsman’s Wearhouse, they’ve been out of 147, and I’ve had to grab 140. I’ll be darned if it isn’t fantastic too. Was shooting at 1250 with my GAP-10, and they were stacking in quite nicely. In the future, I’ll shoot whatever. I have my dope chart/come ups for both bullets on both rifles now. I literally have shot over 500 or so rounds of each, and can’t see a difference in my rifles.

To the original post questions. The 143 ELD-X shoots excellent. It is like a match hunting round. It’s more expensive to shoot, but the accuracy and b.c. is great. It should be an excellent hunting round. I’ve seen groups of .75” or less. From hunting ammo, that’s fantastic.

Reactions: Bender