• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5CM...move away from 140 ELD-M?

Tim_WNC

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2014
Western NC
When I bought my 6.5CM I bought a bunch of Hornady 140gr Match for barrel break-in, getting used to the rifle, etc. I had good luck with the load, so when it came time to stock up on components, I just went ahead with 140 ELD-M. I've now got 250 rounds through the rifle and need to reorder components.

If I'm getting good results from this bullet, is there any reason to try out anything else? Would I see a noticeable advantage going to Berger, Sierra, or whomever? At this point, 'getting good results' means I know it's me limiting the results, not the load. 5" steel at 450 yards is not a problem with this load.

For what it's worth, my load is 42.2 RL-17, Hornady brass (2-4x fired) and WLR primers. I'm getting ~2680 fps.

Reactions: LG65CM
If you're getting acceptable accuracy with a 140 ELD-M, then there's no major reason to change; there are only a handful of 6.5mm bullets that offer a better G7 BC. Unless you'll be lobbing them out to beyond 1,000 pretty regularly, I'd stay where you are.

From an "on paper" wind deflection standpoint, you don't really have many bullets that are perceptibly better unless you step up to a 147/150 class of bullet (or pay are willing to pay for the newer A-Tips).

Now as far as if something will shoot more accurately, it's impossible to say until you try it.

You're already getting a great 'bang for the buck' performance wise out of the 140ELD-M. If your'e happy with the results, go buy 3,000 of them and shoot the barrel out.

My 2c.

I agree with Mike. You’re splitting hairs chasing more BC/performance since the eld’s are right there, and the eld’s are cheaper. I’ve bought thousands of them on sale(and the 147’s), and never paid over $30/100 shipped. If it ain’t broke.....

I've moved from the 140's to the 147's

Seem to get the exact same speeds and you get a bump in BC

Reactions: 10ring1
I have ran almost 2k of the 140’s and I don’t see a need for a change. Works plenty well for me out to 1300 yards.

Maybe 147’s if they are the same price but not willing to change if they are more.

I have a new box that I have never used.

Reactions: LG65CM
I have ran almost 2k of the 140’s and I don’t see a need for a change. Works plenty well for me out to 1300 yards.

Maybe 147’s if they are the same price but not willing to change if they are more.

I have a new box that I have never used.

While you have to hunt a bit for 140 sales, it seems like the 147’s are perpetually on sale. I think they’re the less popular bullet. I love them, and they’re what I shoot most.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
Since I got my first 6.5 Creedmoor rifle about seven or eight years ago, I've tried Berger, Sierra, Barnes, Nosler, Hornady, and probably another brand or two. I've even tried several different bullets from each maker, but I keep buying the 140 ELDM because, like the AMAX before them, they just seem to work in every rifle I've shot them through. It didn't matter if it was a Bartlein, Krieger, Benchmark, Hawk Hill, you name it, the 140 ELDMs just worked. The only other 6.5 bullet I keep on hand now is the Hornady 140 BTHP because it too just works for me.

This isn't a "Rah rah Hornady" post and I'm far from brand loyal. If Sierra or Berger or any of those other bullets significantly outperformed the ELDM, I would use them, but i can't justify spending more from a cost/benefit analysis standpoint for something that doesn't provide me with a marked improvement over what I'm currently using. If you're getting the results you want from the ELDM, why switch?

I've moved from the 140's to the 147's

Seem to get the exact same speeds and you get a bump in BC

I did as well but most of my shooting is focused at 800 and beyond.

OP,,,,,if the 140’s are treating you well it would be kinda silly to change.

Could go 130’s and be flatter to 1000.

Could go 147’s and get better wind resistance and thump past 1000.

The 140’s are momma bear and momma bear will treat you right.

Reactions: Tim_WNC
Thanks all. My home range goes out to 700 and I have 1,000+ available somewhat locally. The last match I shot was out to 850. So, I may try some 147s but will keep on keeping on with the 140 ELD-Ms for the bulk of it.

You might could try a few different bullets just to experiment a little who knows if you don't try?

When I bought my 6.5CM I bought a bunch of Hornady 140gr Match for barrel break-in, getting used to the rifle, etc. I had good luck with the load, so when it came time to stock up on components, I just went ahead with 140 ELD-M. I've now got 250 rounds through the rifle and need to reorder components.

If I'm getting good results from this bullet, is there any reason to try out anything else? Would I see a noticeable advantage going to Berger, Sierra, or whomever? At this point, 'getting good results' means I know it's me limiting the results, not the load. 5" steel at 450 yards is not a problem with this load.

For what it's worth, my load is 42.2 RL-17, Hornady brass (2-4x fired) and WLR primers. I'm getting ~2680 fps.

You're getting 2680 and using 42.2 gns of RL-17? Wow. I'm at that and a few FPS higher using only 40.4 gns of RL-17. Hornady brass, 1-3x fired, Fed 210 primers. COAL 2.80 using either Hornady 140 ELD-M or Hornady 140 HPBTs. 24" Chrom-Moly 5R barrel. I'm dropping my powder and trickling up using a GemPro 250. Measuring my MV using Labradar. Wonder what's up with that difference?

Back more on topic- I got same view and experience as Canesack posted. Stick with your 140 ELDMs.

You're getting 2680 and using 42.2 gns of RL-17? Wow. I'm at that and a few FPS higher using only 40.4 gns of RL-17. Hornady brass, 1-3x fired, Fed 210 primers. COAL 2.80 using either Hornady 140 ELD-M or Hornady 140 HPBTs. 24" Chrom-Moly 5R barrel. I'm dropping my powder and trickling up using a GemPro 250. Measuring my MV using Labradar. Wonder what's up with that difference?

Back more on topic- I got same view and experience as Canesack posted. Stick with your 140 ELDMs.

Im betting a short, factory barrel.

I say keep what works, esp at those distances.

I tried a bunch of factory loads last year and saved the brass to start hand loading this year. I did not see much difference between the various ELD-M bullet weights so I settled on the 147's because of the higher BC. Working up loads now with Alliant RL26 and 147 gr. ELD-M bullets and they are lasers from the get go for me.

Finding a node is gonna be picking flyshit out of pepper.....everything shoots sub MOA at 100 with ease.

VooDoo

Sorry...bit of a typo. I'm at 41.2gr of RL-17 from a 24" Tikka TAC A1.

"They" tell me 2680 fps is way, super slow. For me, if it is accurate and repeatable at distance (with low velocity SD's) , the MV is less significant. Especially for 1000 yards and under

I tried the Hornady bullets. I had better results wither Berger Hybrid Target.

Reactions: JOE62
I've ran about 1500 147s through my Bartlein 26" at 2755 fps since December and they perform great for me. Validated it's trajectory out to 1450 yards.
I use it nearly exclusively for PRS and field matches and usually finish in the top ten shooters for one day regional points matches.

It has only a slight advantage in wind deflection over 115 gr dtacs and the difference between it and 140s is negligible.
I've contemplated dropping to 140s/130s for a slight reduction in recoil. The 140s shoot just as accurately for me.
At the end of the day, I have my 147s dialed and they shoot great for me.
I think the Hornady ELD-M are a great value and I get the 147s at about 26$ a box. I don't have any trouble developing single digit SD loads and shooting under 1/2 moa on paper.
For the games I play that is more than enough.

If there's one thing I've learned in this game, if you have something that's running great, be it gear, load, etc, DON'T change it. You are only asking for grief. I know from experience.
If the 140s are performing for you, run em til the barrel is toast then change.

I tried a bunch of factory loads last year and saved the brass to start hand loading this year. I did not see much difference between the various ELD-M bullet weights so I settled on the 147's because of the higher BC. Working up loads now with Alliant RL26 and 147 gr. ELD-M bullets and they are lasers from the get go for me.

Finding a node is gonna be picking flyshit out of pepper.....everything shoots sub MOA at 100 with ease.

VooDoo

I moved out to 200 for load development for the 147's for the same reason. Finally saw what was still same hole grouping vs getting paper in-between what was touching holes at 100.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
I've shot a boat-load of 142 SMK's just because how consistent each projectile was on weight and length. That being said, I'm probably going to jump over to ELD's soon because they are usually cheaper and seem to have the same performance. If you like testing and tickering, try whatever you like, but I would switch if you've already got results you like.