• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5Creedmoor/H4831SC

kabarNC

Learning..
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 11, 2017
    Carolina
    Just rebarreled to a 22" suppressed 6.5 Creedmoor and also own a .284Win, so I have alot of H4831SC sitting around. Any experience with this powder for 6.5 Creed? I'm wanting to shoot bullets on the heavier side, say 140gr and up. Do you use magnum primers? And what's a good starting charge weight for an OCW?

It is hard to get too much in the case with 4831sc without compressing on the 6.5 creed using a reasonable seating depth. You will likly find your load around 44 to 45.5 grains, so as always start low and work up.

It is hard to get too much in the case with 4831sc without compressing on the 6.5 creed using a reasonable seating depth. You will likly find your load around 44 to 45.5 grains, so as always start low and work up.

Thank you kindly. Any benefit of magnum primers?

I find slightly better SD's but I usually find that by switching between primer types/brands and not so much that magnums always produce lower SD's.

Reactions: kabarNC
    I dont recall my load, but i had a 6.5 cm shooting 140 hornadys at 2700 fps in a 24" barrel, using 4831 sc. It worked great. It did not so well with the 120 class bullets.

Reactions: kabarNC
    My 6.5 Creedmoor load with H4831SC is 42.5gr with a 140 ELD, Hornady brass, and Fed LR gold medal match primers. This is an accurate load but only 2656fps in my 26" PVA Tikka prefit barrel. I could get .5MOA easily with 5 shot groups, and I also shot some sub MOA 20shot groups rapid fire with it. I used this load for a couple tactical matches so I wanted to see how extended strings affected accuracy. FWIW That barrel seems to be very fast. (I was getting 2840fps with the 140ELD factory load.)

My 6.5 Creedmoor load with H4831SC is 42.5gr with a 140 ELD, Hornady brass, and Fed LR gold medal match primers. This is an accurate load but only 2656fps in my 26" PVA Tikka prefit barrel. I could get .5MOA easily with 5 shot groups, and I also shot some sub MOA 20shot groups rapid fire with it. I used this load for a couple tactical matches so I wanted to see how extended strings affected accuracy. FWIW That barrel seems to be very fast. (I was getting 2840fps with the 140ELD factory load.)

Do you mean 45.2 grains instead of 42.5?

No, 42.5 grains worked the best for me. Very accurate with single digit SD. When I worked up that load I tested from 42.0 up to 45.6 and 42.5 was most consistent in my rifle.

I was at 44.9 with 4831 sc, wlr primers, hornady brass. Getting 2700 fps from a 24" christensen barrel.

I love H4831sc in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have taken loads up to 48 grains with a mv of 2900 fps at 3000' elevation at 80 F triple verified with a labradar, ir, and magnetospeed chronoys(nice to have alot of shooting buddies with different gear). My most most accurate load with best sd however is 46.5 gr. I shoot this load with 14o rdf's seated .010 off the lands out of a criterion match 26" 1/8 twist with a can. I just started load work ups with a new 1/7.5 twist shooting 150smk's and the loads look promising with a mv nearer 2900 with primers still looking okay.

I think you will be hard pressed to get enough powder in the creedmoor case with 4831SC. Something with a little faster burn rate would work better for a 22 inch barrel.

I was using 4831SC and 147 ELD's with great results. I had a 26" Criterion barrel 7.5 twist and with 45.6 grains I was getting 2810 FPS. It was right on the verge of pressure so after a bit I backed down to 44.7 and got 2787 FPS. Very accurate load for my barrel. I never experimented with magnum primers though, just Fed 210M's.

Reactions: DEWD_STUFF
    You can easily get 46.5ish grains before you start to compress the powder in 6.5 creed if you seat your bullets out long. Sierra is the only reloading manual I know of that calls out H4831sc in the 6.5 creed with 140 class bullets. https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2017/01/09/sierra-bullets-6-5-creedmoor-load-data/ I was getting desperate when the H4350 shortage started for a powder that was stable in 115 degree August heat and found that I actually prefer H4831sc results to my H4350 load. I was very compressed at 48 grains finding the upper limit of this combo for my barrel though so do not be fooled work up to the max load for your set up with caution obviously. Buddy who has a reaper that I load rounds for can only get 44.5 before he gets pressure signs but he is still in the 2825 range.

First load with Nosler 140gr RDF and 44gr of H4831SC. Five shot groups averaged less than .75 MOA. Don't have a chrono so! Barrel is 22" cut down from a 26" Savage FV. Hornady brass, CCI-BR2 primer. COAL=2.850".

FWIW the best brass I have used in the 6.5CM is Sellier & Bellot. Have used Lapua, Hornady, Winchester, and Federal. So far S&B is tops.

Had anyone seen a major difference between H4831 and H4831sc. I would imagine the additional surface area has an effect on burn rate.

I was shooting 45.7g with the 143 ELD in my 26" barrel @2840 I believe. The same load in my 23" barrel dumped quite a bit of unburned powder in my suppressor making it get hot really fast. I switched over the RL15 and 123s for the shorter barrel. Then a bunch of 140s and h4350. I will get back to my 26" barrel someday. I was about to put it back on, but I put on a 22-250 instead. :ROFLMAO: