• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5creedmoor vs 260rem for long range competition

Joe, my point was people get all worked up about Lapua brass and use it as a reason to use a round. I have used Lapua brass years ago in my .308 when it was $33/100 and it's good but it's just brass. Nothing to get super excited about. I actually went to Win brass back then from Lapua to shoot matches as it was cheaper, shot just as good and I didn't mind losing it.

Luv, Hornady loads the Creedmoor to a certain pressure spec. When they started back around 5 years ago the first loads were with that lot of H4350 was 41.5grns. From that point on there may or may not be 41.5grns in there depending on the certain lot used to load that ammo. They aren't going to change the label on every lot of ammo. 41.5grns is a good starting point for reloaders.

Joe,

I anneal my 6.5CM cases every 5th round. I have over 7300rd through the same ~360 pieces of brass that I've been using (I lost a few over the last 2 years). That averages across the group to about 20 loadings each. There are definitely some cases in there with closer to 30 reloads on them.

There's not a big secret to making brass last a long time, the fact that most folks treat their brass with such disregard and still get 10 firings out of it is impressive of the material's applicability to what we're doing with it.

My loads are not soft with 140's over 43.5gr of H4350 loaded relatively short (2.81)

Its already been said but the 2 area almost identical. What is your usage? If you are going to be running matches where you may end up loosing 40% of your brass, it makes a helluva lot more sense to go Creedmore over 260 and run the Hornady brass over Lapua from a cost perspective.

Just something extra to think about.

Man this had my head spinning, talked with Rock Creek yesterday, after some discussion, basically confirming what you guys said I decided to go with the 260 at this time. Ordered a rem prefit 26 inch threaded at the end, 8 twist, cut rifled AMU contour. Thanks for the education gents.

Some one please educate me on 8 vs 8.5 twist rate, seems most people are running 8 twist with the 140 or 142s.

Recommended the 8 or the 8.5 twist after I told him I will be pumping 140is grain projectiles down range. I chose the 8 because lead time for getting the barrel is half the 8.5 twist is.

Some one please educate me on 8 vs 8.5 twist rate, seems most people are running 8 twist with the 140 or 142s.

The 8.5 twist is a little faster than a 9 and a little slower than an 8...duh!:)
If you intend to run anything other than the 140 amax or 139 scenars then definitely go with the 8 twist. The 8.5 will likely be marginal at best for the Bergers.
I am basing this off of what Litz says in his book. The real world may be different, but why risk it? If you can find an 8 go with the 8 by all means. I went with the 8.5 in a Krieger 5r because it was sitting on the shelf at brunos. I intend to use 140 amax exclusively so I'm gtg.

I was planning on chambering a 260 ai, but concerned with mag oal using accuracy int magazines.

Can I honestly expect to get the 140s over 2900 fps with the creedmore? Like to ask before I commit to chambering

Thanks

hey texote, i keep getting email saying my pm box is full and you're trying to pm me, but doesn't include your actual message. my email should be in in my sig now

Can I honestly expect to get the 140s over 2900 fps with the creedmore? Like to ask before I commit to chambering

Thanks

No one can say with certainty that you will with the Creedmoor or even the .260. Depends on variables like barrel length and internal dimensions and chamber. My Creedmoor does it and I know others but I know people who can't as well. I wouldn't make the blanket statement for either caliber to guarantee over 2900fps with a 140.

My 22.5" barrel throws the 140 Hornady Match @ 2800fps and the 140 Amax @ 2820fps, both loaded up short. The rifle has been hammering both loads for almost 2800rds and I have not felt the need to chase out the lands when an Amax @ 2.815" OAL still shoots in the high 0.2's @ 500yd.

Thank you for the data point, I am seriously considering turning a 26" 6.5x284 barrel into a 20-22" CM and 2800fps from a 22.5" tube is perfect for my needs.

I was planning on chambering a 260 ai, but concerned with mag oal using accuracy int magazines.

Thanks

Speed isn't everything. I've got a buddy whose got a gap .260 and I've got a gap 6.5. Both 8.5. His is a little faster than mine but we both shoot in the subs out to 1100 yards. Anything past that its time for the Win mag

Thank you for the data point, I am seriously considering turning a 26" 6.5x284 barrel into a 20-22" CM and 2800fps from a 22.5" tube is perfect for my needs.

Glad to help, if you need a hand getting started with data after the rechambering send me a PM and I'll do what I can.

On a brass life note, I had my very first case head separation this weekend from worn out brass. 1 case ever so slightly split, I didn't notice it until I was picking up brass from the ground and inspecting it before putting it back in the box. The piece had more than 25 reloads on it.

I just got my 260 rem yesterday havent been able to go to the range yet but will next weekend. Its a rem 700 s/a with 28in 1:8 twist bbl made by a local gunsmith who has been doing this his whole life. The gun looks like a beast sitting in the hs precision stock in grey with black web. Can't wait to shoot it the gunsmith said it should be a lot of fun and a competition winner. I hope it is :)

I'm a weekend plinker, and I'd like to be able to shoot steel out to 1000 yards or so. I'm leaning towards an AI AE MKIII 6.5 Creedmoor. I'd like a folder and I'd also like to keep the barrel relatively short...like 24". What do you think? Also, any benefit to a muzzle brake? Thank you for your advise.

The 24" will work fine, my 260 is a 24" and my 308 a 22". However, next time I will re-barrel the 260 to a 26" for the added fps. I like running suppressed or using a muzzle break! I didn't like the MB's at first, but now everything is suppressed or has a MB. It allows me to spot my shots and get back/advance to the next target faster.

My two cents!

I'm very happy with the performance of my 6.5 creedmoor so far. Just got some solid 800 yard hits on steel with my savage model 12 lrp and a 26" barrel. I'm shooting 140gr a-maxs with 41.5gr h4350 @ 2805 temp 70F. Basically negligible recoil, no muzzle brake needed and I can spot my shots. My rifle weighs in at 14lbs though because of the heavy savage barrel.

Next up, 1000 yards! I'm interested to see how far she can reliably go. My charts say 1400 yards before I bump into the transonic range.

Last edited: