• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6.5mm Ammunition Crunch-Time

earthquake

Area Man
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    I'm finally getting really close to having my .264 built and am trying to figure out my loaded ammunition options before I decide which round to chamber.

This may be a dumb question, but is Hornady the only mfg of 6.5 Creedmoor ammunition? I don't see any on Southwest's site.

Another question, if I decide to chamber in .260, then where else should I look for good loaded ammo?

I want to build up a supply of brass by buying loaded ammo before I jump into reloading. That way I can get out and shoot the rifle in the meantime too.

I've only seen .260 ammo for $30 to $43 per 20-round boxes. I'd like to get 500 rounds right off the bat, but that's $773 - $1,088 of ammo.

Thanks in advance.

Re: 6.5mm Ammunition Crunch-Time

I have a surgeon Scalpel in 6.5 Creedmoor and its my favorite rifle .
    others are AWM's in 308 and 338 and a Tac 30 custom build in 308

Hornaday is currently the only mfg for the 6.5 Credmoor and its not easy to find components for .

Loaded you can get pretty regulary but there is a group but here at the hide for Sierra , Hornaday and Lapua they may have the loaded 6.5 for you at a discount.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3670706#Post3670706
    Best of luck but the 6.5 is a great unit
    Bill

I know you want loaded ammom first . BUT....
    Just find a bunch of fed match 308 brass , run it through the 260 die and your set . I get 3 more loadings from the fed 308 than the 260. The win brass was just way to soft .

Greg

I just got a Ga Precision 6.5 creedmor in the Crusader. First, the hornady brass is 33$ per 50 on midway. It is not the typical hornady brass. Looks more like Lapua to me. Second, the hornady manufactured ammo in 140 grain amax will shoot as good as any reloads. 26$ a box of 20. Third, if you do reload, your looking to get 155 to 170 loads per pound of powder. Economical Laser Beams is what they should be called.

Go with the 6.5 creedmoor if you don't reload or even if you do and just don't want to reload all the time. I have several rifles in 6.5cm and could not be happier.

Hornady 140AMAXs loaded ammo is excellent and very accurate. There are some private reloading companies that reload for 6.5cm, do a search on sniper's hide forum, but in generally hornady is the only company that provider factory 6.5cm loaded ammo.

6.5cm loaded ammo will usually be cheaper than 260rem. That is because Hornady has kept their loaded 6.5cm ammo relatively affordable because they want people to buy it and get a bigger following for their caliber for which the 260rem is the closest competitor.

For 260rem...HSM, Black Hills and CorBon manufactures loaded match grade ammo.

Check Creedmoor sports for 140 gr hornady CM. People seem to check everywhere but there and they always seem to have it every time I order, usually in all 3: 140, 120 and 129SST.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/6.5_Creedmoor_Ammunition.html

You can reload and up velocity, but you will be hard pressed to roll a more accurate load than the factory 140s. They even come with the load printed right on the box for when you decide to reload your fired brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Coppper Creek 6.5CM ammo

Haven't tried it myself; found it when looking for someone else interested in a 6.5 CM but doesn't reload.

HTH,

Monte </div></div>

I have a good friend who shoots Copper Creek 6.5 Creed, and it hammers!

Josh is GTG!

Midwayusa shows to be offering brass and loaded creedmoor ammo by Nosler sometime starting this month. The price is kinda high, but its another option in the creedmoor class.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeff1383</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Midwayusa shows to be offering brass and loaded creedmoor ammo by Nosler sometime starting this month. The price is kinda high, but its another option in the creedmoor class. </div></div>

Wonder what they are thinking? Offering brass and loaded ammo that is nearly twice as expensive, trying to compete with some of the best factory ammo out there. Seems like they are setting themselves up for failure. If the price was closer maybe they would be on to something.

I went with the Creedmoor. The rifle is currently being built by RWS. I also picked up ammo from Midway. Next step is to begin gathering reloading equipment.

Thanks for all the recommendations. Is there any info around here on the AMAX vs. the SST ammo from Hornady? Was interested in trying some of the 129 grn. SST. I bought the 140 AMAX first to try out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went with the Creedmoor. The rifle is currently being built by RWS. I also picked up ammo from Midway. Next step is to begin gathering reloading equipment.

Thanks for all the recommendations. Is there any info around here on the AMAX vs. the SST ammo from Hornady? Was interested in trying some of the 129 grn. SST. I bought the 140 AMAX first to try out.</div></div>

There is plenty in the new hornady 9th edition manual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went with the Creedmoor. The rifle is currently being built by RWS. I also picked up ammo from Midway. Next step is to begin gathering reloading equipment.

Thanks for all the recommendations. Is there any info around here on the AMAX vs. the SST ammo from Hornady? Was interested in trying some of the 129 grn. SST. I bought the 140 AMAX first to try out.</div></div>

The SST is geared towards hunting. Perfectly good round, but not loaded specifically for target like the Amax rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pyrofx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I know you want loaded ammom first . BUT....
    Just find a bunch of fed match 308 brass , run it through the 260 die and your set . I get 3 more loadings from the fed 308 than the 260. The win brass was just way to soft .

Greg </div></div> Strange, I have always heard the opposite.

I went .260, though the CM looks great, I dont regret it for a second.

The best deal is the ones that have it in stock. I managed to grab 500 rounds for $24.10 a box but now they are sold out. I have about 10 email notifications to different sites when they get it back in stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohn141</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best deal is the ones that have it in stock. I managed to grab 500 rounds for $24.10 a box but now they are sold out. I have about 10 email notifications to different sites when they get it back in stock. </div></div>

I ain't paying upwards of $2 / round, even if it is "in stock"

I just got the Midway birthday email, with birthday price discounts, and don't know what to buy. Was of course going to get more Hornady 140 Amax rounds, but they're sold out...shit, I could get them for <$24/box!

So, I might get bullets instead, to get ready for reloading. I've heard good things about the Berger VLD 130 grainers. For a 25" 8.5 twist Bartlein, which bullets should I consider? It's for a Creedmoor. Thanks in advance.

I doubt you will go wrong with the 130 Bergers. I shoot a .260, not a Creedmor, but in all reality it's six of one, half dozen of another. Check out the Sierra 142 Match Kings. My rifle shot them really well, only downside, they're pricy. To make a long story short, I switched to 140 AMAX's and never looked back, they shot just as good as the Sierra's and were $10 per 100 cheaper. That's a win-win in my book. If you keep your eyes peeled, I'm sure you will see some AMAX start trickling back in stock somewhere soon. I got lucky and ordered 1000 of them 2 weeks ago from Wideners. Should be enough to get me through the match season .

I have a 6.5 and I was running the 140 AMAX with great results, however, when I got my last batch of bullets, I don't know if it was the new AMP jackets or what, but my rifle does not like them anymore. The old batch of AMAX I could shoot a ragged hole, the new ones....not so much. They still group decent, but definitely don't shoot as well as the old bunch. I have switched to the 139 grain Lapua Scenars. They seem to shoot much better (not just out of my rifle, but several of my team-mates as well) Good luck to you and enjoy the rifle! I am having trouble finding powder right now, everything is back ordered....fucking jackwagon poloticians are fucking up my hobby just by talking about fucking up my hobby!

Hognuts, there was supposedly a bad lot of 140 AMAX's out there, like 1 MOA or worse bad. Maybe you got unlucky and got some of those.

Could be....I don't know why they would change a product that was working flawlessly before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grkmec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohn141</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best deal is the ones that have it in stock. I managed to grab 500 rounds for $24.10 a box but now they are sold out. I have about 10 email notifications to different sites when they get it back in stock. </div></div>

I ain't paying upwards of $2 / round, even if it is "in stock" </div></div>

There's 20 rounds in a box...
    That would be $1.21 per round and if you pick up your brass to reload it that's worth 70¢ so that first round only costs you 51¢....pretty darn cheap for loaded ammo.

I really like the 130 Bergers but with that being said and like it was said earlier it's 6 of that and a half a dozen of the other.

Out of my .260 Rem. and 6.5x55 Swede, I also have shot 120gr. Sierra's, 123 Lapua's, 139 Lapua's and the 140 Sierra's.

I'm looking forward to the new 136gr. Lapua's that are coming out to give those a try.

All of those bullets will shoot great for you.

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grkmec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohn141</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best deal is the ones that have it in stock. I managed to grab 500 rounds for $24.10 a box but now they are sold out. I have about 10 email notifications to different sites when they get it back in stock. </div></div>

I ain't paying upwards of $2 / round, even if it is "in stock" </div></div>

There's 20 rounds in a box...
    That would be $1.21 per round and if you pick up your brass to reload it that's worth 70¢ so that first round only costs you 51¢....pretty darn cheap for loaded ammo. </div></div>

Math, who needs it lol. I have 500 Hybrids that are going in the brass when I get them shot up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Cofox,

130VLD's shot very well in my 6.5CM. </div></div>
    WTF, new gun?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Cofox,

130VLD's shot very well in my 6.5CM. </div></div>
    WTF, new gun? </div></div>

Previous gun, I'll send you a chart so you can keep up. Will be up your way the week of the 18th, hopefully the wind is only blowing 30mph!

Sorry about the hi-jack Cofox, congrats on the build.