• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 6.5mm SAUM Bean Bear @ 988

SHL540KB308

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2007
Indiana
Great day for the new build. Got to the range and set up, took a sighter for windage @ 1000. Everything looked pretty good. Actually a nice day here in Indiana, mid 60's and a 2-6mph wind from the right. I just set back and waited. Talked to some of the other shooter's to pass the day waiting, every so often scanning @ 1000 for a Bean Bear and take a windage check about every 2 hours, just for fun. Finally after 6 hours one appeared near the 1000 yard line. Dialed in 1.0 MOA right for the wind and pressed one off. He's down! A member watching the action said he was still moving. That's ok, he's not going far. From watching the hit I knew it was pretty solid. We drove down to take some picture's and the bullet entered his left shoulder and came out the right side of his neck.
65saum40.jpg

Fired 4 shots total for the day and 3 were for a windage check. Ranged back to the line and it was 988 yards. My estimate was 985 yards when I took the shot, pretty close. Spring is off to a good start for the 6.5mm. I think it will do just fine.

Later, Brad

Re: 6.5mm SAUM Bean Bear @ 988

Isn't that cheating with that rifle, Brad?

Hell of a shot, good job. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it down this Wednesday.

Thanks Mike, Tuesday (tomorrow) is when I'm going up again. It's so nice, I do feel a little guilty shooting it.

Take it easy and heal up fast!

Later, Brad B.

The RL25 load that I am shooting now, 3160fps. Nice soft load and excellent accuracy. 21.25 MOA gets me to 1000 with 100yd 0.

Brad

That's a real nice shot Brad. And that rifle is amazing, even better in person. I look forward to going back down there and maybe getting myself a groundhog. Again, nice shooting.

Justin.

And specs on the cartridge and where you got your reamer. I run the 139 scenar about 2700 on a good day. I'd like to shoot it at that velocity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And specs on the cartridge and where you got your reamer. I run the 139 scenar about 2700 on a good day. I'd like to shoot it at that velocity. </div></div>

where in indiana were you shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">more pics of that rifle please
grin.gif
</div></div>

yup... what he said !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would definately like more info on that cartridge and the rifle!</div></div>

Me too!

I have an addiction to blasting those fuzzy things and would love to start the season out by taking one at that range. Congratulations on your shot! Well done.....By the way, I like the glove, those things can be nasty...

Thanks guys, Brad Arnett made a post about it in the bolt action rifles section on 03-07-2010. Do not have many picture's of it yet.

65saum31.jpg

Gary Eliseo S1 stock
Savage Target action
Krieger 30" Med Palma - 8.5 - 4 grove barrel
NXS 5.5x22x56 NP-R1
David Kiff does all of my reamers
Redding custom dies

All I did was take the Remington 7mm SAUM brass and reduce to 6.5mm. Loaded a dummy round and sent it to David for the reamer. Running a simple no turn neck. Redding has the dies listed in their custom section. Built this rifle just for shooting the 139gr Lapua Scenar's at goundhogs beyond 800 yards. Right now RL25 seems to be working the best for me @ 3160 fps. Gets me to 1000 yards using 21.25 MOA. Usually I run a 30 caliber, this is my first small bore, seems to be working pretty good for me, Will see after I take a few more shots at some bean bears. Base to Ogive is 2.312 on a loaded round.

Young's Range near Woodruff & Wolcottville Indiana is where I shoot. Some of the other hide members shoot there also. The bean bears are just an extra bonus while at the range. Not my longest shot, but the first one for the new 6.5mm.

Later, Brad B.