• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5saum no turn neck

cblackwell

Private
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2013
Surprise Az
Has anyone done or have any information they could share on 6.5saum with a no turn neck chamber? I haven't been able to find any info on this. Perhaps its because accuracy would be greatly affected by not turning the neck? Maybe it is much simpler than I think to turn necks but, it is a little intimidating for a rookie like myself. thanks for any info you could share!

Necking down brass deforms it, turning the neck, trues it.

Shooting it and resizing does too. Unless you're shooting BR you'll be hard pressed to see any difference. I've shot the last season in F with an unturned 7-270wsm and could not tell a difference between it and my previous tight neck versions.

The no neck turn reamer has a .298" neck diameter. The neck turn reamer is .2962" so if you don't turn necks in the neck turn reamer then the brass will not fit. If you don't want to turn necks then have your gun chambered with a .298" neck diameter reamer.

The no neck turn reamer has a .298" neck diameter. The neck turn reamer is .2962" so if you don't turn necks in the neck turn reamer then the brass will not fit. If you don't want to turn necks then have your gun chambered with a .298" neck diameter reamer.

thank you very much! so I would want the chamber reamed with the 4s reamer but with .298" neck diameter?

Barney88PDC have you chambered with these specs? If so was the outcome just as great as the tight neck chamber guys a reporting . thanks for the reply.

It's not going to be as simple as getting a reamer with a large enough neck if you won't accuracy from multiple firings of the same brass. As stated above, when you neck down say 7SAUM brass to 6.5SAUM, you will eventually get a doughnut in the neck, and you'll need to either neck turn or ream the brass. Accuracy will go otherwise.

It's not going to be as simple as getting a reamer with a large enough neck if you won't accuracy from multiple firings of the same brass. As stated above, when you neck down say 7SAUM brass to 6.5SAUM, you will eventually get a doughnut in the neck, and you'll need to either neck turn or ream the brass. Accuracy will go otherwise.

thanks palma, I have spent afew hours today on youtube ect, looking into neck turning. I have a better understanding of it now and it looks more time consuming than difficult. looks like there are lots of options for neck turning equipment as well. With the performance of this cartridge combined with great barrel life they are reporting, Its hard not to have this one in the top choice of a LR build. Thanks to all who have replied!

No I do not have a rifle in this caliber. The information I posted is available in post #306 in the thread.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...s/185807-new-gap-extreme-hunter-6-5-saum.html

Factory brass is supposed to happen some time this year and it will be speced for the neck turn reamer. Meaning the tighter neck but it will NOT need to be turned. If this is a match gun then you may have a reason to go no neck turn. If it is a hunting rig I would go with the tighter neck and just buy prepped turned neck brass from Copper Creek. Yes it is a bit expensive but 50 cases should do for hunting.

Last edited:
Op..
We have 3 6.5 saum chambered with the .298 nk. We turn all the brass.. We made a conscious decision to go with the .298 nk for field rifles... .264 bullet + .032 neck thickness (.016 per side) is .296... That is .002 total clearence.
We turn the necks on 7mm and 300 brass to about .0155..
We had .296 nks but opened them to .298... Did not like how thin we had to turn the brass.
All these rifles shoot sub .5 moa...
I have some test brass that has 22 firings on it, pockets are about done.. But no donuts and still shoot great.
Good luck and enjoy the rifle

I can't thank all of you enough for all the great info. Definately gonna build a 6.5saum and hope to share the success that others have had. Thanks again

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2