• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5x284 load help needed

cecchino76

Solo shooter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2013
    North Carolina
    Hey guys ; I am seeking for load data for 6.5/284 ;
    Maybe there is some thread around the hide but I can't find it;
    I have Lapua brass, H 4831 , and a couple of different pills,
    Also using FGM 210M primers
    Rem 700 with 27" SS barrel
    every suggestion will be truly appreciated
    Thank Hiders;)

I use 56.6 in my shehane under a 142smk, and I think it is 56 in my straight case of H4831SC. Both are awesome. H4831 and H4831SC are the same powder, just the SC is cut shorter. I wouldnt thing you would have to swap powders out. They did it for metering purposes IIRC. Good luck

I run 56gr 4831sc, 140gr VLD in lapua brass... 3077fps laser
    26" barrel

I am running the same load in a Savage and as posted it is a Laser, my velocity is only 3020 but everything else is the same

I use 56.6 in my shehane under a 142smk, and I think it is 56 in my straight case of H4831SC. Both are awesome. H4831 and H4831SC are the same powder, just the SC is cut shorter. I wouldnt thing you would have to swap powders out. They did it for metering purposes IIRC. Good luck

Thans a lot Robert;
    I have some short cut powder on the way ;)
    Can't wait to try

I started with 51g H4831SC with a 142 sierra in a Laupa case with Russian primers in a Lilja 30" target gun. Don't recall velocity but it was good enough for a 2nd place at a big NRA 1000yd regional. That is a very popular load. It also shot well in my other 6.5-.284. I have tried H4350 and it shoots well. H4350 is another popular powder with HP shooters.

I am a newbie with this caliber. Actually just sighted in my Savage LRH this past weekend. I worked up a couple of different loadings to see what might work. Best group came from lapua brass, 142 gr SMKs with Federal GM210M and 50 grains H4831. Average velocity was 2780. It was only 100 yards three shot group right at .3 inches.

Attachments

• .3 inch group with 6.5x284.jpg
      .3 inch group with 6.5x284.jpg
      204.7 KB · Views: 23
    I am a newbie with this caliber. Actually just sighted in my Savage LRH this past weekend. I worked up a couple of different loadings to see what might work. Best group came from lapua brass, 142 gr SMKs with Federal GM210M and 50 grains H4831. Average velocity was 2780. It was only 100 yards three shot group right at .3 inches.

That's good grouping bud ;
    I'll go out this week and try few loads my self ,
    will surely post results here

Oh yea, almost forgot, keep the 142 SMK's below or just at 3000 fps or so for best results. You Will also be chasing the throat on that barrel faster then you might think so check length every 100 rds or so and add a little more powder to maintain velocity when things get long in the tooth. Years ago I started with 51g H4831SC and in the end I was up to 53g, (142 SMK) I think....

Oh yea, almost forgot, keep the 142 SMK's below or just at 3000 fps or so for best results. You Will also be chasing the throat on that barrel faster then you might think so check length every 100 rds or so and add a little more powder to maintain velocity when things get long in the tooth. Years ago I started with 51g H4831SC and in the end I was up to 53g, (142 SMK) I think....

I'll keep this in mind , those are exactly the next components I want to try ( H4831sc and 142 SMK )
    Thanks