• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing 6.5X284 question

hoof_arted

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2011
Oregon
I've been wanting to start a 6.5X284 Norma build but I have a question. Could a guy use a short action? Or would a long action be better? Just asking because I have a SA savage rifle that would serve very well as donor if I could. If someone could give me some clues I would be grateful. (Gentle I'm kind of a noob).

Re: 6.5X284 question

You "can" make it fit in a short action but feeding out of the magazine is nigh on impossible. It can work, but you're really hosing yourself in the performance of that case trying to feed from a short action magazine.

It works much better in a long action mag.

If you are not building on a repeater action then just pick whatever you want, it'll work great then.

For a single-shot, you can make a 6.5-.284 in a SA. You'll just need to pull the bolt if you need to unload a loaded round. For a repeater, a LA is almost a necessity as you really have to seat the bullets DEEP for it to run through the magazine. That's going to cause a few issues:

1. Standard 6.5-284 reamers are designed with long throat for LA. Which means there's going to be a long bullet jump or a custom reamer.

2. Seating the bullets that deep is going to reduce performance to not too much more than a .260AI

So LA is the way to go. Any preferences on actions? Pros, cons? I'm leaning towards a sako action. I know there's not alot of choices but is there a reason one action might be better than the other? Thanks.

If you are going to start from a bare action. Go with a custom one from Stiller, Surgeon, Lawton, Bat Machine, Bighorn, Defiance etc....

there is a lot out there that beats the snot out of production stuff. Some of it isn't much more expensive than a trued factory action.

A short action will work on a single shot as stated above.I guy I shoot with has one built on a model 7 action but it is a single shot.If you are wanting a single shot an XP action would work good.It is already a single shot but they are a little pricey.