• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6.5x47 300 yards load tests

mrbig

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2011
Pleasant Shade ,Tn 37145
I started barrel break in with a easy load of 35 grs Varget and the 140 Hybirds just touching at 2.845 COAL,,my smith did the throat just to fit the 140`s in the AI mags and preserve all powder space possible,, working up and havent seen any pressure yet,,Stiller Tac 30 action and Bartlien 8 twist 28 inch barrel fit to the AICS 1.5 and using 24x Leupold for load tests,,I will be happy with 1 inch 5 shot groups at 300 yards if it will get 2750..

going to chronie test the 35.5 gr load and see how slow it is,,would be nice to run 35.5 grs of powder after shooting a 338 LM for 2 years,,

I haven't seen it mentioned much around here but a little bird said that Varget is shooting good with the Lapua. Keep posting.

Seen load data with 130gr VLD's, up to 38.4gr. They got 2,900 plus with that.
I started barrel break in with a easy load of 35 grs Varget and the 140 Hybirds just touching at 2.845 COAL,,my smith did the throat just to fit the 140`s in the AI mags and preserve all powder space possible,, working up and havent seen any pressure yet,,Stiller Tac 30 action and Bartlien 8 twist 28 inch barrel fit to the AICS 1.5 and using 24x Leupold for load tests,,I will be happy with 1 inch 5 shot groups at 300 yards if it will get 2750..

going to chronie test the 35.5 gr load and see how slow it is,,would be nice to run 35.5 grs of powder after shooting a 338 LM for 2 years,,

it opened up at 36 and 36.5 and started to tighten back down at 37.5 around 1.35 5 shots,,with the long throat I may be able to get up on the next node which I believe will be around 38.5-39 grs,,which sounds hot but the long throat allows seating the 140 Berger HT with none of the bullet down in the case below the neck,,the fat part at least,,maybe 1/16th or so of boattail is below the neck in the boiler room,,

I am seeing no pressure at 37.5,he 450 primers are the same as the 35 gr load,,no heavy bolt lift and brass has no shinny spots,,I really believe the long throat allows a much higher max load,,any opinions or suggestions on what a safe max load would be with the 6.5x47 Lapua case with the 140 Hybird seated to 2.845 running CCI 450 primers and Varget,,

it opened up at 36 and 36.5 and started to tighten back down at 37.5 around 1.35 5 shots,,with the long throat I may be able to get up on the next node which I believe will be around 38.5-39 grs,,which sounds hot but the long throat allows seating the 140 Berger HT with none of the bullet down in the case below the neck,,the fat part at least,,maybe 1/16th or so of boattail is below the neck in the boiler room,,

I am seeing no pressure at 37.5,he 450 primers are the same as the 35 gr load,,no heavy bolt lift and brass has no shinny spots,,I really believe the long throat allows a much higher max load,,any opinions or suggestions on what a safe max load would be with the 6.5x47 Lapua case with the 140 Hybird seated to 2.845 running CCI 450 primers and Varget,,

If you don't mind me asking why not do OCW method then adj seating depth for minor grouping adj?

On another note I ran Varget in my 6.5x47 with the 123's and boy did it work well!

Enjoy!

If you don't mind me asking why not do OCW method then adj seating depth for minor grouping adj?

On another note I ran Varget in my 6.5x47 with the 123's and boy did it work well!

Enjoy!

I can do that,,and will,I was just shooting a few groups blowing ammo finishing up on barrel break in,,and getting some once fired brass,,I wont get really serious untill I shoot through the 100 pieces of virgin Lapua brass,,

Mine tightened up when I adjusted seating. Some reason mine liked jumped rather than jammed. Mine is with 130 VLD's and 37.5 Varget.

After your brass is formed, do a ladder test at 400Y in .1 grain increments, doing so will tell you exactly where the nodes are and at distance. Adjust seating depth and you're done. Tips...pick a calm morning and let the barrel cool between each shot.

When I did this with my 6x47L I got 5 consecutive shots into .9", selected the middle charge, didn't mess with seating depth because it shot so well, then went on to win matches.