• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5X47 Barrel issues

NorthWesterner

Staff Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2017
Sedro Woolley, WA
My match rifle is having some serious issues. When it was a fresh new build, it shot .3's all day. After 1300 rounds now it won't shoot better then 1 moa, most of the time it's 1.2 moa. It's an X Caliber blank fit and chambered by a good smith. Had Benchmark run some bore paste down to get it totally clean. Checked my load and good sd/es still in the node. I haven't changed seating depth after chasing lands 5 thow. I'm at my wits end with this barrel. I have changed everything on thecrifle to insure it wasn't the scope or chassis. Anyone else have a barrel fail 1k rounds early?

I am running 6.5cm and have 1400 ish and after taking with Dave Tooley he said I am not at the end but I can see it. So sound like new barrel time.

Have you checked for a carbon ring ? Have seen that on a few peoples x47's including one of mine with 4350.

Try running a load test going up in .2gn increments, I'll bet you'll find it again within .4-.5gn.

Yeah. Thought has only went like 10 thow. H4350 powder and has been run hard and hot for summer matches.
Just my opion but sounds like you answered your own question. Outside of throat erosion the biggest killer of barrels is heat. Doing matches in 80 90 degree heat snapping 8 - 10 rounds off consecutively is over heating the barrel. If you are doing matches most likely you are running a standard or medium palma weight barrel . Those conditions it will start to go south.

Reactions: NorthWesterner
Buck it up the barrel is gone. I just had the same thing happen approx. 1400 rounds. Didn't bother to rechamber why spend another 350+ for a few rounds. Get another barrel and have the same smith chamber it and go shoot it again and enjoy.

Buck it up the barrel is gone. I just had the same thing happen approx. 1400 rounds. Didn't bother to rechamber why spend another 350+ for a few rounds. Get another barrel and have the same smith chamber it and go shoot it again and enjoy.
Do you honestally think there is no point trying to adjust seating depth. I don't want to just through more money down range to no end, but I don't want to scrap a barrel prematurely either.

Reactions: Hiker12
The node shouldn't just be good es and sd's it should also group well or it isn't "The node"
More than likely the bore paste getting out the carbon ring has changed things from where they we're before.
I'm on Broughton barrel number 3 with well over 3500 rounds on each before rebarreling… and that match shooting 130's at 3k.
I'd personally do another load work up around the same load area your at to double check.

You may want to try chasing the lands. If it doesn't work new barrel.
You sent you barrel to benchmark did they scope it for you?
You really need a bore scope the barrel also. To find out whats wrong.

You may want to try chasing the lands. If it doesn't work new barrel.
You sent you barrel to benchmark did they scope it for you?
You really need a bore scope the barrel also. To find out whats wrong.
Yes we did scope it (I live very close) there is significant erosion but they didn't think nessacerly that it is "shot out" they recomend I shoot it after the cleaning and go from there. My plan is to do a new load work up. If it still doesn't shoot, then I will yank it.

I wouldn't waste to much time with it. About 10-15 rounds will tell you the status of it.
Yes it's frustrating when it happens.
Remember this hot contained explosions in a steel tube in the summer and pushing a piece of copper and lead at approx. 2800 fps somethings gotta give.

Reactions: MGN
I wouldn't waste to much time with it. About 10-15 rounds will tell you the status of it.
Yes it's frustrating when it happens.
Remember this hot contained explosions in a steel tube in the summer and pushing a piece of copper and lead at approx. 2800 fps somethings gotta give.
I agree, I will run a quick ladder test and seating depth to follow. I'm pretty sure it's toast but will run through the last few possibilities. I will let Hal know what happens.

I shoot a 260 with 140 smk and have great results jamming .005". A lot of guys here like the jump factor. But you have nothing to loose hear only to gain. Load up 5 rounds with a jam and test them against the ones with a jump.

Dude, the barrel is gone for precision shooting. Also, why did you pay somebody to clean the barrel and not scope it? It didn't all of a sudden go from .3 to 1.2 overnight. So, much for crystal nodes. You don't want to replace the barrel prematurely but that is exactly what precision shooters do. Your barrel didn't quit early at 1300. It is still good except for precision shooting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, the barrel is gone for precision shooting. Also, why did you pay somebody to clean the barrel and not scope it? It didn't all of a sudden go from .3 to 1.2 overnight. So, much for crystal nodes. You don't want to replace the barrel prematurely but that is exactly what precision shooters do. Your barrel didn't quit early at 1300. It is still good except for precision shooting.
We did scope it before we cleaned it. It had a lot of carbon build up, so much that it needed to be cleaned for ferther inspection. Once cleaned it appeared the barrel should have more life if it but I needed to shoot it to see how well it was shooting. Long story short, in going to spend a little bit more trying to dial it back in, if to no resolve, I will scrap it.

I am just about at 1,700 rounds on my 6.5x47 Bartlein barrel. Still shoots in the .3's and .4's consistently. I have not changed my load since initial load work up. Velocity is still the same and I have not chased the lands. I am using Varget and 130 grain bullets at 2,900 FPS from a 26 inch barrel. It has performed spectacularly at hot matches this summer. Placed top 10 with it at both 2 day PRS matches I went to.

Barrels should not be failing as soon as yours, but it can happen. I'd stop wasting ammo and put a new barrel on it.

I am just about at 1,700 rounds on my 6.5x47 Bartlein barrel. Still shoots in the .3's and .4's consistently. I have not changed my load since initial load work up. Velocity is still the same and I have not chased the lands. I am using Varget and 130 grain bullets at 2,900 FPS from a 26 inch barrel. It has performed spectacularly at hot matches this summer. Placed top 10 with it at both 2 day PRS matches I went to.

Barrels should not be failing as soon as yours, but it can happen. I'd stop wasting ammo and put a new barrel on it.
Just curious, what powder charge are you running to get 2900 with varget?

My first 47 barrel went at 2175...was a laser all the way to the end

second never really impressed me but shot ok until about 1000 rounds and at 1100 it was throwing fliers so bad I pulled it...on my 3rd now and at 525 rounds.

I’ve had 4 bad barrels so yes it does happen...

I had a 30” 6.5 criterion that never shot a group under 1.5” had 4” cut off and still didn’t shoot wasted 1100 rounds on that barrel

I had a Krieger 6.5 that went at 850 I sent it back and 2-3wks later had a new barrel that one was run hard

I had a bartlein go at 975 rounds but that was a 6mm I was running hard

And the latest a 6.5x47 hawk hill that I mention above...second 47 barrel

My smith had a hart 6XC stop shooting at 600 just a month ago set it back and still wouldn’t shoot.

So barrels do go bad and/or even start off bad...this is why I buy and have 2 at a time chambered...I’m rarely without a new barrel ready to spin on.

Holy shit kids... I've never had a .260, 6.5cm, etc.. barrel not continue to shoot great past 2500 rounds. I've lost velocity and called it quits early, but never got one to outright die, especially under 1000-1500.

Holy shit kids... I've never had a .260, 6.5cm, etc.. barrel not continue to shoot great past 2500 rounds. I've lost velocity and called it quits early, but never got one to outright die, especially under 1000-1500.
that is what a lot of folks say. But I have chased this barrel to china and back to no resolve. I'm sure all of these people are telling the truth about having them fail early. If I was ok with 1moa performance, in sure I could keep shooting it. I'm planning on doing one last load work up, and it that doesn't work, I'm pulling it.

How many barrels have you shot out?

I went from a 300wm to a 260...I shot the 260 for 7yrs then went to a 6CM shot out 5 barrels and then moved to the 6.5x47...in total I’m on my 26th barrel counting the bad ones.

I went with the 6.5x47 because of barrel life and the claims of heard...which at this point I find hard to believe but as I said I’m only on #3.

Of all the 260 barrels I shot 1 went 2700 rounds but that barrel would not shoot anything over 2725fps...all of the others went between 1800 and 2200 rounds.

Now personally I keep a very accurate round count on my barrels...I write down EVERY round that is fired and as I’ve said I’ve yet to see any barrel go 3k rounds.

I think a barrels life depends on how it’s used meaning how hot and hard it’s ran...I shoot a lot and shoot a lot of matches and I also look for loads at or near the top of the load range.

The other thing to keep in mind is maybe our thoughts on whats accurate might be different...for me when a barrel will not put 5 rounds inside of a 3/4” dot at 100yds or throws unexplainable fliers it’s done no matter what the round count is.

How many barrels have you shot out?

I went from a 300wm to a 260...I shot the 260 for 7yrs then went to a 6CM shot out 5 barrels and then moved to the 6.5x47...in total I’m on my 26th barrel counting the bad ones.

I went with the 6.5x47 because of barrel life and the claims of heard...which at this point I find hard to believe but as I said I’m only on #3.

Of all the 260 barrels I shot 1 went 2700 rounds but that barrel would not shoot anything over 2725fps...all of the others went between 1800 and 2200 rounds.

Now personally I keep a very accurate round count on my barrels...I write down EVERY round that is fired and as I’ve said I’ve yet to see any barrel go 3k rounds.

I think a barrels life depends on how it’s used meaning how hot and hard it’s ran...I shoot a lot and shoot a lot of matches and I also look for loads at or near the top of the load range.

The other thing to keep in mind is maybe our thoughts on whats accurate might be different...for me when a barrel will not put 5 rounds inside of a 3/4” dot at 100yds or throws unexplainable fliers it’s done no matter what the round count is.
I am the same way with accuracy. I need my rifles to be spot on for match use. I also keep an accurate log of round count. I haven't shot out a lot of barrels, but I'm about to call this one. I have one last ladder test that will be followed by a seating depth test. If it still doesn't shoot, it will be done at 1300 rounds. It's been ran hard and hot. I appreciate the insight from all your expirence, it's good to know I'm not nuts.

I’m not the most experienced guy and damned sure not the best shooter but I do keep very accurate round counts.

I just had this same argument with a guy I shoot with at matches saying he’s getting 3000 rounds through a 6SLR shooting DTACs at 3250 with RL26.

@47guy what kind of barrel life were you getting out of the 6cm?

And what kind of claims did you hear about the x47 that aren’t panning out?

Thanks

I’ve heard(from someone I know)up to 3600 but lots of in the 3k range...I really like the 47 and will be sticking to it regardless of barrel life but I think that will be closer to 2000-2200.

The 6CM I had one barrel go 1700 the other 4 between 1300-1500

2x .260 barrels, 6.5cm barrel, and a 6 competition match barrel. Seen 3-4 6mm comp match barrels go from people I know 1200-1800 rounds. The 6.5's were all 2000-2500+ before I changed them.

Currently have a 6.5 creedmoor (600ish on it) barrel and a 6.5 SAUM (900) still running strong. I load mild, too. 2700fps with the 6.5's and 140-147's is good enough. 3100 with the SAUM but it's a 28" barrel.

at the rate your going with barrels you will run into a bad one someday...1800 in a 6 comp match is a lot of rounds that was one of those very rare barrels...all of your other round counts are about right for the loads your running...im running 123g lapuas at 3025 in my current 47 barrel and ill be happy if i get 2000...the way its shooting the 123s im happy regardless.

The 1800 comp match was probably done at 1500. I talked to the guy at 1800 and it wasn't performing and he ran it all the way to 2200 or so I think before finally giving up on it. He was still drinking the "3500+ rounds" koolaid a few people were pushing.

The only 'bad' barrel I've had so far was an 8 twist .224 Bartlein that wouldn't shoot at 22-250 velocities, but hammered at .223 speeds. Made it an AR-15 barrel and got a new one for the 22-250 and it all worked out.

Well, after re working my load, barrel still shoots like garbage. I am going to treat it as such and toss it. I figured I would let you all know for an additional data point. 1300 rounds and the x caliber is junk.

My 6.5x47 started horizontal stringing at about 600 rounds. I tried a number of things including swapping scopes. I ended up increasing the charge weight and that fixed it convincingly.
I know how frustrating it can be when a rifle won't perform, but sometimes it's the most unlikely thing that fixes it and I was lucky to stumble across it.

My 6.5x47 started horizontal stringing at about 600 rounds. I tried a number of things including swapping scopes. I ended up increasing the charge weight and that fixed it convincingly.
I know how frustrating it can be when a rifle won't perform, but sometimes it's the most unlikely thing that fixes it and I was lucky to stumble across it.
For sure, I have tried everything. The fix will be a new barrel chambered in 6x47. Sometimes you gotta cut your losses.

I shoot alot of 6.5x47 in benchrest matches. I had to set my chamber back at 1200-1300 rounds and it went right back to shooting 1/4 moa or less groups out to 1k. I have alot of experience with this round and as soon as it starts shooting more than 1/2 moa it needs a setback. As stated above this cartridge is a shooter. When developing loads its rare for one to shoot over 3/4 moa.
My pet load:
130 Berger Hybrid AR
3 thou in the lands
28'' bartlein heavy varmint 5r
40.8-41.0 gr H4350
Lapua Full Sized bump shoulder 2 thou

For sure, I have tried everything. The fix will be a new barrel chambered in 6x47. Sometimes you gotta cut your losses.
In the process of building 6.5x47L as stated earlier. Primarily shoot 260 Rem 6.5mm for years. Just testing the barrel out that has 2,050 rounds through it as of yesterday and it still shoots bug holes. If you are going to buy a new barrel take a hard look at Bartlien barrels. I swear by Bartlien barrels might pay a bit more than Krieger but worth it. Look at Grizzly's website they have them in stock.

I shoot alot of 6.5x47 in benchrest matches. I had to set my chamber back at 1200-1300 rounds and it went right back to shooting 1/4 moa or less groups out to 1k. I have alot of experience with this round and as soon as it starts shooting more than 1/2 moa it needs a setback. As stated above this cartridge is a shooter. When developing loads its rare for one to shoot over 3/4 moa.
My pet load:
130 Berger Hybrid AR
3 thou in the lands
28'' bartlein heavy varmint 5r
40.8-41.0 gr H4350
Lapua Full Sized bump shoulder 2 thou

When I get my 6.5x47L built will try out this load. Have had a few conversations on jamming via jumping the bullet. Most guys use a jump for the 6.5mm bullet. I get better performance out of my 260Rem with .005" jam. You are the first that I have seen jam the bullet besides myself. Have done a few benchrest matches in Williamsport Pa. Using the following load works well
140 Berger Hybrid
.005" jam
42.8 gr H4350
Lapua brass neck sized with bushing .289"(only)

In the process of building 6.5x47L as stated earlier. Primarily shoot 260 Rem 6.5mm for years. Just testing the barrel out that has 2,050 rounds through it as of yesterday and it still shoots bug holes. If you are going to buy a new barrel take a hard look at Bartlien barrels. I swear by Bartlien barrels might pay a bit more than Krieger but worth it. Look at Grizzly's website they have them in stock.
Never ran bartline, but I will keep buying Benchmark for the foreseeable future. They have been nothing but quality.

If it shot well and stopped shooting well after 1000rds I would re measure the throat. If the seating depth adjustment does not work I might revisit the load development process shortly. If the barrel does not show promise then I would replace it. You will spend a barrels worth of money trying to get the accuracy back. I have been in the same boat before with new barrels and the accuracy I needed for Palma shooting at the international level was just not there. I give them 200-300rds in the load development process. If more than one powder and more than one Bullet do not result in something promising then I cut my losses and get a new barrel.
Good luck.
-T

The throat erosion can cause accuracy issues but not as bad as fire cracking in the first 1'' or so of the barrel rifling . Setting the chamber back eliminates this. The fire cracking catches copper off the projectile, causes improper rifling engagement and causes the issues stated above. Most gunsmiths will set the rifle back at a lower cost than a re chamber (if they chambered originally). If you set the chamber back every thousand or so you can make the barrel last longer. Most bench guys do this practice. Best practice is to monitor with a bore scope. The fire cracking looks like alligator skin, pretty easy to identify visually with a bore scope.