• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x47 DBM feeding problem

bub308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2007
Mississipii
I have 6.5x47 Lapua on a Surgeon RSR with PTG DBM and a Alpha type 1 magazine. It does not feed consistently from magazine with out issue. I am shooting 130 VLDs. Seems that the rounds are sliding forward in the mag sometimes when rifle is fired not allowing the bolt to push the round into chamber . When it occurs all I do is push round back to rear of magazine and no issue.
I am wondering if I need to switch to AI type mags or what other ideas anyone might have.

Thanks in advance.

Re: 6.5x47 DBM feeding problem

I does not sound right that if you push the round back in the mag it will feed fine. I would think it should feed or not feed regardless of round position in the mag. Maybe look at you bottom metal and ensure its positioning the mag correctly, maybe the mag is sitting to low? feed lips bent? follower working right?

Is the tip of the next round in the mag under the feed ramp before you move it to the rear?

Mag seems fine. Just got done looking at it again yes it does appear that the tip of bullet is catching under feed ramp. Any idea on how to correct that?

You may have to redo the feed lip angle. Alpha mags are notorious for having poorly adjusted feed lips.

If the round is under the feed ramp, it'll have to be modified by either cutting a slot for the tip or cutting the whole feed ramp back to clear.

Thanks for all the help. Is this common with custom actions? All my other custom rifles have been on 700 Actions and no issue.But this is omly my 2nd DBM. Ill also try my friends AI mag when I go back to KY to compare.

Going to a standard AI mag should fix the problem. The only Alpha type 1 I have actually allows about a 2.925 OAL, which is longer than the AI's 2.890 OAL. The action is setup for AI mags so the extra length is letting the bullet get too far forward and catch on the lip.

I had this same problem on my last rifle.

Use regular AI mags because they have a spacer in the front which does not allow the bullet to push that far forward to jam under the feed ramp.

If this does not work. Use your 110v mill (dremel) and relieve about 1/16 or 1/8 right where the bullet tip is getting stuck. Usually right in the center of the feed ramp.

Mine ended up perfect.

I will also find my post about the same issue.

If the nose of the bullet is going under the feed ramp of the action, sounds like the mag is not seated high enough to me. push and hold like mag up into the action and see if you have the same problem. The mag catch may need to be lengthened, Ive never found the need to re cut the feed ramp on any action, let alone a custom one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bub308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the help. Is this common with custom actions? All my other custom rifles have been on 700 Actions and no issue.But this is omly my 2nd DBM. Ill also try my friends AI mag when I go back to KY to compare.</div></div>

I'm currently having the exact same problem with my SA 700 running AICS mags unmodified. COL is 2.810 for my .308 rounds, still getting caught under the feed ramp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bub308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the help. Is this common with custom actions? All my other custom rifles have been on 700 Actions and no issue.But this is omly my 2nd DBM. Ill also try my friends AI mag when I go back to KY to compare.</div></div>

I'm currently having the exact same problem with my SA 700 running AICS mags unmodified. COL is 2.810 for my .308 rounds, still getting caught under the feed ramp.</div></div>

They are probably sliding forward to the front of the mag under recoil. Either way, notching your action is easy and will fix the problem.