• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5x47: Do I need a brake to see bullet impact?

Alan Griffith

Sergeant
Minuteman
My 'smith, Chris Matthews of Long Shot Rifles has my Surgeon 591 action, 1.5 AICS stock, Shilen trigger and my Krieger MTU 26" barrel and NF NXS 5.5-22x50 will arrive this week then it's off to Chris for assembly. While he's got it I'm contemplating having him thread the barrel for both a CAN and a brake. I'll be using a Harris bipod or be shooting off bags.

As I understand it, a CAN should reduce muzzle jump but until I eat quite a bit more Top Raman for lunch to save my nickels, a CAN is a ways off so thought a brake might help seeing bullet impact.

My question is this: Will I be able to self spot a 6.5x47 Lapua round bullet impact/miss, firing 120's to 140's with a Hollywood barrel? Or do I need a CAN/brake to see it with a rifle weighing as much as the components above will allow.

Thanks,

Alan

Re: 6.5x47: Do I need a brake to see bullet impact?

IF you're driving it right you shouldn't have any problem without a brake, but if you see a can in your future, I's go ahead and have it threaded (if you know what can it is in the future and what threads it or its adapter will need).

Brake or not is up to you, but if its threaded, why not?

+1
driven well no issue but it dont kick much more than an AR

Be sure to have chamber cut for bullet combo etc
2.800 OAL with a .010 crush is good for most 130 class bullets

Basically ya want bullet BT junction @ neck junction of brass, pert easy to figure out pendin what bullet you plan shooting primarily

good luck

A brake sure isnt going to hurt in terms of watching your bullet impact...........put one on it!

my 6.5x47 weighed 13.5lbs i could spot my shots without a brake
and it is easier at longer ranges
but you might as well thread it now.