• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x47 Lapua, Berger 130 Seating issues. Need Opinions, and Help

sasquatch98226

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2007
So I am having a weird issue, and I am about to pull my hair out.

Last loading session I loaded up about (300) 6.5x47 Lapua Virgin brass cases.

Berger 130gr AR-Hybrids
42.0 Grains IMR 4451
COAL 2.650
Off the Ogive 2.051
Velocity 2885

Forster Seating Micrometer die.

Went to a PRS class, and shot about 250 of the loaded rounds. Worked great no pressure signs, accurate, etc.

Now I am ready for the PRS season, and need to load the aforementioned now (once fired brass) with the same load after cleaning, prep, and charging with powder.

Now I seat the bullet, and it WILL NOT seat to the original 2.650 COAL / Ogive 2.051 It only seats to COAL of 2.695 / Ogive of 2.096. I thought maybe the die got bumped or changed. So I took it apart, cleaned it, and re-installed it. Measured it and seated a few more rounds with the same results.

Then I wondered if the powder charge was wrong, as it appears to be compressed. So I took some of the previously loaded rounds, measured at the 2.650/2.051, and then pulled the bullets. Weighed the charge and it was also 42.grains. Re-charged the cases, and took the bullets back to the press and seated them (Previous measured 2.650/2.051) Now when seated it goes to 2.695/2.096!!!!!

I can't figure it out. What am I missing, or what do I need to do to get to the old measurements, as those are what worked and I have all my data for before the match next week?

Shake the original loaded bullets; powder moving? Same for new? Shake/tap the cases after powder but before seating to settle any powder. Make sure you’re not confusing bullets (130 vs 140gr). But it sounds like an improperly setup die or wrong shell holder #.