• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 6.5x47 Lapua help

Delta4-3

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
May 21, 2013
Arkansas
I would like some input on my situation please. I am about to start a new precision rifle build and have good barrel blanks in most calibers I'm interested in. I have a 6.5x47 Lapua reamer and gauges, so I had begun to lean that direction, until seeing brass prices for it, and the only blank I have for it is 17". I'm thinking now that I would rather just trade the 6.5 reamer for a .243, .260, or even 7mm-08 reamer or something along those lines. Right now I'm leaning towards 243 or 7mm, because I have brass for both, and lots of it, as well as longer blanks. Any reason I should spend the extra on the 6.5 components and blank, when the longest place I can shoot here is 700yds? Also, I don't compete, if that helps.
Thanks

IMO the cost of lapua brass is not a issue. It is twice the price of other brass but is going to last twice as long. I have some 6.5x47 brass that has 20+ firings on it (with a few annealings)

Good to know, thanks for the input. Do you feel that it is any 'better' than any of the run of the mill calibers of similar size?

I love my 6.5, it shoots in the.2's and was very simple to find a load for.....have 400 pieces of brass with 3 firings on...no issues....

Last edited:
My concern would be the 17" barrel. I don't think you will have the opportunity to see the true potential of this round with a short barrel.

I do recommend the round though. Mine shoots incredible with the 123 scenar and varget.

As stated the brass price in a non issue as it seems to last forever.

As for the 17" blank im running a 16.5" 6.5x47 Lapua (now planning my third 6.5x47, another 16.5") and am getting 2650 with a mild load of H4350 and sierra 123 MatchKings or 123 Hornady A-MAXs. The 16.5" is perfect in my application as 99% of my shooting is inside 800yrds but it is still capable out to 1100yrds.

Thanks again for the input guys! You are swaying me into the 6.5 more and more. The main reason I would go shorter on bbl is because I do my very best to never shoot anything unsuppressed. However, I think a 22" would be a good compromise. I think I will go with the 16" for now, and if I want more length in the future, I'll get another blank and won't have lost any money. The only thing not made in my basement on this build will be the action/bolt. I am making a scaled down XM2010ish setup, but with large portions of the stock being carbon fiber.

As stated the brass price in a non issue as it seems to last forever.

As for the 17" blank im running a 16.5" 6.5x47 Lapua (now planning my third 6.5x47, another 16.5") and am getting 2650 with a mild load of H4350 and sierra 123 MatchKings or 123 Hornady A-MAXs. The 16.5" is perfect in my application as 99% of my shooting is inside 800yrds but it is still capable out to 1100yrds.
I love A-MAX's. I run the 208g out of a 1:8 twist .308, which everyone tells me won't work. They all tend to loose a couple bucks after we shake hands too...

My buddy, Avidflyer, shoots a 6.5 Lapua with a 24 in. barrel in F-Class with me and my .308. He consistently shoots 195 or so and I've got a target spotter I snatched at one of the matches when I was scoring for him in the pits. 16 of the 20 shots at 600 yards were in the spotter (2 or 2.5 in. diameter white cardboard) and one destroyed the spotter pin (about a quarter inch). It's a VERY accurate round.

My buddy, Avidflyer, shoots a 6.5 Lapua with a 24 in. barrel in F-Class with me and my .308. He consistently shoots 195 or so and I've got a target spotter I snatched at one of the matches when I was scoring for him in the pits. 16 of the 20 shots at 600 yards were in the spotter (2 or 2.5 in. diameter white cardboard) and one destroyed the spotter pin (about a quarter inch). It's a VERY accurate round.

I wouldn't say 195....there are some 196..197....and 198's......it really is a great round....I also have never adjusted/played with seating depth....just did an OCW at 100 with my basic .020 off the lands.....using a 123 scenar with a .109 freebore...