• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x47 Lapua vs 6.5x47 USA

demolitionman

Send’r Bud
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2013
Midwest
As the title shows; what is the difference between these two chamberings? Im gonna spin one onto a Savage 10 and saw that these are both offered as profits from Shilen and Criterion. Thanks.

Probably best to call the barrel makers and find out what 6.5x47 USA is. If it's a wildcat, you may wanna pass. 6.5x47L is sorted and 100% supported. Everything is easy to find.

The 6.5x47USA is much easier to spot because it emits a red, white and blue vapor trail!

Honestly never heard of the "USA" variant but if I guessed, there were some early very short throat reamers for VLD loads that were so short even factory ammo would not fit. If that's the case, I would steer clear of that...

Best solution: email or call Shilen and ask.

I vote for the Lapua! One, because I love the cartridge, but mostly I just like saying "Lapua".....it makes me feel all fancy and shit.

I have a 6.5x47 on the way! I bounced back and forth between it and .260 Rem...... I'm hoping to use strictly Varget if it'll get 140's up to 2740fps without too much pressure, although I may end up running 130's to get Varget to perform better? This way I'll save all my h4350 for my 6.5 Creedmoor as its alot tougher to find than Varget.

Demolitionman,

36.5 grains of Varget is giving me 2750 with 140 ELDM'S from a 26" Bartlein. No pressure issues and wickedly accurate.

Not sure about 6.5x47 USA, curious though.

Demolitionman,

36.5 grains of Varget is giving me 2750 with 140 ELDM'S from a 26" Bartlein. No pressure issues and wickedly accurate.

That is great news. I'll have a 28" x47 bbl ordered so my velocities should get where I want with Varget. I want to launch 140 eld's the same with varget as i do in my creed with 4350....to try and work an Accurate load that shoots the same ballastics although they are different cartridges.

Demolitionman,

How long are the pockets lasting?

How long are the pockets lasting?

The current lot I'm shooting has 21 firings. They haven't all been the above mentioned load, mostly 37 grains of RL-15 with a 130 VLD.

I did lose one case after the 19th firing to a split neck.

Last edited:
The current lot I'm shooting has 21 firings. They haven't all been the above mentioned load, mostly 37 grains of RL-15 with a 130 VLD.

I did lose one case after the 19th firing to a split neck.

Annealing? I was trying to recall my load of 4166. I remember starting at 36 but i think i'm at 37 now, and my pockets are getting loose on this second hand brass. They're on 9 firings or so. Though it's second hand from a different chamber that was claimed to only have been shot twice, which very well could be the case. I guess i'll find out for sure with my virgin lot.

Annealing? I was trying to recall my load of 4166. I remember starting at 36 but i think i'm at 37 now, and my pockets are getting loose on this second hand brass. They're on 9 firings or so. Though it's second hand from a different chamber that was claimed to only have been shot twice, which very well could be the case. I guess i'll find out for sure with my virgin lot.

Never been annealed

Interesting. Are we sure they aren't just referring to the 6.5 wildcat on the .222 Magnum case? (Memory is a little fuzzy here)

Interesting. Are we sure they aren't just referring to the 6.5 wildcat on the .222 Magnum case? (Memory is a little fuzzy here)

From the article: The round is a 6.5mm caliber round, based on lengthened 7.62×39 brass, with very little case taper (0.26 degrees, almost half that of 5.56’s 0.5 degrees, and still considerably less than 7.62x51mm’s 0.35 degrees) but a very slender 17.5 degree shoulder.

So it's an American round build on lengthened Russian brass. The irony is compelling....

Bob,

I was referring to the OP's question, about the pre-fits from Criterion and Shilen. I wasn't doubting the article, just the chambering being offered by the barrel makers...

I just called Jim and he set me up with a 6.5x47 Lapua Bull barrel. Took about 7 weeks to get it. Shoots good.