• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6.5X47 or .260 Remington

Re: 6.5X47 or .260 Remington

6.5 Creedmore is better than both, and factory ammo is cheap, at least if you are looking for a true replacement for .308. If it’s for a single shot target rifle then 6.5-284 will beat both. My understanding is that 6.5X47 on paper should be a great target round but hasn’t really won that many matches despite being around a while. If the gun is feeding from a magazine 6.5 Creedmore is the way to go.

I would have a hard time choosing between the 2. But i finally found my favorite 6.5mm cartridge and thats the 6.5Lr which is better than the creedmoore, lapua, and .260 remington IMO. Because it can damn near do what the 6.5-.284 will do but in a short action, where as most 6.5-284s are in long actions, or i haven't seen one in a short action yet. The 6.5Lr is pretty much like a oversized 6.5x47 lapua.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Attributes of the 6.5 Super LR:</span>
- Top powder capacity for top velocity
- Long Neck
- Competition Proven 30 Degree Shoulder Angle
- Excellent Base Brass Available
- Very Easy To Make
- No Neck Turning or Initial Trimming Required
http://www.6mmar.com/65_SuperLR.php
6.5x47 lapua (left) 6.5Lr (right)
65_slr_vs_65_x_47_lap__1.jpg

I will say this much, if someone say Winchester had a round like the 6.5 LR.....I could see NO reason to own any other short action non mag round in 6.5mm........for a handloader who does not mind making brass this gets my vote unless one wants greater bbl life of the 47.

I really believe that Lapua brass will only increase 260 users, and decrease the Creed's launch, but that's just my opinion.

I chose .260 because I wanted to run AICS mags, and they have the same body profile as a .308.

If that isn't a concern there are several cooler 6.5's out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I chose .260 because I wanted to run AICS mags, and they have the same body profile as a .308.

If that isn't a concern there are several cooler 6.5's out there. </div></div>

Aggiesig-
Could you please explain this statement? Does a 6.5x47L inherently have problems in AICS magazines? If so, is there anything that can correct it?
thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is one better than the other? </div></div>

If there is can you shoot the difference..??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is one better than the other? </div></div>

If there is can you shoot the difference..?? </div></div>

Kind of what im thinking, it would probably be better off considering which will be easier to reload, how hard it will be for you to obtain brass, which will have the longer barrel life and things like that. This is kind of like schneider vs hart, there may be a difference, but most people won't be able to tell.

I've had both, now I have the 260 only.

6.5cm- Brass can be a bitch to find so stock up or learn to make your own. Maybe a little better barrel life and needs a longer barrel to meet 260 speeds with out pressure signs.

260 is just plain easier IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I chose .260 because I wanted to run AICS mags, and they have the same body profile as a .308.

Aggiesig-
Could you please explain this statement? Does a 6.5x47L inherently have problems in AICS magazines? If so, is there anything that can correct it?
thanks
</div></div>

I've not had a single problem feeding over 500 6.5x47L rounds out of my 5 and 10 round AICS mags. Feeding is a non issue and the Lapua case is a much better design over the 260. Of the 3 currently avalible, i'd build a creedmoor if doing it again. I'm not dogging the Lapua but why not have the added capacity. The creedmoor is once again a better case design over the 260 case.

I'd say both are great rounds

But with the added case capacity and with Lapua brass about to hit the streets in 260 Remington it would be a pretty easy choice for me

Shootone has a 260 built LA Precision that is a absolute hammer

The reamer that was used works perfect for 140 Berger Vlds and modified AICS mags. Velocitys are off the charts.

Great Round!!! IMO the 260 is the best round you could have in a shortaction for long range with a standard boltface

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gvanhyning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reloaders will always have the upper hand. </div></div>

Cost-wise, yes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I chose .260 because I wanted to run AICS mags, and they have the same body profile as a .308.

Bull.... I had 751 through my rem700 with AICS mags and never any feeding problems + that I now have 443 through my Sako TRG and no feeding problems there either.

But now I thinking of getting a 6XC for my TRG, because we can get very good factory ammunition here at a decent price and I´m sick of realoading.

Other than that I´m sick of realoading I am very pleased with the 6.5x47. The recoil is minimal and if you put a can on it it won´t kick at all
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical_Tom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5 Creedmore is better than both,..... My understanding is that 6.5X47 on paper should be a great target round but hasn&#146;t really won that many matches despite being around a while.</div></div>
How is the CM better? Also, where do you get your "match" data? I would like to see it first hand.

And anyone who claims the x47 doesn't feed well from AICS mags is simply full of it. I have never had a single issue and have run several thousand rounds through 'em.

As for the op and the 260 vs. the Lapua argument. Pick either and it will serve you well. Next time I rebarrel it will be in x47 again, but if I had a ton of .260 components sitting around (including Lapua brass) I would not be scared to go that route.

Here are the significant differences I am aware of between 260REM & 6.5x47L:

1. Small primers vs Large primers. some claim you might get better accuracy from small primers and others have tested and dispute this. One thing is for sure, you'd rather have large primers for reliable ignition in very cold temperatures. Also, I would not choose small primers with standard sized firing pin: you're likely to get cratering and that is pretty well documented.

2. 6.5x47L has a shorter case length. This means less powder capacity, but it also means it's easier to seat match bullets to touch the lands and have a COAL less than 2.80" 260REM is going to exceed mag length with vld-type match bullets. Based on the case capacity, the 260REM is probably a better choice for the heavier 140gr bullets. But the 130gr bullets work great in the 6.5x47 and plenty of matches are being won with that combo.

They're both gonna be accurate and feed well from mags: depends on what's important to you from the above data.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are the significant differences I am aware of between 260REM & 6.5x47L:

1. Small primers vs Large primers. some claim you "might" get more accuracy from small primers and others have tested and dispute this. One thing is for sure, you'd rather have large primers for reliable ignition in very cold temperatures. Also, I would not choose small primers with standard sized firing pin: you're likely to get cratering and that is pretty well documented.
</div></div>

Never had any problems with any of the above with my 6.5x47.
Don´t know how cold it gets in Arizona but the coldest I´ve shoot it in were -27' C and it performed excellent however my S&B 5-25 broke down that day
grin.gif

I haven't found anything I don't like about the 6.5x47L.

My thought is that Lapua did their homework before they invested the time and money to design a new cartridge from scratch. It could have had any dimensions they wanted and they chose what worked the best.

This caliber offers excellent brass, amazing accuracy, and good barrel life. I run AW mags with it and have never had a feeding problem.

Thanks for the responses. The links were also great to read.

I reload, which is why I'm leaning towards the .260 or 6.5X47 over the 6.5CM.

I am trying to decide which conversion to go with for my DTA SRS. After reading all of the above comments and links, I think the best thing to do is to contact DTA and see if one feeds better than the other and if VLD bullets in the .260 will be too long for the mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical_Tom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5 Creedmore is better than both, and factory ammo is cheap, at least if you are looking for a true replacement for .308. If it’s for a single shot target rifle then 6.5-284 will beat both. My understanding is that 6.5X47 on paper should be a great target round but hasn’t really won that many matches despite being around a while. If the gun is feeding from a magazine 6.5 Creedmore is the way to go.
</div></div>

Your understanding is indeed, incorrect.

I have about 4000 rounds through my 6.5x47 and little sexy don't hang up at all. I shoot 142 SMK with 41.5gr of H4350 @ 2875. It hasn't won many matches, because Terry Cross doesn't shoot a 6.5x47
grin.gif

I have spent time playing with Creedmore guns, and I would never own one. I spent a lot of time trying to get the speed out of it people claim they are getting, but never saw it, I was blowing primers with an array of different powders trying to break 2850.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are the significant differences I am aware of between 260REM & 6.5x47L:

1. Small primers vs Large primers. some claim you might get better accuracy from small primers and others have tested and dispute this. One thing is for sure, you'd rather have large primers for reliable ignition in very cold temperatures. Also, I would not choose small primers with standard sized firing pin: you're likely to get cratering and that is pretty well documented.

2. 6.5x47L has a shorter case length. This means less powder capacity, but it also means it's easier to seat match bullets to touch the lands and have a COAL less than 2.80" 260REM is going to exceed mag length with vld-type match bullets. Based on the case capacity, the 260REM is probably a better choice for the heavier 140gr bullets. But the 130gr bullets work great in the 6.5x47 and plenty of matches are being won with that combo.

They're both gonna be accurate and feed well from mags: depends on what's important to you from the above data.</div></div>

I shoot all year around here, and half of my shooting kit in the back of the jeep is a snow shovel and tire chains. If you use wolf primers, you may have a problems. Any other argument for small primer issues are bullshit, and completely speculation, aka, talking out ass. This aint black powder people.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I chose .260 because I wanted to run AICS mags, and they have the same body profile as a .308.

Aggiesig-
thanks
</div></div>

I've not had a single problem feeding over 500 6.5x47L rounds out of my 5 and 10 round AICS mags. Feeding is a non issue and the Lapua case is a much better design over the 260. Of the 3 currently avalible, i'd build a creedmoor if doing it again. I'm not dogging the Lapua but why not have the added capacity. The creedmoor is once again a better case design over the 260 case. </div></div>
it's just a straight wall case design and the AICS mags are designed to feed cases with a .308 taper. It doesn't mean it won't work, I've seen lots of guys run it without issue. I Just didn't want to risk it.

Keeping this inside the OPs original question, I vote for 260. I've had a couple and been pleased with them. Last one was a GAP and who wouldn't be pleased there?
I have also owned and shot 6.5x47L. I have to say that it didn't impress me at all. You WILL have issues with primer flow and piercing unless you have your firing pin hole bushed.
My current 6.5 is a CM. I can find factory ammo that is second to none and can get my reloads to right at 2900 with 142 SMK. It feeds perfectly in AICS/AW mags and my APA/ Badger is a laser.

my 6.5x47 is single shot so I can't say anything personaly on feeding although I know several guys that have no trouble with theirs. What I'm getting at is I have a x47 and a .260. Accuracy wise there is no difference to me. There might be to all the 1/10th MOA here but to my abbilities neither will be a bad choice. If you think one has an upper hand for some reason or another I would like to know about it. The primers are a non issue to me. Good luck with either one you choose.

It used to be a toss up between the three. With Lapua brass coming out for the 260 in April (projected) I think the edge now goes to the 260 Remington. I think the article comparing the 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 260 Remington was spot on.

The 6.5x47 has to use really high pressures to get the performance it does. Once the Lapua brass comes out for the 260, you will be able to load that cartridge's greater powder capacity a wee bit higher because of the much better Lapua brass's strength. That throws the edge to the 260.

The big advantage the 6.5 Creedmoor has is the manufacturer's willingness to publish load data. I don't like the "proprietary" (read monopolistic) brass issue, and Hornady's unwillingness to have SAAMI standardize the cartridge. Sure, they are trying to keep their market share, but I think the selfishness of doing so negates the monetary benefit.

I would have far more respect for Hornady if they thought more about how standardization of the cartridge by SAAMI would help shooters get more access to components than simply thinking about the bottom line. I guess it is simply a business decision that says money matters more than helping the shooting community by making more components accessible.

With Lapua brass for the 260 coming out, the popularity of the 6.5 Creedmoor may soon lost to the 260.

Of course if I already had a creedmoor and 500 cases along with all the other components, I wouldn't change over just because the cartridge otherwise lost popularity.

I would say there are almost 20 shooters in our club rolling 260s now.

2500 rounds of good competition life.

Easy to reload for, not very picky about how you load at all.

Our guns are so consistant we all can swap ammo and shoot under 1/2MOA

I would go 260

more case capacity and you should be able to push the 140's faster

the 7wsm used to me by favorite but the more i shoot my 260 the more i like it

plus more brass options

with work rem shoots great, and now that lapua makes brass that to be makes it an even better choice

both are great rounds but i would lean towards the 260,

call Wroscoe up he has a bunch of great reamers, my 260 from him is probably the most accurate gun i own and i have owned some hammers

I shoot F-TR but often am partnered with an Open fellow. Overall nice enough folk
wink.gif

Between the rounds mentioned I dont see any advantage ballistically, on paper one may look better but this isnt art class.

If I was to attend a match where only the 6.5x47, creedmoor, or 260 were allowed, ANY would be fine by me.

If I was to own one it would be the 260 just because I also shoot the 308 and like the brass. Plenty of brass to be had.

Now I'm not sure about the not winning matches BS concerning the 6.5x47. Well I did see one lose, after the scope went tits up, before that the shooter was beating every open shooter to include 6.5x284 drivers.

The real question isnt the 6.5x47 not winning but does it lose to the creedmoor and 260? Interpreting that data might say more about the caliber of the shooter.

I am big into quality brass, now that Lapua is coming out with 260 brass, that makes the choice an easy one, for me anyways.
I have seen great shooting out of both the 260 and the 6.5x47, but now that lapua is making brass for both, i will be building a 260.
smile.gif
I think that it has enough of an edge over the 6.5x47 to warrent the choice.
smile.gif

Just my Op.
smile.gif

I had my mind set on a 6.5x47, now you got me thinking of changing, barrel life is a concern and after shooting a 6x47 and checking the throat on the barrel I don't want to do this again. The 6.5x47 is a lot better for barrel life so is the .260 even better?

no. go with the 6.5 and don't look back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Ross</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had my mind set on a 6.5x47, now you got me thinking of changing, barrel life is a concern and after shooting a 6x47 and checking the throat on the barrel I don't want to do this again. The 6.5x47 is a lot better for barrel life so is the .260 even better? </div></div>

have to admit .260 is my favorite of the bunch but i wouldnt hesitate on trying a 6.5X47 i have seen nothing but great results from some of the others i shoot with for national match

I'm in the same boat looking to rechamber a gun of mine and really like the 6.5. I know I'm a little late on the post but found it on the search and great info.

mtnhntr...just curious, what velocity are you running @ 40gr and how long is your barrel (asking that made me a little uncomfortable haha)?

I did a ladder test and 41 was a good area but looking at most folks were loading I decided to load up another test (hope to shoot it this weekend if the wind isn't terrible) and see if I couldn't find a higher charge higher velocity. My buddies chrono battery died on us before I could shoot the ladder so I don't know what I was shooting at 41gr. The factory 120's were running just over 3000fps but I plan on shooting the 140's instead.

Thanks.

6.5/243 WSSM
Excellent Barrel life, 100 fps advantage over the 260 and no problems loading them in a SA.

Disadvantages are you have to neck turn, and you have to anneal the brass often to keep it soft.

But it is a screamer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would have a hard time choosing between the 2. But i finally found my favorite 6.5mm cartridge and thats the 6.5Lr which is better than the creedmoore, lapua, and .260 remington IMO. Because it can damn near do what the 6.5-.284 will do but in a short action, where as most 6.5-284s are in long actions, or i haven't seen one in a short action yet. The 6.5Lr is pretty much like a oversized 6.5x47 lapua.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Attributes of the 6.5 Super LR:</span>
- Top powder capacity for top velocity
- Long Neck
- Competition Proven 30 Degree Shoulder Angle
- Excellent Base Brass Available
- Very Easy To Make
- No Neck Turning or Initial Trimming Required
http://www.6mmar.com/65_SuperLR.php
6.5x47 lapua (left) 6.5Lr (right)
65_slr_vs_65_x_47_lap__1.jpg

</div></div>

Coming into this thread I would have gone with the 6.5 Creedmoor, but that just changed my mind.

Also, can we please put up a "which 6.5mm is best" sticky? The answer seems to be in the neighborhood of "throw a dart blindfolded and whatever you end up with will be fine."

thats because they all work good but whats the point of the lr if there's already a 6.5-284. these cartridges are about light recoil and superb accuracy not warp 9 speed and burning a pound of powder with every pull of the trigger. and by the way simply by how the bullets are seated between the .260 and the creedmoor the 260 only has about a 5% more powder capacity. yeah i know you guys ream out the throats on your 260's but then its not factory anymore then either is it. i chose the creedmoor because of ease of reloading and its outstanding accuracy with the factory load which hornady prints on the box for you. cartridges are like cars everybody has different tastes pick one and have fun - i garuntee you wont be dissapointed no matter which one you pick.

Same potential accuracy out of both cartridges. I shoot both. With that being said, I would go with the 260 remington for a few reasons:

1. Larger case capacity

2. If you want to get an AR10 in 260 Rem then you are all set up for it

3. Better magazine feeding for the 260

Small Primer 260 Remington

This can be made from Lapua's 308 Palma brass.

Gee