• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x47 reloading equipment?

Steve_O

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2020
Putting together a 6.5x47 also reloading for the first time so need some help picking the right equipment. What do you guys recommend for dies, expander mandrel, auto powder trickler, calipers ect? I have a Forester Co-Ax bare at the moment, I know Iam probably forgetting some stuff but just getting into reloading for PRS and local matches. Thanks

Well you are starting out good with the Forester Co-Ax ... I just upgraded from a Lee press... it was good but Love how smooth the Forester works. Just remember purchase the forster lock ring only.. I tried other rings and they are lose messing up my measurements.

I guess everyone thought you were just talking about 6.5x47 Lapua and not that you are just starting to reload.

So, what equipment do you have besides the Coax press? Do you know about the different dies, like full length sizing vs neck sizing? Dies with the ability to change to different neck bushings and expander balls. I am just asking to see how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go.

My self, I full length resize on new brass and just neck size on fired brass from my rifle, it helps in the number of times you have to trim the case over its life span. I would also look into getting a case annealer so you can keep neck tension consistent and lengthen the life span of the case as well. For case lube, I use Hornady's one shot for small action cases (308, 6.5x47/Creed) and Redding Imperial case lube for the magnum cartages (300WM/300RUM).

For case trimming, I use a hand trimmer still and the Hornady Bullet Comparator & Inserts for measuring with a set of digital calipers I bought from Amazon. I also use the Hornady O.A.L. Gauge with a modified cases that I bought from Copper Creek Ammo and Hornady.

For dies, you will probably go through a few different manufactures before you find ones you like. For Lapua, I use the base RCBS Full length resizer and neck dies, and for bullet seating, I use their match die.

For powder dispensing, I still use the RCBS manual Uniflow comp powder measure, and in your case, I would go with an electronic dispenser from any of the manufactures like RCBS or Hornady and so on. They all make grate units and you do not need the match despisers starting out (Just like bushing dies, they are not required as well when you are starting out.). I would also get a beam scale to doble check your powder loads and bullet weights. When loading the cases with powder, I use two shell trays, one with the cases to be loaded with powder, that once filled I move to the next tray. Once they are filled, I use a flashlight to look into each case to double check that they are filled and are consistent in powder height.

For priming, I use an RCBS hand primer, but you might want to look at using a bench mounted primer for better consistency. Though I never had an issue with hand priming.

For cleaning, I use an ultrasonic made by Hornady and who's ever shell cleaner is on sale when I need it. I use denatured alcohol to wash the cleaner off and blow dry them with compressed air.

For books, the only one I would recommend, is "Top Grade Ammo". It seems that it is out of print, but you might have a friend that has one. The author touches on the different dies and on different ways of doing things. It's a good primer for a beginner reloader.