• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x47 trim length question

S

Seth8541

Alright, I read up on Tres Mons post on using the chamber length gauge to figure the trim length for my specific chamber. I measured 3 times and neck sized the case each time. I came up with the following measurments;

My question is, how much should I trim the.case back. The Sinclair tool says trim it back a min of .024". Does that sound excessive, or should I just go with that. Tres had said to trim it back just shy of the measurment you got with your gauge. Thanks for the responce.

Seth

Re: 6.5x47 trim length question

Just curious,

Is this new brass? Why are you wanting to trim it if it doesn't need it? You will not gain anything by this uniformity with new brass. I'm NOT trying to tell you what to do at all. However, why not shoot it until it needs to be trimmed and then trim it all to one consistant length?

Ive been shooting this caliber for about 2yrs now and I've never "had" to trim a piece of brass yet.

No need to trim yet. My brass is twice fired and just trying to gain some information for my reloading process. All my brass.measures in the 1.839-1.840 range, so it looks like it'll be awhile before it needs trimming, but when it comes time u would like to knoe my specific chambers trim length.

I have used a couple 'trim to length' variations for other calibers.

For the Swift Imp. it is: measure all the brass and trim to the shortest pieces length. This cartridge does not grow much compared to the 220 Swift. For the Swift it is cut .010" from the max. length of my chamber.

The 222 Rem. does not grow much so it is cut to the shortest piece.

Now, my 6.5x47L does not grow much, either, after 4 firings, 1.837 - 1.839". I will probably trim to the shortest length of brass; when I choose to trim. Tested a lot of different loads in this rifle before settling on my current choice. By trimming I can also compare growth to previous load choices.