• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5x55 and Varget?

Re: 6.5x55 and Varget?

I used 36gr with 120's and 140's, and the same loads should work as a generic for the .260. It was accurate, but it was also a smallish charge for the case capacity.

The me, this could indicate a faster than optimal propellant; but this could also suggest that Varget is tolerant of low charge densities.

I'd prefer H-4350 for the Swede if I still had one.

Thanks guys. I have Varget, RL22 and H1000 in stock, so I will try those and see if one doesn't work just fine.
(I typically like to fill the case as much as possible...)
If none works, I will try H4350, 4831 or a Vihta Vuori. I like the fact that the slower powders show less peak pressure. The Varget accuracy load is only doing about 2500 fps.

40gr. re-22 pushing 140gr bullets (Sie btsp, Nos bthp, Spr fbsp)in my long barrel Karl Gustov 1896 model gets me 1/2" groups.

Dont know about the carbines.

That is with new, sized Norma brass with Fed 210 primers and SAMI OAL.

I am too cheap to shorten a barrel just to get the possible lead somewhere near touching a spire point bullet (chamber was designed for round point, so I would need custom, extra long necks just to get near the lands...), and the work would double the cost of an already 1/2 MOA rifle...

I wouldn't recommend RL22 if you like consistency regardless of temperature. I quit using it when my velocity varied up to 150 fps depending on temperature.

I shoot a 22" 6.5x55 in a Tikka. My favorite load is a 123 A-max seated over 40 grains of Varget. It is a light easy shooting load that makes 2700 fps. I've taken it out to 1000 yards, but it's best under 500. It's ballistically similar to a standard 308 load, with far less recoil.

If I wanted max velocity with 140 class bullets, I would shoot H4831SC or H4350. If you've got a modern action, you can use 260 Rem loads and work up from there. The Swede only holds a few more grains.
-Dan

Just finished a 6.5 Swede rifle. Using 44.0 grains of Power Pro 4000 with a 140 gr Berger VLD. Far better results then RL 22 or 4350. If you can get yourself a lb, give it a try.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm burning IMR 8208 in my 55 with good results. </div></div>Which bullet is that? What charge weight? Thanks, I have 8208 to try as well.

100 grain ballistic tip, 22 inch barrel, Tikka T3. Worked up to around 3200fps. It's a little fast, but it will work with heavier bullets as well. I use 8208 in 308, 6.5x55, and 6x47L.

Be careful with using fast powders and heavier bullets like the 140's. You can run into some serious pressure problems really easily. Still, I would just go with something the speed of 4350, but if you want to run a fast powder work up in small increments.