• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x55 Swede users?

EasyGravy, glad it shoots well. I was happy to see that one roll through the group buy. Probably my favorite cartridge to barrel up. I'm a closet swede whore!

Yeah man Im really lovin it. I think Im going to send another to LongRifles for a 6.5x55 with a less heavy barrel for a huntin rig. They bought my reamer so they have it now.

Easy that is a great looking rig! Mine has been ready for weeks and I finally got up there last Friday to pick it up. I am going to do a pretty good write up on it and post some pics in a few. Congrats! looks like it shoots great too

I plan on doing the same. I get better pictures next time im out other than cell phone. Im very happy as Im sure you will be. Mine with those 123amax and 37.3grains varget really nice groups

When my father passed away I inherited a G33-40 M-98 Mauser action. I tried to sell it give with no luck. So why not build a 6.5 X 55 as I have hunted with the 6.5 X 55 for years in the M-96 converted by Kimber and like it but always wanted a better action and rifle build. At this time my gunsmith has my action and a #4 Heart 22 inch 1:8 twist barrel. He is off on another hunt in Alaska and when returning this April he will soon begin the rifle build. Stocking it is a bit challenging for me at this point as it is a small ring 98 action and only 120, 000 or so were made of the G33-40. I am sure we will figure something out. I intend to use this rifle for my deer hunting which the cartridge excels in and for coyote when other valuable fur predators are out of season, using the Serra 85 gr. HP which is very accurate in my old M-96 action rifle. I find it interesting as the bullet must jump quite a bit to reach the lands. I seat the bullet to the full length of the cartridge case neck so it is secure. I do not crimp. Strange how some reloaders insist on keeping the bullet close to the lands and then a bullet seated with this much of a jump in the old military barrel works out fine. What are your thoughts on that?

Because that particular rifle is rare. To use it as a custom would be desecrating a piece of history. I"LL ask please don't use it if it can be returned to an original condition, if not original. There just aren't that many of these left.

I would go on to day that the Swede 96 is an excellent action. To switch to G33/40 would not be a grand improvement in actions.
The 6.5X55 is also an excellent choice in all around cartridges. Any Mauser action will feed and fire the Swede. You might consider rebarreling what you've got

Sandwarrior I understand what you are saying but this is simply a partially altered action which isn't going to be returned to the original rifle without a whole lot of work and then it will not be original any way. The M96, I have two, is a nice rifle but I really prefer the M98 action with cock on open design, 3 locking lugs and two large gas ports far better than the M96 action. It is also a project my dad a former Marine from WWII had started and I would like to finish his project and be able to leave the rifle to his grandson. When he purchased the G33 40 back in the 1960's it was already just an action no barrel stock etc. to go with it. Ed was never a collector and was always building some rifle out of an action he found. In any event I am looking forward to this rifle and hope to get a few years of use out of it before I have to hang up my guns.

Moses,

Copy that. The situation with the rifle as you describe leaves it best to be finished out as a custom.

​​​​​​​While I now stress historical preservation, I also see that at some point, the firearm is not salvageable that way. In which case you have quite a gem to work a custom on. Good luck with it, I'm sure it will come out well if you take some time and get it done right.

Last edited:
Sandwarrior, I am glad you understand the situation. Say from your "Gunny Sergeant" posting you must be a Marine! Thank you for your service and God bless you.
Bobby

A few years back I called the experts at IMR and discussed powders with the guy there and he told me that after testing all their powders in various cal. that the 6.5 X 55 SW did it's best in velocity and accuracy with IMR 7828 47.5 2600 45000. I have been using this load for some time and it is very good. It fills the case to the base of the neck and is an excellent load.

I used to use H4831SC in my Swede. Switched to RL26 and haven't looked back. A little better velocity. Either is a great choice though.
L

Moses

I'm not having the best of time trying to post here from my phone.

Anyhow the Gunny Sergeant is a kind of posting milestone. I was not in the Marines, I was in the Army. 1st Ranger Battalion to be exact. So, I take no offense at the assumption, I just wanted to be clear about what I was back in the day.

Anyone tried reloder 23 i their 6,5x55? Seems to be a perfect fit when simulating in quickload.

Sandwarrior, Thanks for the verification. Just noticed I am a Private! Army, Marine what ever I sincerely appreciate your service and again; God bless you all.

Anyone tried reloder 23 i their 6,5x55? Seems to be a perfect fit when simulating in quickload.

I tried it on 6.5x55 and 6.5x55AI and was not able to get as good results as RL22. I dropped an insignificant amount of FPS, like 25 when i thought i would pick u some, and the accuracy went from 0.4-0.6MOA to 0.8-0.9.

Couldnt get it to perform in either cartridge.

My Tikka m695 chambered in 6.5x55 Swede
Boyd’s laminate At-One stock in nutmeg
Aftermarket trigger spring with 14oz trigger pull
Atlasworx bolt handle
Steel bolt shroud
20 moa base
Weaver rings
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44
Harris Bi-pod
Free floated and crowned barrel

2nd time out after putting it together..
was shooting factory Winchester 140gr
ammo.... group in photo is a hair under 2” at 200yards. Can’t wait to build some hand loads
for this gun

Attachments

• photo85075.jpg
    photo85075.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 82
  • B31A81B9-E4C1-4A74-9940-2CD59431A443.jpeg
    B31A81B9-E4C1-4A74-9940-2CD59431A443.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 83
  • photo85219.jpg
    photo85219.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Reactions: sandwarrior
Mauser 98
28" Kreiger HVT
Lapua brass
Horn 140gr ELD M
47gr Rel 22, 3.160" oal,

Attachments

• photo85205.jpg
    photo85205.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 72
  • photo85206.jpg
    photo85206.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 72
Great range day today with the 6.5x55AI and trying the new 147gr ELD's. Was happy to find an accuracy node @ 3100fps for 0.285 MOA, other powder level 4 round groups ranged from 0.36-0.88MOA. No pressure signs or heavy bolt on the day. Excited to actually stretch the legs of my new 147gr 0.351 G7 BC load soon.

Attachments

• 147 .286 51gr.jpg
    147 .286 51gr.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 100
  • 20180120_100601.jpg
    20180120_100601.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 117
  • 20180120_100759.jpg
    20180120_100759.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 20180120_124634.jpg
    20180120_124634.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: sandwarrior
I'm about done fire forming for my standard swede, next step is a ladder test. I'm nervous because the last time I attempted this, I had a really tough time and halfway though the range session I rage quit. Turned out my local smith had used an oversize reamer; sent my rifle to Moon and he got it sorted with a match chamber and I've been able to get sub-moa @ 375 yds while fireforming.

PSG, it's encouraging that you seem to be doing load development with just a bipod and rear bag. I need to quit telling myself that I need to buy a lead-sled to be confident in my testing.

Also, I found the Modern Swede thread on archive.org: https://web.archive.org/web/2016082...14-the-modern-6-5x55-swede-users-thread?s=541

I wonder if there is a way to transfer it over here; if need-be, I would certainly contribute to manually changing syntax for all 22 pages of posts to make it work on this platform.

This used to be a really active thread. I wondered where it went.

I need to get back to my x55 but I've been shooting the 6.5x47L lately.

The first few deer I ever killed were with a 6.5x55 that my dad has had since I was a young kid. It is an original Carl Gustov custom with a 22" sporter barrel. I love that rifle.

We need that thread over here. I’m looking at getting a 6.5 AI spun up this year. That was a very good source of info.

PSG, it's encouraging that you seem to be doing load development with just a bipod and rear bag. I need to quit telling myself that I need to buy a lead-sled to be confident in my testing.

Eliminating variables is always important with load development, but a lead sled is certainly not required. I've shot 0.10MOA 5rnd groups with a bipod.
A .25moa group shooting rifle is no good if the shooter is a 1.5MOA shot.

Every round you shoot is an opportunity to get better, as soon as you're out there with a rig you'll never use in actual distance shooting you're only doing reloading and getting zero experience.

I'm in the process of building a rifle right now that will have a swede barrel. Anyone shooting the 147 ELD's out of it? What's your favorite load?

Sako TRG-S in 6.5x55 Swede. A new old rifle for me last year. I have only headshot a deer, but hope to put down some more animals with it shortly.

I love the 6.5 Swede so far. Low recoil, near identical ballistics to my 260 comp rifle (a TRG-22), and very easy to develop a load for.

The TRG-S is the TRG-42 action with an open top, Sako dovetails, a 24" barrel and iron sights. This one is topped with a Zeiss HD5 scope with locking dial turrets. The rifle bare weight is around 7lbs. 14ozs. and with this scope is a little over 9 lbs. It's not a lightweight, but I bought it to be more of a longer range rifle so a little more weight is fine and it carries well.

This rifle shoots the Hornady 140SST and Nosler Partition 140s as hand loads. Velocity is around 2750fps with around 0.5-0.75 MOA. The Hornady's are very accurate being 0.5MOA. The Partitions are accurate as well being sub-MOA.

IMG_4002.JPG

Reactions: CerebralDistortion
I just picked up a tikka Hunter in 6.5x55 and some factory Lapua 123 scenars with published MV of around 3,000 fps. Are the 123 scenars good for deer?

I just had a Mauser action barreled in 6.5x55. Only shot a few times, pleasure to shoot can't wait to see good results. Glad I was not the only one just maybe one of a few that want to shoot older underrated cartridges.

I just picked up a tikka Hunter in 6.5x55 and some factory Lapua 123 scenars with published MV of around 3,000 fps. Are the 123 scenars good for deer?

I shoot Scenars in competition (139s) and they are great bullets. But in this caliber they are probably not good for deer.

The only Scenar I use for deer are the 155s in 308. They are basically half empty so work like a hollow point. The 6.5 scenars are basically a FMJ and will not expand that well most likely.

My 6.5 hunting loads are 140 partitiions and 140 Hornady SSTs. I have not had a chance to use them yet outside of a single headshot late last year. But the consensus of people I trust is that both of them will do the job in that caliber without any drama if you place the shot well. Both bullets are very accurate with a slight edge to the SSTs at longer ranges. Ballistically the SSTs are very close to my 139 Scenars at any hunting range where I'd use them.

Last edited:
I dont have experience with 6.5 Scenars on game but I think if you search for some threads, you'll find coldbore miracle and Pat Sinclair and others have had good success with them.

I haven't been around in quite a long time. It is great to see that this thread is still going! I have 6.5x55AI on a Rem 700 that I built back at the end of 2013 if I remember correctly. It is an amazing rifle and I love the cartridge.... I bought a Desert Tech covert about two years ago and have been considering getting a barrel chambered with the same reamer for it. I love the platform and think it would make a killer set up for critters or steal.

I don't have any experience with the Scenars for hunting either but from the design of the bullet, I don't think it would work well. I killed one doe a couple of years ago with my 6.5x55AI and a 140AMAX... It was exceptionally devastating!

I have dropped quite deer and antelope with the 6.5x55. As far as the scenars are concerned, I kill most of my game with scenars and smk’s. They always die when you let the air out. I am running 123 scenars in my 20” 6.5cm AX right now and plan on dropping a few this Fall with that combo. Also getting ready to get another 6.5x55 barrel for my Blaser. It is fine caliber. Put it where it belongs an they will work just fine.

I dont have experience with 6.5 Scenars on game but I think if you search for some threads, you'll find coldbore miracle and Pat Sinclair and others have had good success with them.

Yeah, Pat has been responsible for my affinity for GAP rifles! He’s mainly used the 139 though; I just bought the Lapua factory 6.5x55 ammo with the 123 Scenar (close out pricing less than $1.20/round at bullets.com) and am considering it for hunting.

I've heard rumors that Berger is coming out with a 155 grain 6.5 bullet, but I can't find anything online that confirms it. If true, is anybody starting to plan a Swede for that? I already bought my next barrel (1:8.5 Mullerworks!) so it will be a while until I can run them.

Yeah, Pat has been responsible for my affinity for GAP rifles! He’s mainly used the 139 though; I just bought the Lapua factory 6.5x55 ammo with the 123 Scenar (close out pricing less than $1.20/round at bullets.com) and am considering it for hunting.

Thanks for the heads up on the Bullets.com ammo. Just grabbed 250 rds of the 139’s for my R8 Blaser. Close enough for me, as I was about to pick up more Brass anyhow.

As far as hunting with the 123 or the 139’s either will do the job on deer, antelope or even elk with proper shot placement out of the creed or the ‘55 at reasonable ranges.

Glad to see this thread back where people can see and post to it.:cool: It's been a long time since I owned a Swede and sure wish other rifles had gone down the road.

Has anyone done a 6.5x55 barrel for the AI AXMC? I was thinking perhaps running the 308 boltface with the 300wm magazine, or single feeding?
I had my eye on getting a 32" + barrel and wondered if any of the prefit makers like bugholes could make one for the AXMC, or possibly hand feed one at a time for the AT/AE/AX versions?.

I have thought about that on my SA AX, but I am leaning towards going with WTO doing a 7mm SAW Proof since I already run the 6.5cm in my AX

Moon at Crescent Customs set back a Swede barrel for me in 2015 and it was great working with him.

I've been trying to get ahold of him for a similar build, but the CC website has been down for over a month, my emails haven't been responded to, and a few calls over the past few weeks during business hours have gone unanswered.

I'm not in a rush. I hope his business has been doing really well and the bottleneck is the receptionist.

EDIT: Heard back from him, all good

Last edited:
Building a 28 Nosler off a bighorn TL3 action, supposed to be finished later this week. Next project is to get a barrel to swap out with it in a lighter caliber to target shoot with and practice with, to not burn out the 28 barrel as its just for hunting.

Since the TL3 has a floating bolt head I came to the conclusion that a 6.5x55 might be the perfect caliber for this. Thinking of getting one of PVA's cut rifled Rock Creeks. Any experience with PVA's barrels?

Building a 28 Nosler off a bighorn TL3 action, supposed to be finished later this week. Next project is to get a barrel to swap out with it in a lighter caliber to target shoot with and practice with, to not burn out the 28 barrel as its just for hunting.

Since the TL3 has a floating bolt head I came to the conclusion that a 6.5x55 might be the perfect caliber for this. Thinking of getting one of PVA's cut rifled Rock Creeks. Any experience with PVA's barrels?
The original design was all about the 6.5x55...:cool:

Love you guys write ups on the 6.5X55 swede. I have had mine since 1983!!!! It's taken quite a few whitetails and ground hogs. It might be the best one gun only cartridge going. Any way mine is an original M96 with the barrel cut to 27" while maintaining its original contour with an 11 degree crown. Shoots nosler 120gr ballistic tip hunting with
50 grs of IMR4831 for and avg velocity of 3050 FPS. 140 SST's 48 grs IMR4831 at 2885 fps. The 120's run .75 MOA and the 140's .6 MOA. For ground hogs sierras 100 gr HP at 3300 FPS with 50 grs of same powder.
Can you tell I'm a swedaholic too!!!LOL
SB
IMG_0925.JPG

Last edited: