• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5x55 swedish?

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
looking for a new load to do all. Looking at what you all think about going to the 6.5x55. I have been shooting .308 and .260. I am always looking for another cartridge. Would use it for hunting, and shooting steel. What kind of velocities are you guys getting? What is preferred barrel length? Mainly looking for Pros and Cons? Thanks Guys..

I had one built on an old ( 1967 ) action with a 30" Pac-Nor match 1 in 8 twist. Its a laser I have been loading the 95 V-Max at aprox 3500 fps -1/2 moa out to 600 yards on steel last week. 140 gr at 2950 fps were 1/4 at 100 yards. I had it built for varmints and playing on steel

Speeds should be 50 fps over 260, unless blown out 'improved' - only holds a couple grains more than a 260 though with long COL latitude w/heavies, it works well with 139-142s. I'd not build shorter than 23-24 myself. You can pick up speed with more, had a few 29.1" mausers that zinged, and had lower blast, not for my style of hunting but if length is not a big issue a 26" might be a good way for free speed. Figure 100fps per 3" based on my experience from 21" and up.