• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.8 or 300 blackout

Re: 6.8 or 300 blackout

Works for me:

pbr2.png

Just looked again the PB ranges line up at 223 yards. On your program the PBzero is called optimum sight in range at 194 so they line up. In your example you used the 223 (220 in your comparison) for yor PB zero you should have used 194 if you are indeed comparing point blank zero. Please correct me if I am wrong or correct the record if need be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Low Sioux</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just looked again the PB ranges line up at 223 yards. On your program the PBzero is called optimum sight in range at 194 so they line up. In your example you used the 223 (220 in your comparison) for yor PB zero you should have used 194 if you are indeed comparing point blank zero. Please correct me if I am wrong or correct the record if need be. </div></div>

I was not making use of the point blank zero as I only wanted to know the max point blank range. When you sight in your actual rifle, you need to set it up so that the bullet crosses the line of sight at that distance.

I used the advanced program where you can set your PB parameters to 2.5. The default in basic is indeed 5 in. Run it again in the advanced use 2.5 and you will need to set the bullet to none and input your BC and bullet weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
sandwarrior said:
No one is saying the .300 BLk isn't an effective short range weapon. But, it will not hold Point Blank Zero out to 300 yds.</div></div>

Neither will 6.8. Here are some examples (+- 2.5 inches):

6.8, Hornady, 110 V-MAX - 244 yards.
6.8, SSA, 110 Pro Hunter - 237 yards.
6.8, SSA, 120 SST - 239 yards.
300 BLK, 110 grain black tip, loaded by Barnes, is 220 yards.

sandwarrior was talking about PB zero you posted point blank range no problem, please just give me the BC and velocity you used for the 110 pro hunter I can run the numbers my self
]

2500 fps and 0.314.

PBZ is very useful as it tells you what range to zero for max PBR, but once you zero the rifle, PBR will tell you how far you can shoot without compensation to hit a target of a specified size.

I don't literally zero the rifle at the range of the PBR but rather see how high or low it translates to at 100 yards and then set the impacts to go there. It is usually about 3 inches high at 100.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do you? I think this is where you get called a liar. You mix and match what makes your project round look better. When someone calls you on it, you call them a liar. Meanwhile, your truthfulness is sliding back and forth behind whichever numbers serve you best, no matter the source. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">I don't follow. I don't remember calling anyone a liar</span>.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sespe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Plus people can get into it for $200 - you can't do that with 6.8. Even if you could, you would not be excited to rebuy your magazine collection - even if you opt to get the lower-cost $12 ones. </div></div>

See? See? You guys should say he is lying again!

used barrel: 100$
1 lb Hodgdon Lil Gun: 20$
Redding die set: 83$
everything else on hand

So it actually cost me $203 to get started with 300 blackout.

And yes, I am on a budget. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">You lie! You claim that dies are $83 for 300 AAC Blackout, but that is misleading because $32 dies are available and you hid that on purpose to make 300 BLK look more expensive. You could have got started for $152.</span>
laugh.gif

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/934234/lee-pacesetter-2-die-set-300-aac-blackout</div></div>

Ring a bell rsilvers?

Said I wouldn't come back, just wanted to post some more info:

SSA 140gr. load (Standard pressure, 2.295" OAL):

tgv5D.png

SSA 85gr. E-tip load (58K pressure)

aSa4N.png

SSA 110gr. Nosler tac load (standard pressure):

XQ604.png

Note the energy at 300 yards for the 110gr. Load is 935 and the 140gr. load is 1130, which is amazing.

Does anyone else here find it somewhat ironic that the 6.8SPC fans here make their argument soley on the merit of one company that makes non-standard ammo that simply can't be used in all firearms chambered for the 6.8 SPC, yet Silvers is accused of basing his arguments on ammunition that suits his needs?

I believe the .300 Blackout is far more versatile than the 6.8 is when you consider the range of .308" bullet offerings available and it's efficiency which allows it to perform well over a broad range of barrel lengths.

Who doesn't own a .308 Winchester or other .30 cal. rifle? I already have a wide selection of .30 cal. bullets on hand from 110 gr.to 220gr. I don't need to invest in a new caliber that will only serve the needs of one specific cartridge.

I don't have to buy expensive hard to find cases in order to shoot the Blackout. Eventhough I absolutely loathe making Blackout cases from .223, at least that's an option for me as opposed to having to rely on buying factory cases.

There's no question that .300 Blackout is less expensive than 6.8SPC. It's laughable that some of you could make the claim that the UMC branded ammo is "artificially low priced". For what purpose? It's a pretty poor business model to go to the effort and expense AAC did to standardize the Whisper concept without making a profit. What is it you're trying to imply? That Remington is taking a loss or making unacceptably low margins to further the advancement of the .300 Blackout?

Seems to me Remington still has their name attached to the 6.8SPC, do they not? Do you think they would intentionally compete with themselves or take money out of their own pockets if they felt both cartridges were equally marketable and had the ability to drive ammunition sales?

I hear 6.8 guys claiming this ammo and that ammo is "weak", the Hornady brand in particular. Is it their fault that the 6.8 has an identity crisis? Put yourself in a manufacturer's shoes for just a moment. You HAVE to make your ammunition to the SAAMI spec. in order to ensure that all 6.8 users CAN actually shoot the ammo. Taking the time, effort, and financial resources to design a niche cartridge (6.8SPC Spec?)for a specialty market that would have a low sales volume, would be unwise.

I don't even own an AR chambered in the Blackout but you'd have to have to have your head in the sand not to realize, or admit, that adopting the Blackout is a no brainer from a logistics point of view.

The ease of conversion and adoption of the Blackout is not limited to AR's either. Consider bolt guns for a moment. In most cases, a .223 based rifles are easily adapted to the Blackout. Can you say that about the 6.8 SPC? No, you can't.

I currently own (2) bolt guns in .300 Blackout and when I decide to adopt the cartridge for use in my AR's, all I have to do is buy a complete upper. It's a simple plug and play proposition. No need to buy non-standard proprietory mags or any other items specific to 6.8 SPC usage.

I'm not against the 6.8SPC. in fact, I'd like to try one at some point. I personally believe there's no reason why I couldn't enjoy shooting them both. It's not an all or nothing proposition from my perspective.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">You lie! You claim that dies are $83 for 300 AAC Blackout, but that is misleading because $32 dies are available and you hid that on purpose to make 300 BLK look more expensive. You could have got started for $152.</span>
laugh.gif

Ring a bell rsilvers? </div></div>

You know I was joking, right? You can tell because I put the smiley face in there. In fact, I was not going to put the smiley face because I figured it was obvious that I was joking, but then I forced myself to do it so that someone could not come back and claim that I was serious or a hypocrite.

To all the 6.8 guys changing to 300 please pm me how much 6.8 brass you have and what you want for it.

While I am at it I also need a 300Blackout upper.

I like them both.

Girls. Girls. You're both pretty...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To all the 6.8 guys changing to 300 please pm me how much 6.8 brass you have and what you want for it.

While I am at it I also need a 300Blackout upper.

I like them both.</div></div>

Yuuuup!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2bad4u2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone else here find it somewhat ironic that the 6.8SPC fans here make their argument soley on the merit of one company that makes non-standard ammo that simply can't be used in all firearms chambered for the 6.8 SPC, yet Silvers is accused of basing his arguments on ammunition that suits his needs?

I believe the .300 Blackout is far more versatile than the 6.8 is when you consider the range of .308" bullet offerings available and it's efficiency which allows it to perform well over a broad range of barrel lengths.

Who doesn't own a .308 Winchester or other .30 cal. rifle? I already have a wide selection of .30 cal. bullets on hand from 110 gr.to 220gr. I don't need to invest in a new caliber that will only serve the needs of one specific cartridge.

I don't have to buy expensive hard to find cases in order to shoot the Blackout. Eventhough I absolutely loathe making Blackout cases from .223, at least that's an option for me as opposed to having to rely on buying factory cases.

There's no question that .300 Blackout is less expensive than 6.8SPC. It's laughable that some of you could make the claim that the UMC branded ammo is "artificially low priced". For what purpose? It's a pretty poor business model to go to the effort and expense AAC did to standardize the Whisper concept without making a profit. What is it you're trying to imply? That Remington is taking a loss or making unacceptably low margins to further the advancement of the .300 Blackout?

Seems to me Remington still has their name attached to the 6.8SPC, do they not? Do you think they would intentionally compete with themselves or take money out of their own pockets if they felt both cartridges were equally marketable and had the ability to drive ammunition sales?

I hear 6.8 guys claiming this ammo and that ammo is "weak", the Hornady brand in particular. Is it their fault that the 6.8 has an identity crisis? Put yourself in a manufacturer's shoes for just a moment. You HAVE to make your ammunition to the SAAMI spec. in order to ensure that all 6.8 users CAN actually shoot the ammo. Taking the time, effort, and financial resources to design a niche cartridge (6.8SPC Spec?)for a specialty market that would have a low sales volume, would be unwise.

I don't even own an AR chambered in the Blackout but you'd have to have to have your head in the sand not to realize, or admit, that adopting the Blackout is a no brainer from a logistics point of view.

The ease of conversion and adoption of the Blackout is not limited to AR's either. Consider bolt guns for a moment. In most cases, a .223 based rifles are easily adapted to the Blackout. Can you say that about the 6.8 SPC? No, you can't.

I currently own (2) bolt guns in .300 Blackout and when I decide to adopt the cartridge for use in my AR's, all I have to do is buy a complete upper. It's a simple plug and play proposition. No need to buy non-standard proprietory mags or any other items specific to 6.8 SPC usage.

I'm not against the 6.8SPC. in fact, I'd like to try one at some point. I personally believe there's no reason why I couldn't enjoy shooting them both. It's not an all or nothing proposition from my perspective. </div></div>
Hornady and SSA produce apx the same velocity, Remington is the one that is weaker and apx 100ps slower. Wilson Combat is the only one loading to a level that causes higher pressure in the old SAAMI chamber with a short throat, kind of like a 223 chamber and shooting 5.56 ammo in it.
SSA's ammo was downloaded from the Combat loads to a TAC load in 2009.

All rsilvers has done for me is helping me sale my aac flash hiders and replacing them with the "non twang" Wilson Combat Accutac. Your hurting AAC not helping them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">You lie! You claim that dies are $83 for 300 AAC Blackout, but that is misleading because $32 dies are available and you hid that on purpose to make 300 BLK look more expensive. You could have got started for $152.</span>
laugh.gif

Holy shit, you took this seriously? I'm the "Liar" and even I laughed when I read his post.

Wow, just wow...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sespe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">You lie! You claim that dies are $83 for 300 AAC Blackout, but that is misleading because $32 dies are available and you hid that on purpose to make 300 BLK look more expensive. You could have got started for $152.</span>
laugh.gif

Holy shit, you took this seriously? I'm the "Liar" and even I laughed when I read his post.

Wow, just wow...</div></div>

You might want to get the proper quotations in there so as to correctly represent he called you a liar, and with the last line added sarcasticly about the $152

Don't represent that I said that.

Did the OP ever come back and say which round he went with( because that was the whole original intent of this thread), or did we scare him off with this endless pissing match about which round is better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: groundhogbuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> All rsilvers has done... </div></div>

The sure sign of running out of valid points is to attack the person rather than explain why their point of view is incorrect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guy #1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sespe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guy #2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">You lie! You claim that dies are $83 for 300 AAC Blackout, but that is misleading because $32 dies are available and you hid that on purpose to make 300 BLK look more expensive. You could have got started for $152.</span>
laugh.gif

Ring a bell Guy#2? </div></div>

Wow, just wow...</div></div>

You might want to get the proper quotations in there so as to correctly represent he called you a liar, and with the last line added sarcasticly about the $152

Don't represent that I said that. </div></div>

OK,Everybody pay attention! One guy said another guy was a liar because that guy (guy #2) posted the quote above in response to me. Guy #2 was sarcastic, Guy #3 (me) totally got the sarcasm. Confused yet?

I will stay away from the quote box:

Guy #1: " I think this is where you get called a liar."
Guy #2: " I don't follow. I don't remember calling anyone a liar."
Guy #1: (posts my quote and sarcastic reply) "Ring a bell, guy #2?"

Me: (totally messing up quotes and pissing off guy #1 more) "Holy shit, you took this seriously? I'm the "Liar" and even I laughed when I read his post. "

But yes, I messed up the quoting. Guy #1 did not call me a liar.

I like the idea of the 300 Blackout. Using the same rifle as 5.56 other than barrel is a plus. Besides, since I will have a 308, the 6.8 is not necessary. That being the case, what would you recommend for twist on the 300 Blackout?

Pretty much everyone is moving to 1/7.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: groundhogbuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> All rsilvers has done for me is helping me sale my aac flash hiders and replacing them with the "non twang" Wilson Combat Accutac. Your hurting AAC not helping them. </div></div>

Over a difference opinion on the internet? Wow, you sure are impressionable! Who did you "sale" the flash hiders to?

Tater just posted on 300blktalk:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Called the company that I buy my formed 300BLK brass from, and I got an eye-opener. The Vet owned company is working 7 days a week, 20 hours at day, pumping out over a 100,000 rounds of formed brass a day, and is three weeks behind. Ya think this round is getting more popular. I told them to let my order stand until they could deliver. Sat down last night and made 100 rounds myself. Time consuming job. I really enjoy this little .30. About as much fun as I've had playing with a gun in years.</div></div>

Sorry it was kinda sarcastic. However the net has pushed thousands to chamber their gun in something that's "the best" I own both Wilson C's 7.62x35 and several 6.8's, they both serve their purpose. If I'm in deep brush and stalking at closer ranges, my WC is in my hands. If I'm walking a field, and fencerows from 2-300, I have one of my 6.8's pref. the RRA 6lb. If I'm on my 500yd clover fields from a blind, my 5R or one of my bolt guns.
BTW my 84yo dad and I have killed hundreds of 600-1000lb cattle with the old 22. I'll take a well placed shot with a 22 hornet any day over a guess shot with anything, regardless how much energy it has.
I just laugh now days when people bring me their AR to time an aac/vortex, and remove the a2. "Because on youtube the a2 has more flash at night" Last guy was a school teacher, who didn't want his enemies to see the flash. I dunno who the enemy is? lol Both are great guns, but given the choice? Gimme a 6.8

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IslandTime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you.

I've noticed some real Nice AAC 300 Blackouts for sale during the research. </div></div>

Don't thank me. Like I said. sarcasm. But I will sale you one (non sarcasm)

BTW Tyler, do you have a 260, 6,5cm, 6.5x 47? The net has impressions on everyone, including me. I'm having a 260/65cm built, is it due to the net? sure partly, but I'd say 80% is because I have a shot out 22-250 that needs a brrl, and both rounds do great at distance, and have been shooting some 260's at a cpl ranges. Thanks to the net I have a 5R that shoots sub 1/2' groups. I'm happy, Thanks internet! (Not sarcasm)