• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.8 SPC ??

Re: 6.8 SPC ??

What do you want to do with it?

If you're just going to blast away at gallon jugs and tin cans, then 5.56 is the better bet.

If you want to hunt with it, 6.8 is a good choice for deer, feral pigs, and other like-sized game out to about 300 yards.

If you want it for home defense, again 5.56 is a better bet because 6.8 tends to overpenetrate (subject to bullet choice) and 5.56 loads like the Hornady 75gr TAP are more than a match for someone inside your house.

6.8 is a good all-around medium caliber that fits into an AR magazine. It is not a long range round, and it is not a cheap to shoot as 5.56. However, it is a fun round and one that has excellent terminal ballistics, good flight characteristics out of SBRs, and a much more satisfying "thump" on steel than 5.56.

So, it really depends on what your uses and expectations are...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vmpgsc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you want to do with it?

o, it really depends on what your uses and expectations are... </div></div>

Light coyote rig for night time calling and pick-up rifle. put a 3x9 scope on it...

so, would 3 to 400 yard be maiximum range with 16" barrel ?

There are a couple guys on here that have many, many animals stacked up using that 6.8 in the hunting section of the board. Dead bodies don't lie!!! hahahaha

I was thinking of getting a 6.8SPC barrel, bolt carrier and mag for my LMT CQB. I can change the barrel and shoot 6.8SPC in a matter of minutes or just shoot the 223. I want the 6.8SPC so I can hunt with it. From what I have heard from the guys at this cite you cna easly hunt deer and other animals with the 6.8SPC round. The ballistic are much better than the 223.

Those coyotes will not stand a chance!! The 6.8SPC with send those guys flying.

It's a fun and effective cartridge on medium sized game. Effective to well past 300 yards, you might take a look at this article; http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1154.

Good analysis, when used in an AR15 platform or the new Mini-14's it is great. In a bolt gun, they are light recoiling and easy to shoot well all day, but I would not use anything longer than a 20" barrel on a bolt gun. The combo your friend has is a good one.

I say its a good deal, with the right bullet combination and if you do your part, it can be effective out to 400-500 yards on game, and is capable of staying supersonic out to 1000 yards out of a 16" barrel, as seen by SSA's 140gr. load for it.

Its dynamite on deer, hunting with my co-workers this fall 2 different people killed a mule deer a piece with it same gun. The gun had a wilson barrel a gemtech quicksand suppressor and a nightforce scope on it.

I know this is an old thread, but this is a dead round now in a lot of peoples opinion. It's the new version of the WSSM wildcats..... completely pointless.

I know thi an old thread, but this is a dead round now in a lot of peoples opinion. It's the new version the WSSM wildcats..... completely pointless.

I would say that its seen its apex,particularly with the increasing commercial support behind the 300blk whose adventvhas largely been after this thread was introduced.

That being said, I really think its an over statemment to call the round dead. There are still a large number of shooters out there enjoying success with the round. As noted here, it can be a compelli g intermediate choice for someone looking to step up slightly from the 223 for certain uses.

hmm, I didn't even notice this was so old, the change in the site software brought up a bunch of old posts to the front page for a while, my bad.

the 6.8 isn't dead, although the 300BLK is quickly gaining popularity, the 6.8 is still #2 on what's more popular on an AR platform. Federal just recently got behind it and is producing ammo for it, Tula was supposed to get behind it as well, but the recent rush made them postpone production to focus on their more popular lines.

I just wish more manufacturers would produce ammunition for spec II chambers

Love shooting hogs with my 6.8 using 100 or 110gr Accubonds. Works great on deer too!

6.8 is a lot of fun. I've killed tons of hogs and a few deer with mine. I've been shooting the Barnes 95ttsx since they came out. Effective range is about 300.