• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 6.8mm SBR Upper and AAC Suppressor?

JSTARSZ

Lefty's Rule
Minuteman
  • Feb 6, 2008
    Wolftown
    I have actually done a lot of research on the topic but there does not seem to be any definitive discussions that I have seen. And what I mean as definitive is here are the tests that we have done or I used it on a hunt and here are my results.

What I am looking to do is get a 10.5" Noveske 6.8mm upper for my NFA lower and add an AAC 6.8mm M4/2000 suppressor. I have read that the 10.5 is enough to get full expansion but the 7.5 is a little too short to get the full expansion of the bullet -not sure on that.

Is there anyone out there that has this set-up or a similar one and have you found it to work well as a combination?

Have you hunted with the SBR and what were your results?

How does the suppressor work with the short barrel?

I guess what I am getting at is this worth the money for a 6.8mm set-up as I already have two 16" 6.8mm that I presently use. But, I do crave the SBR set-up. I plan on using this set-up for my deer hunting rig. I have checked Virginia's hunting rules and I can't find anything that says that a barrel has to be more than 16" and a suppressor is legal from what I see as it is not in the regulations at all.

Re: 6.8mm SBR Upper and AAC Suppressor?

The M4-2000 in 6.8 caliber is a good choice for your application. On the SBR you should be getting dB results right at the hearing safe (140) level and it should be comfortable to shoot without ear protection. Just keep in mind exposure time contributes to hearing loss.

Can't help you with the hunting questions though. Sorry.

Mark, have you shot a 10.5" SBR with a suppressor? The reason I ask is I am looking for real world experience with the set-up. The set-up is going to cost $2300-2500 after ATF fees or so, so I want to make sure this is a wise expenditure of funds.

i have the m4 2000 on a 8.5 6.8 and it makes a HUGE differecne!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have the m4 2000 on a 8.5 6.8 and it makes a HUGE differecne!</div></div>
    what upper do you have or did you build it yourself? what kind of distance are you getting out of the 8.5". Most of the places I hunt typically only have a a 200 yard shot at the best. So I am looking at how short can I go and still have ample expansion of the round...I hunt with a 95 GR barnes TTSX or a 110 Nosler Accubond.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark, have you shot a 10.5" SBR with a suppressor? The reason I ask is I am looking for real world experience with the set-up. The set-up is going to cost $2300-2500 after ATF fees or so, so I want to make sure this is a wise expenditure of funds. </div></div>

Yes, I have shot a 6.8 caliber SBR (8", 10.5" and 12" barrels) with an M4-2000 suppressor. I haven't shot thousands of rounds through the setups like I have 5.56 caliber guns, but at least a few hundred. Heck, we once put a friend's 6.8 SBR upper on one of my full-auto lowers and did a few (very expensive) mag dumps.

The 6.8 caliber is something I never bought into so I don't personally own one.

it will shoot sub moa at 100 yards easy! the upper was built by Wes at MSTN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BookHound</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"></div></div>
    Heck, we once put a friend's 6.8 SBR upper on one of my full-auto lowers and did a few (very expensive) mag dumps.

</div></div>
    At a $1.00 per round that is some extremely expensive mag dumps. And, that is why I use it for hunting as I can get away with being stingy with the round. I have hunted with the 6.8mm and have killed four deer with it thus far. I hunt in areas where a long range shot is below 200 and more likely 100 yards.

I just like the idea of being able to practice with the 5.56 but hunt with the 6.8mm. It gives me a lot of time with the platform and the only thing that changes is the upper.

thanks gents for taking the time to answer. I will have to take a look at the MSTN.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    At a $1.00 per round that is some extremely expensive mag dumps. </div></div>

OPA (Other People's Ammo). When friend's say, "Hey, can we shoot my upper on your registered lower? I'm got a case of ammo. Here, you get the first two mags." you just smile and hand over your M16 lower. :)

JSTARZ, I think I can answer your questions.

First, I have fired many thousands of rounds through 6.8 SBR's as short at 7.5 inches, all suppressed. I used a JET .30 cal titanium for a while, then I bought a Warthog from them which is only 6" long and attaches via a muzzle brake mount. I also shot one of my rifles with the M4 2K in 6.8 and it sounded exactly the same as the JET. It does make a huge difference, and I would say that 135dB or so is the result.

The 12" 6.8 SPC is a near perfect compromise of size and velocity retained. I just shot hundreds of rounds of developmental loads using the 95 TTSX this weekend, and I got some pretty goods results, including some groups of 1/2 MOA. Here's a target, bullet is 95 TTSX:

DSCF1017.jpg

The 10.5 will kill a deer or hog ( I have killed thousands in the last 6 years on Wild River Ranch) reliably out to about 200 yards, maybe to 250, but past that is pushing it for bbls as short as 10.5. I recommend the 85 grain TSX or the 95 TTSX, since it will open as low as 1700 FPS...the 85 opens around 1900 and because the 6.8 case is so efficient, you can get them going around 2600 from the 10.5" barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HTR707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JSTARZ, I think I can answer your questions.

First, I have fired many thousands of rounds through 6.8 SBR's as short at 7.5 inches, all suppressed. I used a JET .30 cal titanium for a while, then I bought a Warthog from them which is only 6" long and attaches via a muzzle brake mount. I also shot one of my rifles with the M4 2K in 6.8 and it sounded exactly the same as the JET. It does make a huge difference, and I would say that 135dB or so is the result.

The 12" 6.8 SPC is a near perfect compromise of size and velocity retained. I just shot hundreds of rounds of developmental loads using the 95 TTSX this weekend, and I got some pretty goods results, including some groups of 1/2 MOA. Here's a target, bullet is 95 TTSX:

[img:center]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s233/dkred5854/DSCF1017.jpg?t=1278466782[/img]

The 10.5 will kill a deer or hog ( I have killed thousands in the last 6 years on Wild River Ranch) reliably out to about 200 yards, maybe to 250, but past that is pushing it for bbls as short as 10.5. I recommend the 85 grain TSX or the 95 TTSX, since it will open as low as 1700 FPS...the 85 opens around 1900 and because the 6.8 case is so efficient, you can get them going around 2600 from the 10.5" barrel. </div></div>

AGREED!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HTR707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The 10.5 will kill a deer or hog ( I have killed thousands in the last 6 years on Wild River Ranch) reliably out to about 200 yards, maybe to 250, but past that is pushing it for bbls as short as 10.5. </div></div>

You have killed thousands of deer & hog in six years just with your 10.5" 6.8 setup? Wow. I must admit I am jealous. I sure wish I had an opportunity to hunt that much. There are 2190 days (not counting leap years) in six years so you are killing something nearly everyday. Am I reading that correctly? Again, I am jealous.

BTW, nice group in the pic. :)

Take care,

This is a great thread as I am considering a 6.8 upper for my sbr lower. I just havent decided on the barrel length yet.....but soon.

I have a 6.8 SPC SBR upper and run my M4-2000 on it.

It sounds damned good. Better than a 7,62 can on a6,8 upper for sure.

Thanks for all the information gents. I am always jealous when HTR707 talks about all his hunting exploits. I am leaning more and more at a Noveske 10.5 - 6.8mm upper. I think it is going to be an awesome rifle. I also got 100 Barnes 95 Gr TTSX and next month I am beginning the testing. My last set of tests on my 16" 6.8mm was with 110 TTSX and I was loading 29 grains of RL 10 and was getting 2650 fps. I am thinking of starting with those numbers for the 95 GR and should get up to 2800 or so with it.

Mark,

Actually, to clarify: I have shot thousands of pigs but only hundreds of deer over those years.

For everyone else....here are some pics of the guns:

This 12" cardinal Armory 1 in 11, 4 groove has killed at least 1200 hogs in the last four years, by itself. You have to remember that one some trips, we kill 15 a night.

I believe that 12" is the ultimate compromise length. JSTARZ, be sure to look into Noveske's 12 "Rogue Lightweight." I am sure it will weight no more than a 10.5. I talked to Todd last week, and they are building these with swtchblock for suppressed use, and they should be quite light.

DSCF2038.jpg

HTR707, I shall give them a look. I have seen the Rogue on their site so I will have to do some more research. I am hoping to get the set-up before hunting season so I can hunt deer this year with it. I may have to use a 308 suppressor this year but I hope to get a 6.8mm by next year's season.

What velocities are you getting out of the 95's and what loads are you using? I am loading RL 10 at the moment.

I tested this extensively last season.

I was running 10.5" noveske barrels with the latest specs and pushing 85gr tsx's and 90gr tnt's. RL-7 for powder was giving me good results.

I like the handiness of it. Tried a bunch of cans and settled on Gemtech's Sandstorm. Handiness doesn't mean anything if the rifle weighs 8-9lbs all up. Sound was excellent. Not going to give out our numbers, but it was really good.

In the end, I've abandoned the 6.8spc. Going to list all the rest of what we have on the appropriate forum later today. The mag choices and performance sucks. I had to buy 7 for ever 3-4 reliable ones I needed. As has been mentioned, 6.8spc specific projectile choices are limited and expensive comparatively speaking.

If I was still interested I'd grab a Noveske rogue hunter 12.5" lightweight and build around it. Throw a lightweight suppressor on the end and run it.

This year I'm running a .300 whisper Noveske 10.5" with a 9mm suppressor. Cheaper projectiles and brass. Similar numbers, and better suppression.

I hunted Bill Wilson's ranch in late April and shot a few hogs. The last hog I shot was on his setup, a Wilson Custom 11" 6.8 w/ Jet Warthog and NV scope (Nightoptics D-740). That hog was just as dead, just as quick as all the other ones I shot with my 18" WOA barrel. The hog was 125lbs, and the quartering shot was through the neck and out the ribs.

I sold my 6.8 because it was too expensive to shoot as much as I did (I don't reload-no time or patience). However, I will eventually buy another 6.8 and when I do it will be the 12" Noveske HTR referred to, and I will put either a Warthog or AAC M4 2000 on it (whichever can be had cheaper at the time). I hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lwrkeysfisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I sold my 6.8 because it was too expensive to shoot as much as I did (I don't reload-no time or patience). However, I will eventually buy another 6.8 and when I do it will be the 12" Noveske HTR referred to, and I will put either a Warthog or AAC M4 2000 on it (whichever can be had cheaper at the time). I hope this helps.</div></div>
    that is the very reason that I started to reload the 6.8mm. I have been testing loads and have come up around the 28.5 grain of RE10X. I went up to 29.5 but the groups started to open up so I came back down. I have more testing to do before the deer season hits. I figure I will use August for my testing period.

Yeah, 6.8 is definitely a reloaders game, I just can't bring myself to start another project... I was running the Tac-load SSA 85gr Barnes right at 3K FPS out of my 18" WOA-Shilen bbl. It would print nice little groups for me at 100yds.

Have you been over to the 68Forum or spoken to Harrison at AR Performance, between those two sources you could get a lifetime worth of 6.8 load data?

From what I've seen the 85 & 110gr TSX's are the most accurate of the hunting bullets. I have not been impressed with the 95gr TTSX's accuracy, but the terminal performance especially out of SBR's is impressive. I guess everything is a trade-off at some level.

I have spoken to Harrison quite a few times as he built my upper. He also gave me good starting point for reloading. I just got some new 95 TTSX's and I am going to work up some loads. I have hunted with 110 Accubonds and they did well against deer.

well, I ordered the 10.5 Noveske upper yesterday so I can't wait to test it. I will have to wait awhile for the suppressor as I just spent too much money and you can only get away with so much. I do have a deployment coming up in 2011 so I think I can finish the project within 2011.