• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6 BR Compared to the 6.5X47 Lapua.

Scotts556

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2009
Texas
Spent the past couple of days looking over some rounds and Have decided to drop the ppc bolt head. I have been looking alot in the 6.5X47 Lapua and the 6 BR. Most of what I ave found dont make much sence to me. Lots of numbers. In layman's terms how do they compare? Application will be paper, steel, and varmints out to 700 Yards or so and no matches. I see that is is not uncommon to neck the 6.5X47 Lapua to 6mm. But All I have read is a little over my head interms of the write ups. And couldnt find much better here or on AR15.com. So can ya guys break em down in laymans terms? I reload and have no problem putting extra work to load up ammo. Rifle will be Built off of a single shot Savage target action most likely. But I may use a savage repeater. Stock will be a XLR chassis.

Thanks

Scott

If you go with a single shot choose the 6BR and if you go with a repeater choose the 6.5x47. They are both great rounds, but you will likely have feeding problems with the BR if you try to make it a repeater.

Scott, I have both, without going into a real lengthy discussion, it's just case size or horsepower. The 6mm br is an amazing cartridge to say the least, but so is the 6.5x47.
6br- 95gr vld's at 2900fps
6.5x47- 130gr Norma's at 2900 fps

6.5 bullets have a higher bc than 6mm, so they buck the wind better, fly better. Price goes up 10 bucks a box though also.

Not to be a butthole, but you just need to decide what application you're gonna use it for, here in WY, 700 steel in the wind, 6.5x47, no brainer, shooting prairie dogs to 300, 6mm br hands down, doesn't warm up as fast.
You can horse the piss out of either one and manipulate the numbers, I just gave a simple comparison.

Here is a great site, join the forum!
AccurateShooter.com

105gr Hybrids @ 2850fps (26" barrel) with around 30 grains of powder and reasonably priced Lapua brass is a benefit of 6BR. Better ballistics than a 308 out to 700 and beyond.

I've been told Quickload estimates 2750fps with 105s from a 22" barrel.

As a repeater, 6BR takes a bit of finagling to get to work.

But performance won't touch a x47L...though that performance has a cost in more expensive bullets, brass, and more powder burn.

Middle ground would be something like a 6x47L or 6 Creedmoor. Cheaper 6mm bullets with near the performance (ballistically) of a 6.5x47L. The 6BR will have better barrel life and use less powder, though. Some say it's more "inherently accurate", but I doubt you'll be able to see a difference outside of a dedicated benchrest rifle.

Middle ground would be something like a 6x47L or 6 Creedmoor. Cheaper 6mm bullets with near the performance (ballistically) of a 6.5x47L. The 6BR will have better barrel life and use less powder, though. Some say it's more "inherently accurate", but I doubt you'll be able to see a difference outside of a dedicated benchrest rifle.
Just what are the ballistics of a 6.5X 47 Lap?

If you're not shooting matches and shooting competitively for Benchrest or F-Class, neither cartridge does anything you can't do with a .260 Rem, 6.5 Creed, or .243. Actually, I'd argue they are WORSE cartridges in anything other than Benchrest or F.

Pretty much. The 6.5s can shoot the 142gr SMK with a BC of around .301 G7. Compare this to the .280 G7 of the 6mm 115gr DTAC or .275 (?) G7 of the 105gr Hybrid. I believe the 6mm's can be launched a little bit faster than the 6.5s comparing Creedmoor to Creedmoor or Lapua to Lapua, etc. All in all, neither shows a huge ballistic advantage over the other.

Pretty much. The 6.5s can shoot the 142gr SMK with a BC of around .301 G7. Compare this to the .280 G7 of the 6mm 115gr DTAC or .275 (?) G7 of the 105gr Hybrid. I believe the 6mm's can be launched a little bit faster than the 6.5s comparing Creedmoor to Creedmoor or Lapua to Lapua, etc. All in all, neither shows a huge ballistic advantage over the other.

Im getting 3144 AVG from 105s(G1 of .530) out of my 6 Creed(28")41.9grs H4350, tops for a 6.5 x 47 or Creed is what...... 2780ish?

Im getting 3144 AVG from 105s(G1 of .530) out of my 6 Creed(28")41.9grs H4350, tops for a 6.5 x 47 or Creed is what...... 2780ish?
To say I'm tired of hearing about your 6 Creedmoor would be an understatement. To make it comparable we can talk about a 6.5x47 with a 28'' barrel. You could do 130 JLK's at 2950 FPS or 140 JLK's or Hybrids (both great bullets) at 2850 FPS.

Drop and wind at 1000 yards and 3000 DA 15 MPH wind:
6 Creedmoor: 6.9 mils and 3.0 mils
6.5x47 130 JLK: 7.6 mils and 2.9 mils
6.5x47 140 JLK:7.8 mils and 2.7 mils

So, even with you pushing that 6 as hard as it will go, you only have an advantage in elevation and lose in wind where it actually matters. Barrel life of the 6.5x47 will be close to 2X as many rounds as the 6 Creedmoor.

To say I'm tired of hearing about your 6 Creedmoor would be an understatement. To make it comparable we can talk about a 6.5x47 with a 28'' barrel. You could do 130 JLK's at 2950 FPS or 140 JLK's or Hybrids (both great bullets) at 2850 FPS.

Drop and wind at 1000 yards and 3000 DA 15 MPH wind:
6 Creedmoor: 6.9 mils and 3.0 mils
6.5x47 130 JLK: 7.6 mils and 2.9 mils
6.5x47 140 JLK:7.8 mils and 2.7 mils

So, even with you pushing that 6 as hard as it will go, you only have an advantage in elevation and lose in wind where it actually matters. Barrel life of the 6.5x47 will be close to 2X as many rounds as the 6 Creedmoor.

WTF do you want me to do, call it something else? Oklahoma heat getting to ya? Phuckin' Grumpy old men :)

WTF do you want me to do, call it something else? Oklahoma heat getting to ya? Phuckin' Grumpy old men :)
Maybe not talk about it EVERY SINGLE POST you make on here. Also, you were trying to call out Temp9 out as being wrong when he stated the ballistics were similar, and he was correct in that statement. I proved he was right and you were wrong. Nothing getting to me down here, just trying to cut through all the BS for anyone reading this thread.

For what you want to do a 6BR is the smarest choice between the two choices. That being said I would go 6mm Dasher and shoot 105 Berger Hybrids.
It will be the most accurate cartirdge you will ever shoot.

I love a 6.5X47 and plan on a 6X47 as soon a my blanks show up. That being said you described the perfect senario for the Br or Dasher.

Maybe not talk about it EVERY SINGLE POST you make on here. Also, you were trying to call out Temp9 out as being wrong when he stated the ballistics were similar, and he was correct in that statement. I proved he was right and you were wrong. Nothing getting to me down here, just trying to cut through all the BS for anyone reading this thread.

Wait the fuck one minute, I never called anyone out, just asked what the ballistics were on a 6.5x47 Lap, I had an idea that they were just a bit less than the 6.5 Creed but wanted to hear from someone that knows more about it. Then I asked if 2780ish fps was about right for the 6.5s, thats for a 140grain pill, btw. I wasnt disputing anyone. Maybe a chill pill is in order here?:)

I love the 6.5....... I shoot a 140 vld and cant say enough about it. I have wacked coyotes, deer, elk and steel out to 1400 yards and cant say enough about this thing. I shoot a 6.5x284 and not the 47L tho... I dont think you will go wrong with either, but there is just a soft spot in my heart for the 6.5.....

I don't shoot either, but I get my fanny whipped by both quite regularly shooting "F"-ish class at 250. In each case, a large part of the difference (from me) is the shooters.

I shoot .30BR with a faster twist and heavier bullets than recommended, using a relatively shorter barrel made from a discarded/overrun blank. This horse may yet learn to sing...

A friend once said if Lapua makes it ill shoot it. Best brass on the market and it lasts twice as long as any other. I love my 6.5x47 you can't go wrong with it. Run the 140 hybrids with RL17 and you will see what small groups look like.

Wait the fuck one minute, I never called anyone out, just asked what the ballistics were on a 6.5x47 Lap, I had an idea that they were just a bit less than the 6.5 Creed but wanted to hear from someone that knows more about it. Then I asked if 2780ish fps was about right for the 6.5s, thats for a 140grain pill, btw. I wasnt disputing anyone. Maybe a chill pill is in order here?:)

Say wat you want about your intent, but after reading post after post about your "6 Creed", it was easy to tell what you were trying to pull. This thread wasn't even about a 6 Creedmoor until you had to start trying to prove it was superior.... like you always do. You've already misinformed people for months that you are getting 3300 FPS out of that thing, but it looks like you've finally figured out that was wrong so maybe you are starting to figure things out somewhat.

And don't think I have a vendetta against your beloved 6 Creedmoor, hell I have a reamer and just chambered a barrel of a personal rifle on it. I just get tired of you trying to make it sound like it's the end all be all of cartridges, because it's not.

6.5x47 actual dope used reverse calc fps
140vld 2973fps 30" barrel

123 3023fps 20" barrel

X47, XC, CM slice n dice how ya want pert much same thing

Say wat you want about your intent, but after reading post after post about your "6 Creed", it was easy to tell what you were trying to pull. This thread wasn't even about a 6 Creedmoor until you had to start trying to prove it was superior.... like you always do. You've already misinformed people for months that you are getting 3300 FPS out of that thing, but it looks like you've finally figured out that was wrong so maybe you are starting to figure things out somewhat.

And don't think I have a vendetta against your beloved 6 Creedmoor, hell I have a reamer and just chambered a barrel of a personal rifle on it. I just get tired of you trying to make it sound like it's the end all be all of cartridges, because it's not.

You have no idea what my intent was, you're not that good.
If you had been stalking me a little closer you'd know I now have a chronograph and admitted that RE17 doesnt have as much speed over other powders as I had thought, got an avg of 3183 this past weekend with 41.5grs RE17 in fact. I never said I was positive about the speeds I was getting, I just thought from the trajectories I was getting 3300plus.
You're one of those people that take everything the wrong way, must be a southern thing. I look on the positive side when I read a thread about someone's problems or questions.

As accurate as the X47 is, I always found it to be slightly underpowered vs. the 260 and 6.5 Creed.

I do like the case design of the X47 and case life is the best of the three in my limited experience.

I know "F-all" about the 6 Creed.