• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6-Creedmoor, bushing size.

BrentMac

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2018
I’m new to 6 Creedmoor and have some Lapua small primer brass and Redding fl bushing die coming. What bushing sizes should I get coming to end up with.0015”-.002” neck tension. Thanks in advance! And merry Christmas!

The best way to go about this is to measure a loaded round and subtract the amount of neck tension you want to run.

It sounds like you dont have a loaded round, so you can calculate it if you measure the neck thickness.

Take Neck Thickness x 2, add diamter of your bullet, and subtract .0015.

That’s just it. I don’t have any brass yet to get some measurements. I bet someone here is using the same brass though. I don’t mind getting a couple bushings, I just want to get them on the same order with the brass and dies. Thanks in advance.

I'm just getting started with a 6mm Creedmoor. I bought some Lapua bras and seated a Berger bullet and measured the outside neck diameter. I ended up getting a 0.271" bushing. I haven't resized any necks yet so I haven't proven my choice out.

If you have a tubing mic, what was the wall thickness. I might get about 3 bushings.

I don't have a mic but if I take the outside diameter, subtract the bullet diameter, and divide by 2, I get 0.1475".

I reload 6mm CM and with a tubing mic my Lapua brass neck thickness measured 0.0135" and my Hornady brass neck thickness measured 0.014".

For 0.002" neck tension I bought both 0.268" and 0.269" bushings.

But I also use a Sinclair mandrel after sizing to get consistent neck tension. I have found enough variation of the neck wall thickness which I believe leads to a slight inconsistency in neck tension if the cases are only sized with a bushing which is only reducing the outer diameter. This does vary even with Lapua brass unless the necks are turned.

Reactions: 1fliride
Thank you guys for the help. I really appreciate it! My Defiance action 6 Creedmoor will be up and running soon!