• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6 creedmoor fire forming - powder question

Gregor.Samsa

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 4, 2019
    NorCal
    Hello, I would like to fire form some new peterson cases as well as stabilize the new barrel using some Hornady 58g v-max bullets I have on hand. I'd also like to preserve my good powders for the actual intended loads. I have some H322, AA2200 and IMR 4955 on hand that don't really fit into my current loading regimen. I realize these are faster and slower than the prescribed powders I'm finding for this combo. Would I still be able to use these to do lower pressure loads for fire forming? any suggestions?

thanks

Personally I would not do fire forming in 6 Creedmoor, the barrel life is short enough and the new brass shouldn’t be that far off from your chamber. You will need to make small adjustments once you have all of your brass fired once and you have a couple hundred rounds through the barrel, but personally I would not waste the time/barrel wear with shooting something just to fire form.

Agreed. Fire forming is just as good as formed brass. It’s just a tiny bit different. Wasting barrel life with a 58gr bullet and bad powders is a much worse use of barrel life.