• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 6 Dasher barrel

shoot 51

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2019
Oregon
So my Dasher is grouping 1 moa after 1500 rounds and the throat has grown over .1 and looks like a 4wd road. The barrel is 28”. I have my own reamer and I’m considering cutting it back 2”. Any thoughts on set back vs shelling out 5 times that for a new barrel? My shot out barrel would shoot 2.5” at 600 at one time so it has a good backbone.

Unless you are doing the work yourself, it’s not worth it to me. Typically a setback barrel will only give you a half life of the original barrel and cost about as much as a chamber job on a new barrel. If doing all the work yourself, it costs you nothing and probably worth your time.

Reactions: shoot 51
Unless you are doing the work yourself, it’s not worth it to me. Typically a setback barrel will only give you a half life of the original barrel and cost about as much as a chamber job on a new barrel. If doing all the work yourself, it costs you nothing and probably worth your time.
I should have mentioned that it is a Savage. I can have the barrel cut and reamed for $100. Everything else I can do

Reactions: Sig Marine
For $100, I’d probably give it a go. Don’t forget to take an inch or so off the muzzle as well.

Noob question, but why would you take an inch off at the muzzle?

Just asking because I've been wondering what I'll do when my .22BR barrel starts to wear.

It’s my understanding that the throat, and first few inches of a barrel, takes the majority of the wear from heat/pressure while the muzzle wears from the friction of the bullet passing over it at maximum pressure. A gunsmith may have a more definitive answer but this is what I’ve been told.

Noob question, but why would you take an inch off at the muzzle?

Just asking because I've been wondering what I'll do when my .22BR barrel starts to wear.
One thing to know is that your barrel wears with every shot including the first. Measure your distance to your lands and then every couple hundred rounds and you’ll be surprised. The muzzle wears from cleaning.

It’s my understanding that the throat, and first few inches of a barrel, takes the majority of the wear from heat/pressure while the muzzle wears from the friction of the bullet passing over it at maximum pressure. A gunsmith may have a more definitive answer but this is what I’ve been told.
I don't think the last inch of the muzzle wears any differently than the last 20 inches. At most, all you need to do is re-crown the barrel - either in the lathe or using a hand tool.

I don't think the last inch of the muzzle wears any differently than the last 20 inches. At most, all you need to do is re-crown the barrel - either in the lathe or using a hand tool.
After talking to the gunsmith he said he wold measure the last bit of the barrel and decide if it would be necessary

So my Dasher is grouping 1 moa after 1500 rounds and the throat has grown over .1 and looks like a 4wd road. The barrel is 28”. I have my own reamer and I’m considering cutting it back 2”. Any thoughts on set back vs shelling out 5 times that for a new barrel? My shot out barrel would shoot 2.5” at 600 at one time so it has a good backbone.
its toast. Order a new barrel and don't look back.

I ordered a barrel and next week I’m goin to set my old barrel back. It takes three months to get a new barrel. In the meantime I can shoot out the set back barrel. That should give me points with @Killswitch Engage

I had a 29" Krieger in 6 Dasher put on a M70 back in 2004. I kept a log of rounds fired, and noticed a drop-off in accuracy around 1200rds. Since I had another Dasher I was using in the same BR Varmint Silhouette matches that I'd been shooting with the M70, I sat it aside for a year or so before finally pulling the Krieger Dasher bbl, parting off the threads, threading it again, and running my 6x47 Lapua reamer in. Overall, that resulted in cutting the new throat about 2" deeper than where it'd been originally. I borescoped the new chamber & throat, and saw that the 6x47 reamer hadn't cut a fully profiled leade in the lands - erosion had gone farther than I expected. Tried shooting with it a bit, but was pretty disappointed with accuracy at 600yds. If my experience was typical, I doubt I'd go to the trouble of setting a bbl with over 1000rds back again. I finally got around to pulling the set-back Krieger and replaced it with a fresh 1-7.5tw Krieger in 6x47 - and this one shoots as good as I'd expected/hoped for.

My last dasher barrel I had a case head separation at 1000 rounds, my fault, running 33.9 varget in 100 degree heat. Case was stuck in chamber and had to set it back.

Thing lasted for 1800 more rounds and shot straight bugholes. It's worth a shot I think for 100 bucks

My last dasher barrel I had a case head separation at 1000 rounds, my fault, running 33.9 varget in 100 degree heat. Case was stuck in chamber and had to set it back.

Thing lasted for 1800 more rounds and shot straight bugholes. It's worth a shot I think for 100 bucks
As things would have it, the barrel is a light target contour and I need about 1” cut off to remove the bottom
Where are you getting your barrel and which one and what contour.
Hunt around they can be found.
im getting my barrel from Krieger. It’s going to be finished 26” with a heavy target contour. I’ll be using my reamer .130 free bore
Where are you getting your barrel and which one and what contour.
Hunt around they can be found.

Should of checked Brunos and Southern Precision rifles they might of had then in stock.
It will be here in about 60 days if they aren’t fibbing about lead times. Plenty of other guns to play with in the meantime