• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 6 vs 6.5 for whitetail?

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
Hello,

If you will share your opinion based on experience I would appreciate it.

Whitetails only- 243 vs 260 or 6.5 creed only.

99% of shots inside of 200. The possibility does exist for shots up to 600, but I doubt I would take one that far. 400 yards I would take all day any day.

Have you killed animals with both? What's your take?

Thanks

The 95 gr 243 bullet has plenty of energy at 200 yards for whitetail. At 400 yards, there is really no comparison between a 243 and a 6.5 creed. The 95gr 243 will have around 1000 ft lbs compared to 140gr 6.5 creed around 1500 ft pounds of remaining energy.

I have no experience hunting with a 243 but quite a bit with a 6.5 creed on white tail and mullies out to 400 yards. The cartridge is more than capable with good shot placement at the ranges you mention. In fact, my wife has one shot kill on a elk at 350 and I would not hesitate on elk at 400 yards with the 6.5 creed or 260.

Absolutely nothing wrong with either one... would be a hard choice for me to pick one over the over for that specific application... if I already had both I'd pick whichever one shot the best... if I was buying one for that specified purpose I'd probably grab the 6.5

I have a 243win hunting rifle and have a 6.5x47 I can carry but don't have the distance to justify carrying the weight. If I knew I was going to have an opportunity at more than 200 yards I would go 6.5. The 6.5 isn't gonna "over-kill" them inside 100. Dead is dead.

I am a firm believer in anchoring an animal if I can. Tracking though thick pine and 4' briar patches with a flashlight is not my idea of fun. For me, finding a bullet that dumps 100% of the energy, or very close to it if you want an exit hole, is the key. Find a bullet weight and velocity that gives the bullet the best chance to perform as intended.

I drop mule deer and antelope with a 260 and 139 scenars. In the mountains under 100 or on the prairie out to 700, it gets the job done. This year I will be using some Prime 130's, Im very happy with the results on steel so far. Recoil is nothin' on a 260.

For that scenario, either one should work fine. Since I have 6.5's Im rather fond of them, and they work even at farther distances, I watched an antelope drop over the weekend from a 140 eldm at 452yds. It was beautiful.

A .30-30 would meet the requirements you state, all the calibers you mention are far better than a .30-30.

Reactions: maverickasu
I shot a 200 pound white tail buck broadside at 200 yards with my 243 (Hornady Superformance 95gr SST from a 24" stainless barrel) and it made a golfball sized exit hole. I love my 6.5 Creedmoor and it doesn't recoil much but the .243 is flatter shooting, has unnoticeable recoil and makes a nasty exit wound. YMMV but the .243 is perfect for white tail.

Reactions: Fullquiver
For me, it's a pure toss up; whichever floats my boat when I decide to go out. Although I hunt Mule deer and not Whitetail, I can say that the 6mm has killed far more of the deer I've taken than any other diameter bullet including either of my 6.5s. Does that make it better? Hell no, but I'm comfortable with it, been using it for 20 yrs and it has yet to fail me.

At the end of the day, if you're comfortable with it, rock it. Whether it's a .243, 6.5 Creed or a 30-30. YMMV

t

When you are ready, I would suggest considering a 6 creed for your 6mm rifle. I just built a hunter in a Manners EH1 and Proof Carbon barrel shooting Copper Creek 105 vld Bergers. Accuracy is .25 and I just love this rifle. I took my first animal with it a few weeks ago. A NM antelope at 330 yards and he dropped face first in the dirt. I plan to pack it to Wyoming in a couple of weeks.

When you are ready, I would suggest considering a 6 creed for your 6mm rifle. I just built a hunter in a Manners EH1 and Proof Carbon barrel shooting Copper Creek 105 vld Bergers. Accuracy is .25 and I just love this rifle. I took my first animal with it a few weeks ago. A NM antelope at 330 yards and he dropped face first in the dirt. I plan to pack it to Wyoming in a couple of weeks.

Truth be told a 6mm would handle 99% of my hunting shots, but I'm still up in the air. What action and glass did you choose?

Right now my daughter hunts with a 300 blackout, but I thought about getting her a 6 creed or 243. I was leaning 243 b/c I already have dies and an abundance of brass.

So it's worth it to start over with the 6 creed even though I am set for 243?

Thank you for your input, and thanks to everyone else as well.

Both my 6 creed hunting rifle and tactical rifles are built on BAT actions. All my rifles are outfitted with a NF scope of some sort. Right now I'm focused on hunting so i have moved my 5~25x56 ATACR TreMor3 from tactical rifle to the hunting 6 creed. If I was hunting in a mountain type environment, I'd run my 4~16x42 ATACR

You 243 is a very capable whitetail rifle within 200 yards, but think you would like the 6 creed because it sounds like you want to take that 400 yard shot if presented to you. At 500 yards you got 1200ft pounds of energy with a 6 creed sending a 105 at 3000ft/sec. Now a 6.5 creed sending the 143gr bullet at about 2725 will have around 1400ft pounds of energy at 500 yards. Pretty close but the 6 creed has a 2 min elevation advantage at 500 yards. Very little recoil with either cartridge so I think your daughter would like either one.

All very good deer calibers. Have used 95-105 .243 and 123,140 6.5 Creed a lot on deer and antelope. Between myself and my kids we've killed probably 30 with those calibers the last 10 years and 20 more with a .223 Kills with the Creed and .243 to 300ish and kills with the 6.5 creed at 500+ Put the bullet where it goes, use the right bullet and they are whitetail magic.

Last edited:
For that scenario, either one should work fine. Since I have 6.5's Im rather fond of them, and they work even at farther distances, I watched an antelope drop over the weekend from a 140 eldm at 452yds. It was beautiful.

Did you get good expansion with the ELDM? What caliber was it shot out of? I had some bad luck with one out of my 260 at about 80 yards last year.

I've only killed one deer with a 223, and I used a 55 grain Barnes TSX. Shoulder shot and she was DRT. Granted it was about a 35 to 40 yard shot though.

What did you all shoot with the 223 ggmanning?

Used both 60gr Nosler Partitions and 55gr Barnes solid copper hollow points.....DPX's if I remember correctly. I think they have put a polymer tip on them now and call them TSX. Same bullet I expect. Both Nosler and Barnes work well but the Barnes is devastating if you shoot them in the shoulder and make sure you have bone impact. It also shoot more accurately than the Partition in my experience. I limit the .223 inside of 200 and most kills are 30-100yds and we have never had one go far at all. Generally DRT. They do not do reliably well with lung shots but again, impact shoulder bone and deer die very quickly with those bullets.

Last edited:
Did you get good expansion with the ELDM? What caliber was it shot out of? I had some bad luck with one out of my 260 at about 80 yards last year.

260 AI at 452 yards
2h58zv6.jpg

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
260 AI at 452 yards
2h58zv6.jpg

Good shooting. I don't doubt the ELDM's are devastating on thin skin game. Two seasons ago I hunted antelope with 140AMAX out of a 6.5 creed with incredible results. All were one shot kills between 420-610 yards.

Good shooting. I don't doubt the ELDM's are devastating on thin skin game. Two seasons ago I hunted antelope with 140AMAX out of a 6.5 creed with incredible results. All were one shot kills between 420-610 yards.

I had the eldm pencil through the neck of a buck at 80 yards. Yours definately expanded. I think I will stick to the Amax that I have and the 143 EDLX.

260284, You will be good on thin skinned game. Right now I have my wife shooting the 143ELDX, because she will be hunting a cow elk in November. If we were only deer hunting with that rifle this year, we probably be using the 140AMAX ammunition.

Anyone taken deer or similar game with Barnes TSX and Berger Hunting VLD? Is one better than the other?

I have never tried the Barnes bullets but have heard very good things about them. The Berger Hunting VLD's are very effective on thin skinned game like deer and antelope.

just took a couple does at 550yd with 6.5x47 and 140eld. both were drt and never took a step. I wouldn't be afraid if either 6 or 6.5 inside 500yd but 6.5 gets the energy win.

Reactions: 5RWill
Anyone taken deer or similar game with Barnes TSX and Berger Hunting VLD? Is one better than the other?

Yes, both. One better than the other.... Yes lol They really are completely different animals. IMHO, where one shines the other does not. The Barnes is a solid, with a marginal BC; the Berger is a Cup & Core with a great BC. For me, inside 400 the Barnes gets the nod every time. Outside that, I'll take the Berger every time. The Barnes needs more velocity to expand than the Berger does. When velocity is high, the Barnes is a great bullet. When velocity drops, they tend to pencil more than I like. The TTSX added a little more margin to the issue but they are still a much harder bullet than the Berger. That being said, it's quite common for most hunters to use a light for caliber Barnes just as most Berger shooters use a heavy for caliber.

They both have very strong points to them, just completely different realms of intended operation. Again, IMHO.

t

Just shoot the deer with what ever you sight the gun in with. 140 eld m look at the pics above a Barnes will not do that . Do you hand load and are going 6 or 6.5?

I have used a 243 for decades doing managed land culling, and at 300 yards or less it was/ is great. however with the 6.5 creedmoor you have a lot more flexibility and no more felt recoil than a 6mm/243 . The 6.5 offers an abundance of great factory ammo, so while you are getting your reloading componets together you can still shoot some great ammo and not break the bank. The 6mm creedmoor is a great round but the 6.5 wins again in the flexibility department.I will be going out this weekend to do some doe control and both my 243 and 6.5 will be along for the trip, 300 and less 243 over 300 6.5. We have about 90 doe to remove this year, and I am sure as in previous years both choices will work just fine.good luck in your decision my vote would be 6.5 who knows you may want to go hunting for something bigger than whitetail and that's where the 6.5 would be more flexible.

Any three will work well. I use 223 and the only downside is no pass through for blood trailing.

260 with 130 VLD Hunting:

7f860fd63ead35559456879b5005906e.jpg

e516bb25d25b4b2f4bc3a40b705fe813.jpeg

6.5 GAP 4S with 130 VLD Hunting:

6784a0b123d4a85893ccf0f9444b35cb.jpg

140b5230d448b79e0909642224443cb9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BCX
I agree about light and fast copper. Used the 80 gr Barnes TTSX to kill many mulies with a .243 inside 350 yrs with no issues. It does need to be >1800 fps terminal velocity. I'm going to test out Cutting Edge 77 gr MTH in the Missouri breaks in a few weeks. Their velocity is significantly higher than the TTSX (~150 fps) with the same load and accuracy is excellent.

Last edited:
Im a 6.5 creed fan on game, last year with the 143 eldx my son and I took four does. Two where a shade over 600 and two a shade over 700. All high shoulder shots and three drt and one made it about 20 yards. This year on youth day he took an eight point at 539, shot back a tad but it expired within 50 yrds. Its an amazing little round!

Out to 200 yds, it's a toss-up. At 400, although the 6mm will work, the 6.5 is just more ju-ju. I've shot deer with both. Assuming equal accuracy, inside 200 yds, why use more than 6mm. If I know I might need a longer shot, I'll take the 6.5. Just for transparency my 6mm is a 6mm Remington, and my 6.5 is a 6.5x55, but those are really almost a direct overlay to what you are thinking about. Just shot a 6.5 CM Savage 10 GRS this AM, and I'd take that over either of mine, and 600 yds. would not be a concern, for a steady animal with known distance and insignificant wind.

I dropped a good buck last year at 592 yds with my 6 Dasher. DRT. Shot placement, but 6.5 at that range would have been more sane...

6mm on up works. I'm even putting together a 6X45 bolt gun to try for closer ranges. I've used my 243AI out to 500 yards with good results. My .358 wildcat puts them down with more authority but they all get the job done.

260 Rem. 540 yards. 100gr NBT launched @ 3500fps.

3500 fps? :D

A former 6BR, using 105 Amax at 2850 mv dumped one at 400 LRF, struggled to get 20 yds.......

That said, I am a 6.5 fan, do love 6's, but.........

That is flat Smokin! I had a 7/08, and IIRC, it did around 3300 w/100s using Varget

I've hunted with a .243 for going on 15 years. I love it and I'll keep that rifle around forever. It's a pussycat and I can't wait for my son to start hunting with it.

That said.... my next hunting rifle is going to be in a 6.5. There's no replacement for displacement and the extra 40-50 gr. of weight means a lot to me, especially for a "do it all" hunting rifle for shots from 0-500 yards against everything in Texas.

Both will do good killing, but I think all things being equal, I'd pick a 6.5.

What's your take?
Makes no difference. Either one will kill a deer just fine.

You do realize that there is .021" difference in bullet diameter between the two? You do realize that the difference in mass between a 140 grain bullet and a 100 grain bullet is .09 ounces?

shot a big doe at 503 yards with a 140rdf going 2850. Doe DRT.

What kind of expansion did you see with the RDF? That is my match bullet, but I am using the 143 ELDx for deer. Dropped two does at 225 saturday morning. 1-1/2" - 2-1/2" exits and complete mush in the chest cavities.

If you allready have the dies and components for 243 win I would just stick with it unless you just have an itch for 65 Creedmoor.
The 243 win is a great caliber for thin skinned game with proper bullet selection, fast and flat shooting within the range you specified.
My oldest son killed a Blackbuck antelope with the Corbon 85tsx load, it hit the little guy so hard it knocked it off its feet and landed on its side and never got back up.

What kind of expansion did you see with the RDF? That is my match bullet, but I am using the 143 ELDx for deer. Dropped two does at 225 saturday morning. 1-1/2" - 2-1/2" exits and complete mush in the chest cavities.
Pretty much the entire front half of the deer was mush. I definitely couldn't save the front shoulders.