• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 6 vs 6.5 for whitetail?

Pretty much the entire front half of the deer was mush. I definitely couldn't save the front shoulders.

I have been wondering the same considering the RDF is a pointed design I questioned whether they would reliably open.
I know the 155scenar and the 130 Norma golden target are to heavily constructed and just poke holes, the RDF must have a pretty thin jacket.
Sounds like it would make a good coyote bullet or head and neck shot only on deer and hogs.

223 55 grain at 80 yards my kids can shoot QNS when you hit them in the heart they die
44988D77-0461-48D7-B165-90F0CA7242C1.jpeg

Reactions: BCX
223 55 grain right in the ticker
BDCD2273-32C1-42B4-88AB-189E03B155AE.jpeg

Point in a I’ve seen deer run off shot with a 300 wheatherby it’s not about the rifle it’s about the shot I intend to use my 6 Creedmoor and 6xc this year for all kinds of critters
96905395-D4CC-4985-BAE1-C8C3B6BFC506.jpeg
I need to get a truck though the mustang ain’t doing it

For the past three years I’ve been using my 6.5 Creedmoor with 140 Hornady match bthp. So far I’ve been blown away with how well they’ve done. I’ve shot deer from 50 to 475 yards and they all dropped in their tracks. Prior to this I did use a 243 some and it did very well also but all of my shots with it were within 200 yards.

I have been a 300 Weatherby man most of my life, but as I get older recoil just sucks. I killed the biggest deer of my life last year with a .243 Rem 700 in a Magpul Hunter stock. 24" barrel and 95 grain Hornady SST bullet. Deer staggered 35 yards and dropped like a rock. Devastating wound. These bullets these days are just awesome and you really cant be under-gunned if you do your part.

Reactions: BCX
Either one will work. I use my 243 for deer a lot. Picked up a 260 that I will be using this year. If you had to pick one I would go with a 6.5 caliber so that when you get an opportunity to hunt further distances or larger game you wont be looking for another rifle. But then again having to buy another rifle doesn't sound so bad. Regardless let us know what you pick and happy hunting.

Hunting season is upon us, so bringing up the old thread.

Last year my daughter and I took 7 animals with a 6.5 grendel. No problem for Georgia deer, hogs, and coyotes.

I've got a 6.5 creed that I am putting together for my primary hunting rifle, and a backup to the Howa mini Grendel.

She just turned 13, so we always sit together, and we only take one rifle.

There are hundreds of combinations of rifles and cartridges that make great medium game (deer) rifles for my part of the country, but IMO the Howa mini with the 20" semi heavy barrel chambered in 6.5 grendel is about perfect as one can get.

The only other rifle that rivals it is the Remington model 7, but they come with too short and thin barrels IMO - I have had 2 in 7/08 over the years, and a 140 grain bullet out of that little rifle kicks like a mule.

Back to the topic - 6 vs 6.5 - which both will kill.

Using a 130 grain bullet if you look at the numbers inside 400 yards the 6 with a 100 or 105 and up beats the 6.5 - with the velocities that are realistic for a 22" barrel at my elevation.

I found that suprising.

My wife has taken two mule deer over the last 3 years using 6.5 with factory hornady 143 ELD-X. One was at 385 yds and this years was at 590 yds. Both went under 30 yds with well placed shots right behind the shoulder.

Iown both and have taken several deer & hogs with both calibers. Inside 300 yds is a coin toss as both have proven equally lethal. The 6.5 really separates itself from about 350 and on. I enjoy shooting a suppressed 6.5 with the 140 gr ELD at distance (300-400) and have had many hogs die where they stood near the feeder. I will be quick to acknowledge shot placement is everything and I prefer base of the neck, forward of front shoulder or head shots for meat harvesting. The wound channel of the 6.5 is incredible causing a clean ethical, but most importantly quick dispatch of the animal. We harvest dozens of hogs a year, our decision on shot placement all but eliminates damaging the shoulders and allows for immediate blood letting.

Good winds, and good hunting

Reactions: rookie7
Have both 243 and 6.5 Creedmoor for average whitetail hunting either will get it done. 6.5 has an advantage going bigger game but if going to hunt predators any I'd go 243. My first year using eld-x but seems reviews are mixed on it expanding well. My rifle loves them when it comes to paper. Guess I'll make my own conclusions, hopefully.

Reactions: rookie7