• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6 yr old shoots 1350 yards

M

milo 2.0

Hi,
Sunday a young friend, his 6 year old son and I went out to our long range spot.
Our goal for the day was to have the little guy shoot one of my 6.5x47's out to 200 or 300 yards. He'd been asking to shoot my green stocked one for awile, thought we'd let him try.
He has only shot his Win 9422 out to 60 yards, with surprising efficiency.
So he is plinking away at his portable steel target system at 50 yards, while I'm checking dopes on the gun. I stop at 500 yards, said what the heck, let him try this shot. We set him up, I'm spotting, watch his first shot whack the 10" steel plate, WOW. Had him shoot 2 more, we went down range for pics.

The little dude wasn't even impressed with it, I think he thought that was what was suppossed to happen, I don't know. He wanted to get back to his 22lr.

I shot my other 6.5x47 out to 750 yards, decided to let him try there. He had a 1" group going till his 3rd shot, went 9" higher than the other two, had him shoot one more, was high and left. All in all still a good day, he shot 7 for 7 at 500 yards and beyond.
We were shooting from a bench, the prone pic was just hamming it up, I don't think he could have even reached the trigger from prone.

Please no comments about being in the wrong section, I will keep adding to this thread, he will be hiiting at 1000 before next spring.
Oh, and both guns were built by Chad Dixon, at Longrifles, they both shoot like crazy!

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0168.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

Re: 6 yr old shoots 3" group @ 500 yards

When your that young mans age 500 yards is ELR shooting. Congratulations to him and to you. I like to see the torch being passed on to our young Americans.

A poor shooter can make the best gun in the world a pos...can't wait so see his 1000yd hits

Gives me a lil more motivation to start shooting better lol

Awsome !
It reminds me of me and my dad at the range !

That's awesome to get a kid like that behind your rifles! Awesome shooting by the kid too!!

Miles thanks for the plug.

Junior is certainly showing potential. Looks to me like he needs a big boy gun.
smile.gif

Nice job. Junior shooting development is the key to keeping this stuff around.

Awesome shooting! This little guy obviously has some skill and is lucky to have someone like you and his father take the time to teach him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Nice job. Junior shooting development is the key to keeping this stuff around.

</div></div>

Thanks to all you guys for the encouraging posts, it was a good day!

Chad, you are so right, let's get them involved.
This youngster has a 3yr old brother, we took him to the local gun club one day, he got some trigger time.
Did score a hit on a bowling pin at 60 yards, with a model 52 scoped gun, but I don't think he grasped the concept.
I think our relationship in the near future will be better spent eating ice cream and popcicles on the back porch, and playing Hot Wheels.

The way the young one stuffs Lemonheads in his mouth, I think he will be an AR style dude, all in or no go!

I will stay working with the both of them, just hope the oldest doesn't try join this site when he is 12 or so!!

Congrats to your friend's son for his fine shooting, and to you and your friend for getting him outdoors shooting instead of leaving him to shoot on his XBox or Playstation. Looks like everybody had a great time.

Jeez, Louise; when I can get my doors blown off by a 6 y/o, it's time for me to hang it up...

Seriously, Kudos to all involved.

Sometimes, the only thing holding these kids back is our own disbelief.

Let this be a lesson to all of us. When in doubt, don't be in doubt; give that tyke a whack at the gong. They don't know what they can't do; and if they don't, do you really think you've got that all covered? Some of those surprises are gonna be good and big.

Where would some of us be if somebody had done that with us at that age? Don't we all know someone that age who might be this kid in disguise? I think that's our real challenge as gun owners, to find these kids and add them to our fold. Do you ever have to wonder who's gonna pick up all those nice guns we all have when we're gone? If each of us could find just two...

Don't worry so much about something going wrong, that's why you're there; to keep a good steady handle on the rights and wrongs. That's what a range is supposed to be; a safe place to try and find out where those real limits actually are.

Just do it...

Greg

Excellent !! Well done, Sir (Yep, 6 years old deserves Sir, too).
From the other side of the Pacific where the anti-firearms lobby have far too much influence on us 'normal' people. I've half a mind to move to where shooters are considered just part of society.
I wait to see what this young fella does at 1000yds. GoodonyaSon.

I've got a nephew, he's twelve now, but when he was nine, I used him to take money off guys at camp. Loves to shoot, his dad has worked with him, and shooting tannerite jars at 300 yards is no biggie for him. Love to take him along when I have older guys that can talk a good game.

"ole Ryan here, now I'll bet he can hit that tannerite before you do"

"Oh hell no he can't, he's not even ten yet"

"betcha twenty bucks"

Ding, boom, payday.

Love taking kids out, they see the world in a way that we should remember how to.

Now thats great shooting looks like hes doing us proud

That is awesome. I can't wait to take my nephew's and niece out shooting I think maybe next year my brother and sister will let me start taking them out shooting. Keep posting pic's of his of his progress.

Great to see you taking the young ones shooting. I take my daughters every chance I get. So far 170 is long range for them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will stay working with the both of them, just hope the oldest doesn't try join this site when he is 12 or so!! </div></div>

As long as he doesn't find the motivational picture thread before The Talk. Great post. Wish my dad had let me get more than a .22 in my youth. Don't regret this when he wants a .338 LM to really reach out and touch steel.

Very cool man! Its good other people are getting there kids into it.My daughter is 5, and LOVES to shoot. got a few videos of her shooting on youtube if you wana show the boy, curtisclayne is my youtube user name.

Keep up the good work young man!

Hey guys, I told you I would keep you posted on our shooting.
Well Sunday morning rolled around and the weather forcast was for 5mph east wind, pretty favorable for shooting.

So we decided to try this stuff again, I threw in 3 head banger style targets, we were gonna try get the little guy to shoot 800, 900, and 1000 yards with the 6.5x47.

Well to start it off, we set the targets, getting back to shooting spot, I notice th 800 headbanger looks as though it is right beside our 700 yard target stand. Stands are made of 2&7/8 wll tubing, 5' high, 5' across, can hold up to 4 hanging targets, they're huge and our designated target at 800 is molded right into the 700 yard stand. I knew this was going to be a challenge. Long story short, he couldn't hit the headbanger at 800 in 3 attempts, no biggie, the sight picture was busy to say the least.

So I get on the 10" plate at 900, low right hit, I adjust the scope, set the kid up for a try at the HB, 12'x16", he misses 2 shots, then whack, he got it on 3rd. OK, not as good as last week, but we are trying, good.

IMAG0176.jpg

So I shoot the gun at 1K, I hit low right on the 10" plate, dial 1/4 up, 1/4 left, get him set up for this one.
Bamm, 1st round hit, now we're pumped.
His hits are high, my fault, should have known he wasn't loading the bipod, so his were going to hit high, my bad. Try to get him to shoot again, no go, he says it hurts, gun's kicking him. That's ok, he goes back to shooting his 22 at spent shotgun shells from this morning goose hunt at 20 yards, doing quite well at it too!

IMAG0174.jpg

So I guess now we are really just showing off, I shoot the other 6.5 at 1350 yards, hit a head shot on the IPSC sillouette on my second try. I crank the turret down, holler for the little dude to see if he wants a poke, yes, he's in.
1st shot 3 feet right, wow, figured he pulled it, the trigger is heavier than the first gun, 2nd shot 6" left. I asked him, like I do everyone shooting my guns, did you make a good shot? He said yes, so I crank the scope 1/2 moa to the right, get him back on the target. Oh, forgot to mention he's getting slightly cocky after his hits!!. So as we taught him, he asks if we're ready, say yes, bamm, he shoots right away, I had to do a fat ass bunny hop to get behind the spotting scope, made it just in time to see splash high left on the target, I just laughed, his Dad and I make eye contact, confirming the hit, then ping, almost 6 seconds later we hear it, cool. My fault, I should have given him the extra 1/4 minute right, but a hit is a hit, I would not want to be standing out there! So 3rd shot hit!! And that is a long ways for a 6.5x47, and anyone shooting it.
IMAG0181.jpg

We painted over my hit for the pic.
We had told him earlier that if he shot well today, we would give him a treat, so we went out and picked up the HB's, set them at 300 yards. Broke out the JP AR-15, let the kid light em up, he did extremely well, he would get 3 shots off in 5-6 seconds, then would have to re-adjust. Honestly, out of 60 or so shots, he only missed about 10, mostly from cockiness, and slapping the trigger on head shots, something I can do well also.
And to top off his day, we stopped in the gunshop where the range is, Chuck Mcintosh owner and freind of Mac's Gunworks, asked Bevan if he wanted to shoot a real fun gun, here we go.
He hands us a full auto, suppressed M-4, 2 ten round mags. The trigger was so stiff, he couldn't even pull it, I had to squeeze 1st one off, then he shot 4, then 3, then the last 2, fun.
We then told him for next mag he had to shoot all 10, I held the bipod down, he ripped a 50 foot swath accross the prarie.

So all in all, the kid had one hell of a day for a 6 year old. I was 40 before I got my dickbeaters on a full auto!

Being honest, as long as I had a 50 round box of ammo, it was a given that he would hit almost any target he shot at. I could have taken the gun from him, and got back on target for him, so I don't know how realistic this all is , but he did make good shots, so who knows??

That is absolutely awesome man!!

I wish I had started at that age, and hope one day if I have a son he will like it as much as I do.

Glad you posted back Milo. To keep us shooting we have to get the next generation doing it also. For them to do it, it's got to be fun and rewarding. And, most of all, safe.

Too often we get the TV version of guns. Random stupid violence on both sides of the story.
I hesitate to use the term 'toys' but that's what a lot of my guns are. You have to learn to play safe with them, and that involves never doing stupid things like pointing them at people. If kids learn early the safety rules with guns (not in a way that they never want to come back) they'll use them safely and have fun with them. What can I say, when kids like it, and it's safe, moms are a lot more apt to let it happen.

The challenge you presented this kid with, I mean just the shooting, is nothing short of spectacular. With this introduction, I hope he'll continue with it to the point where he'll go out and challenge himself someday.

That is very cool! I take my 6 & 7 year old girls shooting from time to time. They can do very well with a 22lr, but this makes me want a centerfire they can shoot. Keep feeding him ammo!

Guys,
Thanks for giving the thread some more mileage.
SW, his father is more into bow hunting, so it might be a challenge.
Jbell, when we go to local range, we make him pick up spent brass to recycle for ammo. It's unreal the people who hand over 22 shells for him to shoot, good people.
He'll just sit at a bench by himself and shoot away, then come get one of us to help reload. Kinda cool, everyone leaves us alone.
Cmonroe, won't cut the stock, he'll have grow into it. The gun was his originaly, started as Rem 700, Limited Edition SF .260, 2006 model. I bought it for him when he was born. I customized it into a 6.5x47 hunting rig, only rifle part left was the action. Then realized I don't hunt, wtf??
So I rebarreled and restocked it again, the gun is getting a little pricey to give away, but I will.

Next time we go out, we'll work from 200-800 yards, try to get him more involved in the thought process, which he is capable of!

Anyway, Thanks again, thread has been fun for me!

That is awesome, Keep up the good work! I enjoy reading stories like this.

Grason

Great Thread!
I don't have any children myself but I do have two nephews that love to shoot. They are much more into quantity rather than quality when it comes to rounds down range but I have gotten them to shoot my little youth winchester 243 at 100 yds a time or two. They did pretty well but still need some work. No where near as well as this little guy!
Thanks for taking the time to post this. Makes me realize I need to get some steel and let them try some longer shots!