• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

60 gr sub ammo

Alaskaguide

Sergeant
Minuteman
I am considering getting a faster twist barrel for a 10-22 to shoot the 60 gr subsonic ammo.
What is the availability of the 60 gr ammo?
Who carries it?
Any one done a penetration test comparing 40gr standard velosity to 60gr subsonic ammo

I am Using a gemtec can on a 10-22 and on a sig mosquito

Re: 60 gr sub ammo

I have the fast twist on a Ruger 10-22. Without a different stock, it will be so-so accurate. That said, I have mine zeroed at 25yards, as that as is far as I needed to be for the purpose of that rifle. The rifle is fully capable for all head shots at that range.
You can find the 60g Augila for less than $40.00 per a brick of 500. The 60g's will cycle the Ruger 10-22, but it will get dirty fast when suppressed and start to mis-feed/stove pipe. I have had the 60g's zip through raccoons more ofter than naught, and with those "pass-throughs" make damn sure what's beyond your critter.
That said, a 40g will cycle almost any semi when suppressed secondary to the additional back pressure.

If you want stupid quiet, use a bolt action and a 40g standard velocity. I have never had the need for multiple shots were a semi was needed. Maybe I am too slow, but if there is more than one raccoon, the sound of a bullet hitting bone/meat will scatter them quicker than I can get off two shots at different critters (at that close of a range).

I have a 10/22 that I set up with a fast twist barrel just for the 60 grain Aguilas. The first couple hundred rounds the accuracy was more akin to a shotgun pattern at 50 yards. After 200-300 rounds however, I put it on paper again. Accuracy was literally one hole at 50 yards. The rifle is a stock 10/22 receiver and bolt. Fast twist barrel and some trigger parts. All bedded in a Boyd's Tacticool stock. It is super quiet especially if I block the bolt closed with my thumb. The shorter case of the Aguilas allows for more action noise than regular 22lr. The action does get super dirty with the 60's and a suppressor. The rifle is just as accurate with the lighter weight ammo. I have shot a few animals with the 60's. A rabbit was a center mass hit at about 30 yards. The animal ran off never to be found again. The rest were birds. All dead but nothing spectacular. All in all, I am happy with the barrel and my choice to purchase it. Considering it shoots the regular ammo and the heavier ammo equally well, I consider the ability to shoot the heavies just another option. And IMO, options are good.

The ammo can be hit or miss based on lot number, i have done a 77/22 and a 10/22. Sold both. I think the subsonic 40gr HP killed stuff better and shot flatter. The 60gr penetrates like crazy, but was never accurate enough. RWS 40gr Subs outdid it in accuracy and lethality.