• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

60 grain!?

Re: 60 grain!?

Yes, got some a few years ago. Worked well out of a AR-15 with a conversion kit. They wont stablize in a standard rimfire barrel.

I shot some out of my 10/22 last year. They didn't group at all out of my 16" barrel. I'm sure they'd have a good bit of kick when it hit the target though.

Green mountain barrels makes a 1-9 twist barrel for the 10/22 and 77/22 specially for shooting these things. some of the guys on RFC say their guns seem to like them really well

I've had them stabilize from a non 1-9twist Green Mountain for 10/22...but this isn't something I would count on.

They have shot relatively well from a 9twist Lilja but that barrel is still in "break-in" so I hope the group sizes will reduce.

I was enamored with the 60gr for a while. I think if you compare the 60's "energy" with say CCI SV, you may find that SV has more as I believe the 60gr is pretty slow...just sayin'

well, I was thinking of shooting them out of a 1.5" pistol barrel, so not worrying about group. 60 grains should carry some impact at close range. Guess I'll get some n try them out.

I have some from Aguila, as well as their super colibri stuff which is 20g. Both work well in my old Remington model 34 but I have no idea what the twist is. It can chamber short/long/long rifle so I assume it doesn't have too fast of a twist which is why it shoots the stuff well. They hit the target with a good bit of energy but doesn't have long range potential because its going slower than a LR round. Within 100 yards it would probably kill nicely.

Anyone ever tried these out of a .22 pistol? Suppressed?

I saw a video somewhere of a rifle shooting 60 grain with suppressor. It was deathly quiet and the impact was loud.
I would not want to be on the receiving end of that combo!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical .22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone ever tried these out of a .22 pistol? Suppressed? </div></div>

I have. Tried in in my Tactical Solutions 1911 w/ a SWR Spectre.

Shot fine, but found it to spit powder back at you while shooting just as it does in my 10/22.

I have only used the 60 grainers within 50 yards but it does the deed on groundhogs. I have shot several and head shot knock right over, with no exit wound!

the word on the street, is that those were devloped for the IDF to shoot through their suppressed 10/22 as close in sniping platforms for the urban environment taking out lights and other items...but that is just a rumor that i have heard...i don't think that i actually believe it though

They are just as loud as a normal .22 when shot without a suppressor. If I was going to run around shooting out lights in urban areas I would want sub sonic and a suppressor. They still hit pretty hard and are quieter than regular velocity rounds and a suppressor. Just my .02.

The slower the twist the better. Light bullets need to be spun fast, and heavy ones slow. A 1:9 or 1:7 would be great for the 60g.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, is a fast twist barrel required to stabilize these?</div></div>

That is what I've read... But some of my 1/16 handle them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gathert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The slower the twist the better. Light bullets need to be spun fast, and heavy ones slow. A 1:9 or 1:7 would be great for the 60g. </div></div>

I don't think you understand the slow/fast twist definition.

60 grain .22 rimfire is just a novelty item . I have shot them & I really don't see the advantage to having the extra Ft/lb impact energy & 50 or 100 yrd. in a Rimfire platform .
The 60 grn. ammo is waist of your Time if genuinely seeking Suppressed w/slow vel. energy & accuracy , Your time that is used better given to a pltform of dedicated, 9mm/.45 cal or ,30-221/Blk Cal. .
Shoot the standard or match .22 rimfire ammo . No specialized slower twist needed for reliable & quiet accuracy shooting standard or subsonic Vel. Match 40 grn . ammo . HAS larger, better ammo selection with possessing more predictable accuracy @ closer & longer distances than the 60 Grain offering . And you get no hassles with suppressor with stability issues associated with the 60 grn. weight shooting .
40 grain weight & down to 38 grn. .22 weight has dropped A lot of things for me all the way up to coyote size game 'past' 100 yrd . 38 grn. suppressed sub. vel. has knocked over full size prarie dogs out past 100 yrd. .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, is a fast twist barrel required to stabilize these?</div></div>

That is what I've read... But some of my 1/16 handle them.</div></div>
This is the sort of answer that I'm looking for. So some 1:16" twist barrels actually do stabilize these bullets. Anyone else out there have success shooting the 60 grain bullets out of their 1:16" twist barrels?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dantrom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, is a fast twist barrel required to stabilize these?</div></div>

That is what I've read... But some of my 1/16 handle them.</div></div>
This is the sort of answer that I'm looking for. So some 1:16" twist barrels actually do stabilize these bullets. Anyone else out there have success shooting the 60 grain bullets out of their 1:16" twist barrels?</div></div>

When I bought my 16" threaded CZ 452 the owner of the shop told me he had the same rifle in his personal collection and that his shot the 60 grain bullets "fantastically"! Whatever that means I didn't ask him to elaborate, but I have shot the 60 grain bullets through my 16" CZ ( 1/16 )with good success out to 30 yards. I just havent tried them any further than that..

I also have an OLD Stevens favorite ( 1/16 )that is a hammer with every round I feed it, including the 60 grainers. I have killed several groundhogs within and out to around 50 yards with reliably perfect shot placement and performance.

I also have several other 22's that will not shoot the 60 grainers reliably at all. I would not try an ethical shot on any animal (accept maybe a cat!).
smile.gif

My mileage suggests you buy a 50 round box try in through several rifles/pistols. If you like any results, stock up!

They shoot fine out to 50 yards in my CZ 542. The accuracy blows dead bears much past that.

A stock 10/22 that is a surprisingly good shooter with several different brands and weights of rimfire is worthless with them.

My Ruger MkII 22/45 Competition Target, which is an <span style="font-style: italic">outrageously</span> accurate pistol, doesn't do very well with them at all. Inch and a half at 25 yards and an occasional sideways hit.

My Old Model Single Six thinks they're junk...keyhole city.

The New Model Bearcat puts them into tidy clusters at 50 feet (the longest distance I was able to shoot the day I had that combination at the range).

But they do put a serious beatdown on feral cats at 25 yards with a headshot.
whistle.gif

I've got a few self feeding pistols that like it and a few that don't(tumble). What supprised me was my 12" contender loves it even out to 100m.

My buddies savage shot them well at 50 yards. We did not push them further but they were fine at 50.

I've had very good success with the 60 grain chunks out of a savage TRR-SR. They do turn into IDF (indirect fire) past 100m...really drop...but they are quiet and the noise you hear is generaly contact on target.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PLGb1bKIvf8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PLGb1bKIvf8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I run them almost exclusively in my AR with the 22lr conversion when not ripping federal bulk through it.

They shoot pretty good out of my mosquito with tac sol supressor. I have used them on oposums and it only takes one.