• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes $600-$900 budget long range scope

patriot07

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2017
Dallas
Just a guy who likes to go shooting after work 2-3 times a month. I have a Tikka CTR 6.5 creedmoor that I will be shooting from 100-1,000 yards. I have a discount opportunity on a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5-25 FFP that puts it under the $900 mark. Is there anything else in the $600-$900 price range that is a good option? I got to look through the 3-15 FFP Gen 2 PST and loved it. Took a look through the XTR II 5-25 and wasn't impressed at all.

I currently run an SWFA 16x42, which is perfectly adequate for what I do, but here's what I'd like to upgrade:

- glass quality
- mag range
- side focus
- better reticle (love any of them with a floating or open center)

Weaver 6-30x54 at Natchez for $750.

Interesting, didn't know weaver had much of a reputation on that tactical/long range side. I had a grand slam model on my 22 awhile back that I bought at Natchez, and it was an awesome scope for the $. But that reticle on the 6-30x54 tactical model leaves something to be desired...

Anyone have any info on Bushnell Elite Tactical LRS? Is the glass as good as the ERS?

At that price range in FFP you can get the Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 but if you can get the PST GII 5-25x50 for less than $900 I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, this is a heck of a deal.

Buy the vortex PST 2 and don't look back. Its the best scope for the money,especially at that price, nothing comes close. Thats the combo I have on my CTR 6.5 in a spuhr mount with 24 MOA built in, it got rid of the rail as well. I'm really impressed with the package.

At that price range in FFP you can get the Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 but if you can get the PST GII 5-25x50 for less than $900 I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, this is a heck of a deal.

Thinking about maybe the Argos or Helos as well. Not sure about Athlon overall build quality and glass quality compared to bigger name brands? By the time I'm buying the Helos or Ares, I can't see why I wouldn't just get the PST unless they're actually better?

Thinking about maybe the Argos or Helos as well. Not sure about Athlon overall build quality and glass quality compared to bigger name brands? By the time I'm buying the Helos or Ares, I can't see why I wouldn't just get the PST unless they're actually better?
I would never put the Argos or the Helos in the same tier of the PST GII, the Ares is but a brand new PST GII $300 lower than MAP price would be my choice all day every day.

I just picked up an Ares 4-27. It surprised me. Glass is clear I personally like the floating center and reticle overall. 10 mil turrets zero stop that's easy to set. Illuminated and 850 out the door. It is easy to get behind for me even when I shot from my weak side.

Anarchy outdoors has a promo code for 125$ worth of extras at time of purchase. Bags, bipod, rings whatever's in stock.

It's a no frills box on the down side. No sun shade or throw lever or even bikini covers. They are available just cost extra. Also like most all manufacturers the no questions asked guarantee... not that I want to test anyone's service dpt. out. It's worth looking at IMHO.
Good luck

You could look in the optics px. Some decent used glass in there. I would say look between the gen2 pst and ares btr. Very comparable in quality and clarity. Which one has the features you want.

This is a $1700 scope way beyond OP budget.... and with that reticle? I pass.

Natchez. Under 700 with a 10% discount a few weeks ago. Still 750. And, while not high-speed low-drag like a Christmas tree, the reticle isn't "bad" at all IMO.

This is a $1700 scope way beyond OP budget.... and with that reticle? I pass.

Yes my mistake I should of clarified. The common sale price is 700-750. Hell of a lot of scope for that price. Weaver will stand behind their product. It's not advertised like vortex or Athlon but weaver has been around for a long time and will support the customer and their product like everyone else.

Yes my mistake I should of clarified. The common sale price is 700-750. Hell of a lot of scope for that price. Weaver will stand behind their product. It's not advertised like vortex or Athlon but weaver has been around for a long time and will support the customer and their product like everyone else.

It's Jap glass from LOW and is amazing glass for that price range. There's a thread here from when it came out with a price tag pushing 2k where people thought it would be a steal at 1,200 bucks, 1,500 if it had a better reticle.

Why no mention of the Sig Tango 4 or Tango 6? Are they decent scopes?

It's Jap glass from LOW and is amazing glass for that price range. There's a thread here from when it came out with a price tag pushing 2k where people thought it would be a steal at 1,200 bucks, 1,500 if it had a better reticle.

Honestly, I'm sure the glass is great, but that reticle is essentially un-useable for wind holds. It has no marks at all inside 1 mil. Just can't see how anyone would spend $700 on it if you do wind holds at all. The more I look at the reticle, the more I just can't understand how Weaver would design something like that. The Burris, Athlon, Bushnell, and Vortex reticles are all a huge upgrade.

I bought the Weaver 6-30x56 (800390) just recently while it was on sale for $750 at Natchez. I plan to use it for long range shooting. The major disadvantage of it is the weight, comes in at 40oz.

I also own the Weaver 4-20x50 (800380) which I paid $800 for a couple years ago. I prefer the 4-20 scope because it is much lighter at 28oz. Both scopes are sitting in their boxes right now, unsure which one to use.

Athlon Ares, can be had quite a bit cheaper than your price on the PST. I also like the reticle better on the Athlon.