• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 600-yard Match with Berger Target Hybrid 140-gr.

Racer88

Firearms Pedant
Minuteman
  • Nov 10, 2018
    A bit of a long story... bear with me. I shall bear my ballistic soul, and I hope to maybe learn something. :)

Equipment: RPR 6.5-CM with 3,360 rounds through the original OEM barrel. Harris bipod. Rear squeeze bag. Vortex Viper HST 6-24X50.

Ammo: Factory Berger Match Grade Target Hybrid 140-gr.

Shooters:
    Mike - 3rd time ever at 600 yards with this rifle.
    Daughter - 1st time ever at 600 yards. First match, ever. Her 6th time ever on this rifle.

The story of our NRA High-Power F-Class match...

Normally, they pair up shooters and shoot in 2 "relays." One shooter shoots, and the other keeps score. Then the 2nd shooter takes his turn while the first guy keeps score. Each relay is 22 minutes (2 sighters and 20 shots for score). Rinse and repeat for 3 targets.

But, today the weather was looking iffy, and there weren't many shooters. So, they ran ONE relay to expedite the event. My daughter and I were the only pair / squad. Everyone else was single. Since my daughter and I were sharing a rifle, that meant we were in the same relay and had HALF the time, assuming we split it evenly - which of course, we didn't. I hurried even more, so she could have more time. We had to get our 44 shots in within 22 minutes.

Needless to say, we were RUSHED. And, the barrel never got to cool down.

I went first, to get the rifle / scope dialed in and set up for my girl. We had a full value wind from the left at about 8 - 10 mph. Got my 22 shots in. Then my daughter jumped on the rifle. At shot #12, the rain hit HARD. Downpour. The match director called a cease fire and ordered us to (urgently) run down to the targets and take them down. We got SOAKED. I mean like jumped into a pool-soaked.

We waited for the rain to pass, which didn't take too long (maybe 20 minutes). Then back to the target pit to put the targets back up. Wind was now almost dead calm.

My daughter would be allowed to finish her 1st target, but it would be under the new clock started for Round 2! Crap. So, she got her last 8 shots off for Target #1. Then I jumped on and shot my Target #2. Then she jumped back on for her Target #2. Oy! I was shooting so fast, I didn't look to see my impacts most of the time. So, I wasn't making any corrections.

Then a short break and then back on for Round 3. I shot my Target #3, and then my daughter shot her Target #3. Done and done!

Needless to say... Neither of us shot our best. BUT! We did pretty darned good considering the situation. And, my daughter kicked butt, considering the situation AND it was her first time ever at 600 yards. Also, keep in mind that we're shooting F-class targets, where the x-ring is 3 inches (1/2-MOA), and the 10-ring is 6 inches.

Here's the kicker! I beat her by only by 2 points! Effectively, a TIE! Here are our score cards:

Mike-scores.jpg

My girl's score card.jpg

My girl's targets:

This is the first 12 shots on her first target, before the downpour of rain. I forgot to get a screenshot of her last 8 shots. Note that her 2 sighters were a "10" and an "X!" Nice way to start! :cool:

Target (1).jpg

Note the odd horizontal stringing in Target #2. I don't know if that's really how she shot, or if it's a glitch in the e-target system.

Target (2).jpg

She was definitely fading on Target #3. She had had enough. :)
    Target (3).jpg

OK... My targets...

Not particularly proud. I've shot better. Since I was so rushed, I forgot to re-orient the ipad in "Portrait" mode for the screen shots. So, I cut off the bottom of the target a bit. Sucks, and annoys the "OCD" in me! Oh well... FWIW...

Mike-Target-1.jpg

For this target, I only occasionally looked at my impacts. I just wanted to "git'er done" so I could give my girl as much time as possible. At this point, I admit to being a bit annoyed at our time being cut in half, especially for my daughter's first match and time at this distance.
    Mike-Target-2.jpg

At this point, Target #3, I was really hurrying, so my girl could have some time to shoot her last target. I wasn't even looking at my impacts between shots at all. I just cycled the bolt and kept shooting. Actually a decent group, just offset from the bullseye.

Mike-Target-3.jpg

When I reviewed my 3rd target today (as I'm writing this post), I realized that there is a nice "cluster" of impacts within 1-MOA. Offset from the x-ring, low and left... I wasn't looking at my impacts and made no adjustments. Not bad, really, considering it was 600 yards. The square grid on the target are 1-MOA squares. I highlighted the square around the cluster in green. Most of the shots are within that square.

Mike-Target-3-cluster.jpg

Another interesting observation... I looked at the SD values for each session, according to the electronic targets.
    Sequentially, they went like this:

16.1 - Me Target #1
    8.5 - Daughter Target#1
    20.8 - Me Target #2
    9.5 - Daughter Target #2
    10.9 - Me Target #3
    15.4 - Daughter Target #3

Does that mean anything to anyone? All factory ammo - Berger Target Hybrid 140-gr. All the same Lot #. Barrel has 3,360 rounds through it.

Besides the sucky time constraint situation and the bad weather, we had a lot of fun. My daughter enjoyed it and wants to do it again. ?

I think she has potential!!
    My girl 600 yards (1).jpg

Looking forward to hearing any comments or input! Thanks for reading this admittedly long post!

Hmmmm... no takers, yet? Mostly I'm curious about this quoted part. Is such a variation of SD values "normal?" All the same factory lot.

Another interesting observation... I looked at the SD values for each session, according to the electronic targets.
    Sequentially, they went like this. Each target has 22 shots, except my daughter's first target.

16.1 - Me Target #1
    8.5 - Daughter Target #1 (12 shots)
    20.8 - Me Target #2
    9.5 - Daughter Target #2
    10.9 - Me Target #3
    15.4 - Daughter Target #3

But, also... my barrel is apparently the "Hannukah Barrel," with 3,500 rounds and still going. Is it really a miracle barrel? I guess I'm going to keep shooting it until it obviously gets hinky on me.

I can offer no valuable input, but awesome to see you getting your daughter into a hobby that you love too!

And I’d say she has some potential without a doubt ????

I can offer no valuable input, but awesome to see you getting your daughter into a hobby that you love too!

And I’d say she has some potential without a doubt ????

Thanks!

Yeah... I'm mostly curious about the experts' thoughts on the SD value variation... and what it means, if anything.

Plus, I had to brag on my daughter a little ;)

Nice write up and nice job all of you. You certainly got your money’s worth out of that barrel!

Reactions: Changed
    i guess the question is, is that a 1.5-2 moa barrel now? or a 1/2 moa barrel and inexperience/time constrained at 600y?

what's it do for strings of 10-20 at 100, 200, 300 yards?

i guess the question is, is that a 1.5-2 moa barrel now? or a 1/2 moa barrel and inexperience/time constrained at 600y?

what's it do for strings of 10-20 at 100, 200, 300 yards?

My daughter did this on her first time at 300 yards a couple of weeks previously.

300-yards-target-2.jpg

One of my targets from that same day:

Groups Mike-Target-4.jpg

200 yards a couple of weeks before the 300 yard day (3 range trips ago):

Great-group-2.jpg

An honest 0.385-MOA group at 200 yards:

Great-group-1.jpg

Attachments

• 1576682637762.jpeg
      1576682637762.jpeg
      118.2 KB · Views: 20
    • Great-group-1.jpg