• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

600 yards 22LR pictures

Re: 600 yards 22LR pictures

So.... any idea how much energy a 22lr has at 500yds? I envision shooting at a squirrel and just knocking him out rather than killing him....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halcyon575</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So.... any idea how much energy a 22lr has at 500yds? I envision shooting at a squirrel and just knocking him out rather than killing him....</div></div>
An estimated 29 ft lbs... give or take.
grin.gif

BS I just shot an old car @ 30000 meters... time wise it was only three days to get there cause it had to come out of orbit!
Kidding of course!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2500yards</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The CCI stingers are the only ones that still have power at that range.

My gun is sighted in with the Federal Match at 400 yards. </div></div>

First of all it sounds to me you are simply wasting your ammo just to see how far a .22lr bullet can travel and what kinda damage it does on a piece of board. Stingers are not known for their supreme accuracy, it is not a Match load and it's supersonic at the muzzle which completely screws up the accuracy at longer ranges. Second of all, what is your grouping at 400 yards??? Something like 20"??? And you call it "sighted in"??? To me <span style="font-style: italic">sighted in</span> is when I can consistently print 1/2" at 50 yards or 1" or under at 100. Can you do the same at 400??? If the answer is no, then you are not sighted in.

2500 yards

I say its your money, your time and your fun. Keep after it if thats what you enjoy.

We all shoot for different reasons. Some shoot paper, others steel, and other strickly shoot at living critters.

We are all in this "shooting sport" together, whether you are shooting handguns, shotguns, rifle, airguns, targets, paper steel, hunting, whatever??

If we don't start taking up for each other, not matter what type shooting we enjoy, we may some day find ourselves like our brothers in other parts of the world, UNABLE TO OWN A GUN OR SHOOT FOR ANY REASON.

I say if thats what you like to shoot, whatever it is, and its legal and ethical then I support you. It doesn't matter to me if I would ever shoot what you are shooting, but I stand up for your right to do it.

OK "Soap Box" put away.

AR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Short-bus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not meaning to be "that guy", but aren't .22lr AR15 conversion kits, and the dedicated uppers at well, kinda knows for not being the most accurate rimfires out there?

Wouldn't a bolt rifle be more accurate?</div></div>

5 shots, sling coat and irons, CLE upper, at 50 meters:

CLEupper.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2500yards</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The CCI stingers are the only ones that still have power at that range.

My gun is sighted in with the Federal Match at 400 yards. </div></div>

First of all it sounds to me you are simply wasting your ammo just to see how far a .22lr bullet can travel and what kinda damage it does on a piece of board. Stingers are not known for their supreme accuracy, it is not a Match load and it's supersonic at the muzzle which completely screws up the accuracy at longer ranges. Second of all, what is your grouping at 400 yards??? Something like 20"??? And you call it "sighted in"??? To me <span style="font-style: italic">sighted in</span> is when I can consistently print 1/2" at 50 yards or 1" or under at 100. Can you do the same at 400??? If the answer is no, then you are not sighted in.</div></div>

VYD, I can't tell if you're being serious or just baiting for reaction, but I'll assume you were being sincere.

Sir, if he could maintain the 1 MOA accuracy you're suggesting out to 400 yards, then he would be nigh unto the "messiah" of rifle shooting. With a .22 LR past about 125 yards, most of us aren't expecting sub-moa accuracy. The expectation is to observe the actual level of accuracy (whatever that may be) and then learn to make repeatable hits within those accuracy limitations in varying conditions.

As to using ss match ammo for this: The transonic problem is a deterrent to accuracy, but it's not a deal breaker in most cases. We all know that in theory the ideal would be to shoot only ss ammo for long range, yet other factors play a MUCH larger role, imho. There are pages of discussion on this topic, all of which are quite enthralling, I'm sure, so please feel free to imbibe of those noble archives. My experience is that accuracy does not deteriorate exponentially after crossing the sound barrier. I have yet to see any evidence that bullets suddenly destabilize to the point of detrimental accuracy erosion just because they have gone through the transonic zone.

Whether Stingers are the most accurate 400 yard .22 LR ammo available isn't the question...he was referring (in layman's terms) to apparent impact velocity/energy.

By "sighted in", I'm relatively sure he means that his scope is adjusted so that his POA and POI are the same @ that distance...whatever the group size may be. I'm not sure if you're a veteran playing dumb or if you have really never shot long range using target/"tactical" turrets on a scope to compensate for bullet drop over distance. I'm really not trying to be an anal retentive muscle, but I'm not sure from where you are coming. I assure you it is not my intention to insult your intelligence by any means!

I am sorry that you [apparently] have not yet experienced the joy and merit of long range rimfire shooting! My sympathies.

To 2500, what kind of groups are you getting at 400 (at which distance you aren't actually zero'd; you just think you are.
wink.gif
)?

I've only shot to 300 so far, but my "group" was laughable @ best.

As to hunting at 400 yards? I'd not try it because I don't have the capability of placing my shots in the vitals @ that range. If you can, then more power to you. If you can't...then I'd just hope you're man enough to swallow your pride and back off before you wound too many critters. That being said, prairie dogs hit in the chest @ 200 yards seem to die faster than those hit solidly at less than 100. [mumbles something brainy sounding about energy transfer] 8)

Keep up the good work and good luck!

-The Kid.

Last 300 yard group shot for the SH 300 yard Rimfire comps

Group was shoot prone no rear rest

10 ring 5.75 inches

X ring 2.75 inches

IMG_0807.jpg

Best group I have shot at 300 yards to date 246/250 with 9 x's.

23/25 rounds in the 10 ring those 23 rounds were 1.9 MOA

all 25 rounds including the 2 in the 8 ring 2.5 MOA

If I had enough come up in my scope, I think I might be able to put together a decent group at 400, 500+ ?????

I shot this with a 20 MOA DIP rail on an Anschutz 64 MPR and I was 37 MOA up with a 50 zero. I only have 45 total come up and leaves only 7 which means using all the scope and all the mil dots I am good to right at 380.

I would try a 30-40 MOA rail if I could find one, but that would probaby not let me zero less than 150. I guess that would be OK as I normally shoot this rig and 200 and 300 yards anyway.

AR

HathcockWannebe, not baiting for anything but allow me to suggest you do a thorough research on what a transonic stage does to a supersonic bullet. There are reasons all Match grade .22LR loads are subsonic. There are also reasons .308 Palma shooters use 30"+ barrels and 155 grain loads - that is because they need the bullet to remain supersonic at 1000 yards. I wonder why...school me on this one.

Now, about "experiencing the joy." If you can shoot your .22 to 600 yards, God Bless, I sure hope you learn something from a puff of sand/dirt down 600 range. Some folks take their Daisy Red Riders to 200 yards and AK47/SKS to a 1000...Well, each has its own way to be joyfull, can't argue with that, lol.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/shooting-skills/rimfire-tactical-precision-match/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HathcockWannebe, not baiting for anything but allow me to suggest you do a thorough research on what a transonic stage does to a supersonic bullet. There are reasons all Match grade .22LR loads are subsonic. There are also reasons .308 Palma shooters use 30"+ barrels and 155 grain loads - that is because they need the bullet to remain supersonic at 1000 yards. I wonder why...school me on this one.

Now, about "experiencing the joy." If you can shoot your .22 to 600 yards, God Bless, I sure hope you learn something from a puff of sand/dirt down 600 range. Some folks take their Daisy Red Riders to 200 yards and AK47/SKS to a 1000...Well, each has its own way to be joyfull, can't argue with that, lol.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/shooting-skills/rimfire-tactical-precision-match/</div></div>

I think we all pretty well understand that, bud, but thanks for the suggestion. I don't believe I said anything to suggest that crossing the transonic barrier has no affect on accuracy. If I gave that impression then it was due to my limited communication skills. I do, however, maintain that many times a bullet can and will remain reasonably stable/accurate after going subsonic. By no means do I intend to suggest that it is ideal.

As to 600 yards with the .22? No practical reason for me to try that. 400? Sure; sometime. I'd encourage you to give this stuff a try and see for yourself why some are doing it before you go to downing someone for doing something you don't see as meritorious.

Hmmm...a Red Ryder to 200? Wow...I've never thought of taking it beyond 100! :p I bet I've still got that thing in a closet somewhere...maybe I could duct-tape a BSA 2-50x55mm DSDS (Deluxz Super-Duper Sniper) scope on top and give it a whirl!

-The Kid.

While we're off on this tangent I just want to note that there are a few bullets (none rimfire, mind you) that actually handle the transition from supersonic to subsonic incredibly well. The degree of accuracy depends on a number of things but the fact that you can build a rifle to push the limits of a certain cartridge is spectacular. I remember reading an article a year or so ago on accurateshooter.com about a man who pushed a 223 or similar class cartridge to 2000 yards or something like that. It was a very interesting read and it makes you rethink the importance of keeping your shots supersonic. It sure does help a whole hell of alot, sure. But just because you're shooting at a distance where your bullets go transonic before impacting your target doesn't necessairily mean that all hope is lost and the ship must be abandoned. Since finding this article, which I cannot find at the moment, I have entirely rethought certain capabilities. However the limiting factor with the 22lr is the bullet's design. It doesn't handle going transonic very well like the slick VLD's of centerfire calibers.

Terror, I believe one of these manufacturers is also a sponsor on this forum, but I could be wrong. You are correct though about VLD bullets...