• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

600 yards 22LR pictures

2500yards

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2009
Maryland
I think this is the absolute max for a .22LR, I have been shooting at a 4ft X 8ft ply board target and every ammo I have tested has been all over the place at this range. I have had the wind from my back to straight on to dead calm, which makes for incredible differences for elevation settings.

The most accurate I have been at this range is 1 in 5 shots hitting the 4ft X 8ft target. I was really hoping to see a .22 go longer than 600 yards, but I dont see it happening.

If anyone out there can find an ammo to accurately make the trip, please fill me in. I would love to keep trying, but at this point feel I am just wasting money.

Here is my setup for 600 yards. It was a fun test to see what could happen. My target is on the hill in the distance. You can see it clearly in a cool picture I got though the scope.

Re: 600 yards 22LR pictures

That's nice rig there with the suppressor. What ammo are you using for that kind of range? Also, how much elevation and windage correction do you need to get to 600 yards? That's is certainly impressive for a 22 LR.

Are you sure you don't have to prop the gun on its butt and drop the 22 rounds in from the top? Thats a looong way for a 22 lr.

I have fired Federal Champion, Federal Match Target, CCI minimag and CCI Stingers.

The CCI stingers are the only ones that still have power at that range. They fully penetrate the plyboard and blow apart the back side since they are hollow points.

My gun is sighted in with the Federal Match at 400 yards. I aim the bottom of my scope at the top of the target or depending on the wind direction, then go up a little higher than half way on the vertical line.

My scope is already shimmed to get 400 yards and since I dont see myself getting any kind of grouping at 600 yards, im not shimming it up any more.

I had a great tree branch to consistantly aim at every time, so Im pretty sure I wasnt the problem.

I would try some Wolf Match Target or SK standard plus (same ammo, different packaging). It shoots VERY well in my Savage, and most people have excellent results with it.

Not meaning to be "that guy", but aren't .22lr AR15 conversion kits, and the dedicated uppers at well, kinda knows for not being the most accurate rimfires out there?

Wouldn't a bolt rifle be more accurate? If I was close I would come out and we could run some tests and do some side by side.

Another question....Why? And the answer "why not" isn't what i'm looking for. If you are having a very difficult time hitting a 4x8 sheet of plywood at that range, what's the point of continuing shooting? There are folks on here that are barely getting consistent hits on e-types at 400yards. I myself have only made it to 175m (191 yards) and was getting somewhat consistent hits on a 6" steel plate.

I'm just really interested in hearing your reasoning for stretching the limits of the .22 to such a long distance.

Branden

P.S. I'm not trying to be a jerk, i'm just really curious. Oh, and cool shooting area BTW, makes me jealous!

I had a Compass Lake built 22 upper with the Krieger.

It would easily hold its own with my Remington 541X and Harrington HR12.

It was setup for service rifle so I never put a scope on it.

So I never did 50 yard benchrest groups.

I've shot paper at 200yds and got 3" groups, 300yds with 7" groups. I've shot steel to 400yds and been able to consistently hit a 18" plate. Extrapolating those results to 600yds means beening able to hit a target "area" of about 64".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TargetTerror</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would try some Wolf Match Target or SK standard plus (same ammo, different packaging). It shoots VERY well in my Savage, and most people have excellent results with it. </div></div>

The standard velocity stuff pretty well falls apart past 275-300 yards. The HV stuff (1200 fps or so) starts losing it at 400-450. When the velocity falls under 650-700 fps the bullets lose all accuracy in my experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not meaning to be "that guy", but aren't .22lr AR15 conversion kits, and the dedicated uppers at well, kinda knows for not being the most accurate rimfires out there?

Wouldn't a bolt rifle be more accurate? If I was close I would come out and we could run some tests and do some side by side.

Another question....Why? And the answer "why not" isn't what i'm looking for. If you are having a very difficult time hitting a 4x8 sheet of plywood at that range, what's the point of continuing shooting? There are folks on here that are barely getting consistent hits on e-types at 400yards. I myself have only made it to 175m (191 yards) and was getting somewhat consistent hits on a 6" steel plate.

I'm just really interested in hearing your reasoning for stretching the limits of the .22 to such a long distance.

Branden

P.S. I'm not trying to be a jerk, i'm just really curious. Oh, and cool shooting area BTW, makes me jealous!</div></div>

I have found my AR-15 w/22 conversion to be very accurate. I have been shooting with a few other guys with .22LR bolt style guns and have had great results.

To answer why, That is simple. I love shooting long distance. I like to see what the max range is. for me, the challenge of hitting a target past its intended range gives me the challenge I enjoy. I wouldnt go hunting with a .22LR at 600 yards, but I would at 400 yards, where most would'nt trust them selves at 200 yards.

I was never into .22LR's so after I bought this kit, it gave me the opportunity to test it out. I dont think your being a jerk. Hope I answered your question. btw. thanks, I am lucky to have a nice farm to shoot on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shot paper at 200yds and got 3" groups, 300yds with 7" groups. I've shot steel to 400yds and been able to consistently hit a 18" plate. Extrapolating those results to 600yds means beening able to hit a target "area" of about 64". </div></div>

I dont think you can Extrapolate those results to 600 yards. It seems to me the ammo just looses way to much after 500 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ALShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aquila interceptors 40 grain solid at 1470 fps.</div></div>

I will try it. Maybe the extra weight will help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2500yards</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shot paper at 200yds and got 3" groups, 300yds with 7" groups. I've shot steel to 400yds and been able to consistently hit a 18" plate. Extrapolating those results to 600yds means beening able to hit a target "area" of about 64". </div></div>

I dont think you can Extrapolate those results to 600 yards. It seems to me the ammo just looses way to much after 500 yards. </div></div>

We have no argument about that. However, with those results, about a 6ft target would be the minimum size I would even consider attempting to shoot out at the ranges (600yds) you are discussing and I would have a clear dirt area aroung that to spot misses.

At 600yds the velocity is getting less than 600fps, which might be below the minimun velocity necessary to maintain stability. Wondering if those bullets are arriving to the target point-first or beginning to wobble/tumble.

I find distances past 350 yds are extremely difficult to be consistent. Conditions tear my groups (or steel hitting) apart at anything beyond 350. I have hit steel at 500 yds but that is rare and only on the best conditions (10"x16" plate). Some crazy 32 mils.

I have done my shooting with a bolt guns and any of the Eley line in 22lr. I have been shooting Team and Black box the most. I have tried most of the high end 22lr subsonics. I am paying for consistency only at these longer ranges.

I haven't done much with higher velocity but it cuts the drop a considerable amount at 250-350 yds. I can't find anything that is any more consistent than CCI Mini Mags for ridiculous 22lr shooting. 2' up/down at over 400 yds should be normally expected with any non premium ammunition.

Anyway, I find 200 yds in fair conditions to be death on rabbit size targets.

This is interesting to hear. According to JBM, I would run out of elevation in my scope right at 600 yards (using Eley Black Box). I am not surprised hearing that the CCI Stingers were hit-and-miss at that range. They are definitely crossing the sound barrier somewhere along the journey, so stability is a big issue.

On the other hand, sub-sonics have such low speed that any wind will have a major impact. A 10mph full-value wind should blow my Eley Match 32 MOA off course... that is more travel than my scope has at 0 elevation and far more windage than is possible at max elevation. Let alone tiny differences in wind from shot-to-shot. This is a tough distance for the 22LR... a bit beyond the design of the cartridge, but fun nonetheless...

Thanks for the info!

It's pretty intense that you can even think about getting a .22 to that range. It's pretty cool doing so with such low velocity. I love waiting for the hit a longrange!

I am at a loss for words......but

Shooting just to burn powder is all good fun and most of us do that just the same... But to me this is the same as trying to hit that same 4x8 plywood at 2k with a 308? Can it be done, sure. Will it be consistent... not really? It kind of goes back to "Maximum Effective Range". Sure a lot us like to push that as well within reason. But I think "Doubling" the MER is a waste of my time.
Another way to think about it:
Ok, you can hold the old double duce to 20" at 400yrds...
What target/prey is 20x20 that a 22 would effectively 'NEUTALIZE" at 400yrds?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brians708</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am at a loss for words......but

Shooting just to burn powder is all good fun and most of us do that just the same... But to me this is the same as trying to hit that same 4x8 plywood at 2k with a 308? Can it be done, sure. Will it be consistent... not really? It kind of goes back to "Maximum Effective Range". Sure a lot us like to push that as well within reason. But I think "Doubling" the MER is a waste of my time.
Another way to think about it:
Ok, you can hold the old double duce to 20" at 400yrds...
What target/prey is 20x20 that a 22 would effectively 'NEUTALIZE" at 400yrds?
</div></div>

I can't speak for 2500yards but, I like to actually try some of these situations instead of 'well a guy I know did this/that'.

I'm not purposely being a pain by asking but, I am curious where your coming from, have you ever shot a .308 to 2K? Not implying that you even want to. However I might try or read about it if I can.

Used more for an example and no I have not done it. But (Goshdamit I don't want to write a book here) if the Max Effective Range for a .308 is 1k and people push em to 1200-1300 that’s cool. Do they sit and pound a sheet of plywood at 2k with 10% accuracy, over and over. No.
Like you said trying is one thing. But continuing to push the exterior ballistics 2x's over is not the answer, another caliber for "that" distance is.
And lastly, so a .22 for all practical purposes is great for varmits... inside of 150yrds, maybe rabbits and p-dogs at 200-250.... But they barely in best case scenarios hold 2-3 moa at 250-300. Well that right there tells you accuracy window is larger than the target. Now you take it to 400-600 and simply put you might have to shoot 20-30 times to even connect with a jack and who knows where your gonna hit em?

I'm 100% sure he's not gonna try and shoot at a rabbit at 600 yards, he's doing it to have fun and see what his gun and ammo can do out there. No need to turn this into a discussion of the practicality of the 22 at 600 yards, everyone knows it's not optimal...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brians708</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Used more for an example and no I have not done it. But (Goshdamit I don't want to write a book here) if the Max Effective Range for a .308 is 1k and people push em to 1200-1300 that&#146;s cool. Do they sit and pound a sheet of plywood at 2k with 10% accuracy, over and over. No.
Like you said trying is one thing. But continuing to push the exterior ballistics 2x's over is not the answer, another caliber for "that" distance is.
And lastly, so a .22 for all practical purposes is great for varmits... inside of 150yrds, maybe rabbits and p-dogs at 200-250.... But they barely in best case scenarios hold 2-3 moa at 250-300. Well that right there tells you accuracy window is larger than the target. Now you take it to 400-600 and simply put you might have to shoot 20-30 times to even connect with a jack and who knows where your gonna hit em?

</div></div>

Sorry to offend you with my fun.

Keep on plinking. A thought if I may, if you want to work on your skill, form, ext... Keep it at a realistic range. If your just playing by all means carry on!

I could try to shoot a rubber band off my finger at a 10" target at 25yds with about the same effect, and it would be even cheaper.

If the 22 with a BC of somewhere around .103 (stingers) are only going 400fps, they lost their stability a long time before the target at 600.....

Couple years ago i was out with a buddy's kid hunting coyotes and we were walking thru a prairie dog town when i asked to take a look at the little 22 he brought with him. The kid had a 3-9x Simmons on top of this little Marlin with plex reticle. The plex post tip looked to subtend about 6 MOA at 9x. I told him if he cranked it down to 3x he'd get about 18 MOA to the lower post tip which might get him to ~300 yds. So we lasered a couple dogs at 290-something, and this kid gets set up off a PD mound and sends one prairie dog bound. Bullet hits a little low and the kid quickly comensates a bit higher and nails the PD, who rolls off the back of the mound. It came running back up and the kid shoots again and nails the dog again rolling him off the back of the mound once again, dead now. His buddy comes running out trying to figure out what's going on with him, and this kid nails this dog too in the next couple rounds. When we went out i couldn't believe we were gonna' see 2 dead PD's on the back side of that mound, but sure enuf they were there. This kid now works for HS Precision, biulding 408 Chey-Tacs and what-not, but i bet he'll never forget the "day of the 22."

When that kid made those shots there was 0 wind. Couple days later there was 2-4mph and he couldn't hit anything beyond 150 yds.

I've never shot a .22 anywhere near as far as the OP is doing here but if someone handed me a rifle and there was a target 600 yards away, you can absolutely bet I'd take a shot at it!
grin.gif

Great shooting, looks like alot of fun. Always wondered how far you could shoot a 22. Looong ways is appears....

I am gathering parts for a heavy barreled AR15/22LR upper. Going with a Spikes Tactical dedicated bolt carrier assy. DPMS Hi-ride slick side upper, full float forend, Bentz chamber and some luck.

Finishing up a MKIISPR(MOD 0) clone in.22LR with a Compass Lake 18" barrel. It's trying to shoot one hole @50yd (best so far 3/8" with SK Match, but lots of 3 or 4 in one hole with a flyer or two in another hole- hadn't put in the wedge yet). PLAYING @200yd, not much trouble to hit the 4" swinger.

A few shots on paper @ 200yd today in the rain suggest MOA is possible with RWS Target. Really waiting for the right day to test ammo.

Douglas premium barrel, M-261 bolt, the only way Frank White does them.

I went with an eXplore Optics clone of a MK4 3-10 Leupold. Focuses to 10yd.

"I'm 100% sure he's not gonna try and shoot at a rabbit at 600 yards, he's doing it to have fun and see what his gun and ammo can do out there. No need to turn this into a discussion of the practicality of the 22 at 600 yards, everyone knows it's not optimal..."

Well put. This is an interesting post and thanks to the OP for it. Some people just have to second guess and opine on everything.

Try some Wolf Match Target or anything (else) Lapua makes that is standard velocity.

I'm getting flatter trajectory from Wolf Match Target than I was getting with Remington Golden bullets... this is at 100yds. Golden would drop about 8.5", WMT is only falling 7" with both sighted dead on @ 25yds. WMT(or equivalent SK Jagd) is the most consistent for velocity of anything I've tried - unless the box said Lapua and cost 2 to 3x as much and even these were not much better than the WMT. WMT is good stuff. Try it at 600 and see what happens?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2500yards</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
To answer why, That is simple. I love shooting long distance. I like to see what the max range is. for me, the challenge of hitting a target past its intended range gives me the challenge I enjoy. I wouldnt go hunting with a .22LR at 600 yards, but I would at 400 yards, where most would'nt trust them selves at 200 yards. </div></div>

"Hunting" at 400y with a .22LR is irresponsible, nor is it hunting. It's maiming.

Shooting a .22LR at 600y is a waste of time, but that's your prerogative. Maiming animals at 400y isn't the slightest bit cool, nor justifiable, unless you're starving to death. Why not just throw dirt clods at fawns if you can get close enough?

Hunt what at 400 yards with a .22? Birds? Mice? Sure. But even a Rabbit you'd be unlikely to kill with one shot at 400 with a .22LR.

Good for you to challenge yourself at long range with a .22LR. I think that sounds like good, cheap, fun.

But please dont "hunt" with one at 400.

Sorry man, not to be a downer. But thats what happens online

While I realise this is a forum and everyone has thier own ideas on things. I am not a kid and I have been around guns my entire life. I know what my limits are for hunting.

Im not going to go hunt deer with a .22, but I never really cared too much about maiming groundhogs that dig holes all over our fields. I end up maiming more animals on farm equipment every summer than I have ever in my entire life of shooting. I have killed 5 groundhogs so far at 350-400 yards with my .22LR, so killing a groundhog at 400 yards is not a problem. Every one of them I have used the CCI stingers with good results.

I have killed many many black birds at 100-250 yards and not one of them has lived to limp away.

I dont kill rabbits. They are too cute to kill.

I must commend you on attempting 600 yards. I thought I was pushing the envelope trying to get out to 300 yards (the maximum distance of our local Range here where I live), and I still haven't actually reached that. I have reached 275 yards however, and am pleased with the results so far.

Long range .22lr is quite enjoyable, as is all long range shooting in my book. I do wish you good shooting in reaching the 600 yard goal, and I hope you keep us posted as to your progress.

Man,
Keep going, you are only shooting at some hunk of wood, not fur or feathers.

I thought since I was banging away at 1/4 mile[440Y], I was WAY! out in front, and I had enough scope adjustment to get to 500 yards( have not triggered one at 500Y, will have to add 60Y to my quiver)

anyway, my ammo box says it can go 1.5 miles. Perhaps we should see just how .22 rimfire performs at 880Y, 1320Y, 1760Y, 2600 yards. Any former morter specialists here?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiraz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

anyway, my ammo box says it can go 1.5 miles. Perhaps we should see just how .22 rimfire performs at 880Y, 1320Y, 1760Y, 2600 yards. Any former morter specialists here?

</div></div>
Thats funny. I wonder if you shoot it the 1.5 miles, if someone could just stand there and catch it. Now how cool would that be? haha. j/k.

I am done at 600 yards. good luck to you and anyone else attempting 600 or further. Its a heck of a fun challenge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I must commend you on attempting 600 yards. I thought I was pushing the envelope trying to get out to 300 yards (the maximum distance of our local Range here where I live), and I still haven't actually reached that. I have reached 275 yards however, and am pleased with the results so far.

Long range .22lr is quite enjoyable, as is all long range shooting in my book. I do wish you good shooting in reaching the 600 yard goal, and I hope you keep us posted as to your progress.</div></div>

Thank you. I have reached that goal, and have now given up. It was fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiraz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joe, you are back, all is well I hope.</div></div>

Hello Shiraz,

Had to devote some time to my muzzleloading shooting for our State Shoot over Labor Day weekend. I started practicing three weeks prior to the shoot,,, headed off to the shoot (325 miles away), my sciatic nerve flared up on me and I had to come home (without firing a shot). That sciatic nerve had me layed up for about two weeks+,,, now all seems well. Probably just over did it with some local matches prior to State and didn't condition myself properly.

We'll get back to this long range .22lr shooting soon. I kind'a miss smacking those little gongs from 200 yards!
smile.gif

2500 yards,

Appreciate the 600 yard effort. You've opened the door and gave us food for thought!
smile.gif

I think the .22lr has a lot of uses. I think this one qualifies as plinking.

If you're having fun and nobody's being harmed, I say go for it.

Just remember, one of the key safety rules is to be sure of your target and what's behind it.

I'm not sure how your hit probability figures into combining this with a 600yd shot, but I'd certainly be giving the beaten area some close recon under good magnification.

Greg

Sounds like fun.

Maybe I should send you some of my ammo. It says on the flap it is "dangerous" for 1 1/2 miles, but I have not tried shooting it that far.
wink.gif

I have found that the wolf target match runs pretty well in my 40x out to 300. When my buddy and I streched it to 400 the wolf just ran out of steam and was all over the place, but when we switched to some high velocity stuff we started getting much better results, by better results I mean sub 3ft groups. Im looking forward to going to 500 with them next summer, and trying some different types of HV ammo.

mike

I have not tried 600 yards yet, i shoot out to 500 all the time with my .22lr, I have a 30 inch steel target {round} I average 7 out of 10 shots, my best is 9 out of 10. Another member here witnessed my 9 out of 10. That was with Peters ammo, very little wind, i figure about 29 feet of drop. I told my self when i get 10 out of 10 i will move out to 600 yards.

Thanks for shearing your experience with long rang .22lr shooting