• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

62gr Green Tip Paint “Flaking” WTF???

sqidd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2011
Michigan
I have some 62gr “Green Tip” for my S&W M&P15 that I have not run very much. I think I may have put 100rds through it about a year ago. No feed issues at all. But…

I was just cleaning the rifle and when I finished I cycled about 10rds through it (with the charging handle) and for some reason decided to pull the upper off to look at it again. When I did I noticed green “paint” chips (small ones) on a few of the receiver/bolts surfaces and the feed ramps had some on it also. I can’t imagine getting a bunch of green paint in the action is very good for the operation of the rifle. Is this normal with “Green Tip”? Does it melt or something when the gun is warm?

The feed ramps seem to be working correctly. They have no sharp edges, they cycle the other two kinds of ammo I have for it, etc. As far as I can tell its operating correctly.

Anyone seen this?

Thanks

Re: 62gr Green Tip Paint “Flaking” WTF???

Completely normal and nothing to worry about. The gasses usually blow whatever might be left in the chamber right out of there.

ETA: I don't know in what situation you were doing this, but I'll post this one for anyone else reading. I wouldn't recommend repeated manual cycling with live ammo unless you're on a range with the rifle oriented appropriately. Dummy rounds exist for a reason and NDs do happen.

Great, thanks for the reply. I was thinking it was probably something like that but I had never noticed it so I had to be sure. I can’t imagine a whole bunch of green paint in the action doing it a whole lot of good.

I hear you about cycling the rounds. I rarely do it, but when I do it is out back of the shop with the muzzle pointed at the grass and everything “downrange” is unused farmland.

Thanks!

Normal. 855 does this no worries. U should see my rounds in my mags out here in afg they are all crap grade. Holding minute of insurgent. Still works

Normal and you will be fine. I have shot over 4K rounds of green tip in my SBR in the last month and while it doesn't shoot great it won't gum up your gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Awesymoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Holding minute of insurgent. </div></div>

LOL!