• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

65mm spotting scopes (please help)

mrobles3808

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2013
Nebraska
Hey Guys,

I have been blowing up the observation forum lately, trying to figure out how I can best spend my money (2000.00 budget) on a spotter. Use will be mostly for range, but also some digiscoping.

I have settled on two, the Swarovski ATS 65mm HD or the Razor Gen 2 65mm. There is a significant price difference, but if there is significant difference in quality, I have no issue going with the Swaro as it is in my budget.

I would love some feedback from you all,

Thank you,

Mark

Mark,
Not to knock your research, however, you should be looking through a Kowa. Please take a few minutes and give us a call to discuss it. As a long time supporting vendor here it's our pleasure to discuss the different options with you

I had the opportunity to look through both of those scopes and I felt the Swarovski out performed the Vortex. The image was much more clearer and easier to obtain. Was it enough to justify the difference in cost. That all depends on what you are doing with it. If I had the money, I would buy once and be happy.

Why the hell is Kowa Prominar not on your list?

Prominar is just about NASA level resolution. For digiscoping in particular, Kowa's use of a hybrid objective element combining a pure synthetic Fluorite lens with what is probably some version of a Lanthanum Crown or Lanthanum Flint element produces an image with extremely low chromatic aberration (achromatic, in fact).

Other than true astro scopes, I'd not spend my money on anything at that level EXCEPT a Kowa.

Well....maybe a Hensoldt... lol!

-Nate

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
I have the Swarovski but the STS model and it has amazing resolution. Sorry, can't compare to the Vortex or Kowa or Zeiss, USO, Leupold, Leica or Hensoldt as I've never needed to. Of course, they're probably all good and for shooting sports the Hensoldt is the standard.

I have BigEyz made out of Swaro 65 ST HD's and LOVE them. If I can help in any way. let me know. They have made what I though impossible as possible. I can find a groundhog in a fairly high field of beans at 1 mile by the COLOR of a small patch of head that did not belong. True color at extreme distance was a pleasant surprise. It means I first look for movement, then color give aways, and lastly images matching the game I am after.Changes the game a LOT.

Last edited:
I owned a Kowa 664 and would still have it if it was the angled 663.

Resolution and color were incredible, my only reservation was with the TE-9z eyepiece. That is the newest, but nowhere near new in the market, zoom eyepiece for the small body Kowa's. While the resolution and light transmission were certainly alpha quality the view feel restrictive.

You've got the budget for a 77mm from @ Camerland with the wide angle 11Z zoom and it is a game changer. I can't afford that setup myself but I have spent some time with one and it is truly alpha+ performance at a better price.

One caution with Kowa. They are fairly lightweight with a very fine texture armoring. When I first handled my 664 it almost felt cheap, not due to anything other than it's light weight. It won't have the reassuringly brick-like feel of a Swaro, just know that this is not a bad thing.

Nick

Mro,

I just went through the buying process on spotters as well. I have some distinct needs as concerns eye relief, so my options were definitely limited. That said, I looked through everything to try and find something that would work for me while researching. While that did not include Kowa, due to availability for me to look at, what I learned is that they are universally considered top drawer. The only drawbacks that folks mentioned to me were it's lack of tough armoring, and the relatively short eye relief (which is what put it out of consideration for me). Some folks wondered about their warranty...Swaro has a good reputation for taking care of their customers. Not that Kowa does not take care of folks, it's just an unknown.

On the Swaro side, well, they have a reputation for a reason. Just great stuff all around. Pricey, and some folks might say the Kowa is a bit better in some areas, but others disagreed. One thing about the Swaro, you will never have a problem getting out of it if you decide you don't need them any further. Resale is not an issue.

I checked out Leica and Zeiss as well, spent some time talking to their folks at DSC and NRA. Their stuff is very nice as well. But I think that Swaro is a the safest bet when you consider resale, their reputation goes before them, everyone wants one....quality is arguable between all these three with opinions coming from all angles. Viewing is subjective to a degree. One thing to further note is that they all look fine in bright lights....you separate the men from the boys at low light, but all of these are definitely 'grownups'.

All the previous brands, I feel, are top shelf. Vortex, while good, is not, in my experience, in the same class. Of course, it's not in the same price bracket either.

If you can afford it, I would check the Kowa if you can and make your decision from there. If you want to consider resale 'insurance' in the future, Swaro is very strong in this respect, and are setup very well for hunting.

HTH!

USACS, not if you are comparing apples to apples.

The difference is in field of view at a given distance. If you are spotting for impacts and the
targets are in that line of sight you will be good to go.

If you have numerous targets spread left to right that's when the increased FOV comes into play.

Hope this make sense?

Something else to consider, keep an eye on the "used" market as well. Can save money and get better optics compared to buying new.

Why the hell is Kowa Prominar not on your list?
Because: not tactical

My 60 mm TSN-601 + 25X LER eyepiece outperforms so many second tier scopes with huge objectives it's not even fair.

OP, be advised Kowa spotting scopes are sold without eyepiece. Figure that in your budget, but the way I see it that is a good thing. You, not some marketing guy, get to choose which eyepiece your scope will have.

As someone who wears glasses, the Kowa LER (long eye relief) eyepiece is a godsend.

Last edited:
Reactions: natdscott
Also another note on KOWA, they are not lifetime warrantied. Most of their stuff is 10 years. They are good optics.

Kowa is great for the price but If price isn’t a factor i will get the swaro

I can't make a comparison as I only have a Swaro but in general my experience is that better glass just helps you to see mirage, not through it. When it's bad it can defeat any optic.

Reactions: Ericsl2