• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

69 gr. Fed. Gold Medal Match ?

judgedelta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2010
Mississippi
Anyone got a load approximating FGMM with a 69 gr. matchking? I've got a big box of bullets and a precision 20" 1 in 8 AR on the way. Sierra's data is kind of on the mild side sometimes. Thanks.

My load that comes close is 25.3 varget,69smk,lapua brass and br4 primer. Thats out of a 26 inch remington 700 at 2945 fps. Might not be that close out of a 20 inch barreled ar and a little on the hot side.

I don't have any Lapua brass, but isn't it a little tight (thicker), like Lake City. Wouldn't commercial brass have a little more volume and maybe a little less pressure?

It should be close to lake city,probably within 15 or so fps but your barrel length and the fact its an ar platform will change things for sure. I dont think max load from hogden is much more than 26 grains so i would work up to it. Im willing to bet it will be around 25.8 or so but who knows for sure. Just be safe about it and i hope that helps.

69 SMK's ,23.5 gr H335, Lake City brass - Even went to 24 gr but groupings opened up
69 SMK's ,23.8 gr H335, Federal brass

16", 1:9

judgedelta,

Minor misunderstanding here, but I see this one a lot; LC military brass is no different than most any commercial (civilian) brass on the market, and does not need to have loads reduced from data using, say, Winchester brass. This applies strictly to the 5.56mm stuff. The 7.62x51mm (308 Win) and older GI surplus 30/06 brass definitely WAS thicker, had less capacity, and will need to have charges reduced compared to loads developed with commercial/civilian cases. I think the warnings about this were so pervasive in so many sources for loading data that everyone just assumes that the same warning will apply to the 5.56mm cases, and it does not.

23" 9 twist 5r.
24.6 h4895, Lapua brass, 205m, 2.265"oal.
Little more speed than the FGMM but accuracy is there. The factory load is awesome for store bought. You can outdo it though. This one does in mine.
Fun pulling the buggers out of the big bag.

eta; I did not see the speed that they say on the box [2950]. Do you have some as a comparison round?

Last edited:
My load that comes close is 25.3 varget,69smk,lapua brass and br4 primer. Thats out of a 26 inch remington 700 at 2945 fps. Might not be that close out of a 20 inch barreled ar and a little on the hot side.

Holy crap. That's my exact load ... except I use Fed BR primers.

Thanks everyone. The Sierra book lists 25.3 as the "accuracy load" in the AR section. I have loaded 40 and am ready to go...