• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

69 or 77 grain SMK in an 8 twist

cornhusker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2012
Towandaa,Pa
I used to use a lot of the 69 gr bullets in my 9 twist with excellent
accuracy at 300 yards. But have been working with the 77 gr smk
lately..Starting to think I ought to order more 69 gr..Any opinions
on this? Do or not to do? My main choice or powder is
reloader 15..Thanks

You’re starting to think? I’d be surprised if you got anything good at all with a 77 in a 9 twist. 69 was the tops I ever got to stabilize in my 9 twist, liked 60s more.

Edit: with 8 no worries

Last edited:
Your title say a 1:8, but your post say 1:9. Which are we talking about here?

For what it's worth, some folks get lucky and their 1:9 twist will shoot 75-77gr stuff well enough. For most though, 69-70gr is the highest a 1:9 will accurate stabilize.

A 1:8 is a different ball game, and should stabilize pretty much any 77gr pill and some 80gr as well.

yeah.it is screwed up/should have said I was wondering if the 69 gr would preform
better in my 8 twist than the 77 gr are doing..sorry for the mixup

If you are running an 8 twist then you should be fine. I run 77 SMK in an 8 twist with frequent .299/.350 groups. Remember, the advertised twist may not be what you get. It might be close, but not always. Buy a hundred and try them with a powder like Varget.

I ran 80gr SMKs for years in 1:8 Wilson 20" barrels. They shot great. 77s will be no problem if it's a true 8 twist.

Varget and RL15. I find Varget to have a slight accuracy edge, and RL15 to have a slight MV edge w/o the pressure.

I have a RRA 20" 1-9 barrel, I can shoot 69gr SMK's and Nosler 69gr CC's out to 600 yards with no problems. I can't get anything heaver to shoot well out this barrel. I have tried the 69gr TMK yet, might have to get a box and test them. Next barrel will be a 1-7 twist.

Why not try the 69 tmk? Similar bc as the 77 smk but better velocity.

That's a very good suggestion. Another bullet to consider along that specific line of thought is the Hornady 73gr ELD-M. You can push it just as fast a the 69gr TMK, but it has a slightly better BC (0.398 vs 0.375). It's also designed to be loaded to AR mag length.

In my experience the 73gr bullet is also fairly tolerant of jump distances up to 0.50". I've been experimenting with the bullets a little over a year now in multiple rifles and thus far every bolt gun I've tried it in has shot sub-MOA with 24.2gr of Varget in a LC case jumped 0.15". Dependent on barrel length you should see 2800-2950fps.

I've got a Ramshot TAC load worked up that's pushing it to 3025fps and shooting cloverleafs, but that load is HOT and right on the cusp of the pressure limit for 5.56NATO (62k psi). [bolt gun w/26" barrel]

always wanted to try that TAC,,no one here carries it though

Yeah, I had the same issue and had to order it in through Natchez and Brownell's. I waited until both had FREE HAZMAT. Grab some CCI 41 Mil 5.56 NATO primers too when you do.

So far I've been extremely pleased with the results on every loading of TAC I have tried. The accuracy is there as well as the speed and being a ball powder it does meter VERY well. The only downside I have found is that you can get to MAX pressure rather quickly. I've had a few pierced but no blown primers (CCI 400). I've switched to CCI 41's for the near max loads and also had Rem 7-1/2's recommended.

73 eld's shoots pretty good in my 1/9

It's a short enough length bullet it should stabilize in 1 in 9". In my case I have a Savage 1 in 9" where the twist is actually a touch faster than listed ( 1 in 8.25" measured). It's a sub 1/2 MOA rifle with Varget and the 73gr ELD-M's @2925fps.

For those curious about the 73gr ELD-M's here is a good thread:

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/hornady-224-73-eld-m-testing.6252888/

Reactions: Basher