• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 69gr SMK for coyotes?

bronxmurdock1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2014
Colorado
I am about to start hunting coyotes with my AR15 which loves 69gr SMK. Ill be hunting out in the Eastern Plains of Colorado, and long accurate shots are a must. I'm looking to skin and sell the pelts.
My question is, "Are 69gr SMK suitable for the job with the little expansion they provide?"

Yes. They are more than suitable for coyotes. I am curious why you think they provide little expansion. Go read the match bullet kill thread and you will see hundreds of dead animals cunningly punctured by match kings and others. They make fantastic holes.

Yes. They are more than suitable for coyotes. I am curious why you think they provide little expansion. Go read the match bullet kill thread and you will see hundreds of dead animals cunningly punctured by match kings and others. They make fantastic holes.

I'm shooting Gorilla Ammo and here is the quote from their web page:

"Designed for Service Rifle competition in the M16A2/AR15-A2 the Sierra MatchKing bullets have set an incredible number of new national records. This projectile is well known for it's excellent accuracy at 200 and 300 yards. Even with it's pinpoint accuracy we don't recommend hunting with MatchKing bullets."

Ugh....another one of these threads. Christ... Did ya happen to notice the thread about 5 below this one on 77smk?

Ugh....another one of these threads. Christ... Did ya happen to notice the thread about 5 below this one on 77smk?
Yes I did And I felt like asking the question again with a quote from the people that make the ammo I'm shooting.
I'm sorry my post made you open it and read the same info again.

In open country they will do ok. I use mostly the 77smk. It kills but about all non cans shots do some running. In timbered areas, it can take some time to locate and it becomes difficult when shooting several at one time with all the running and flopping going on. I use them to avoid re sighting. They kill deer much better than coyotes due to resistance I guess.

I only hunt with SMK. They come apart like ballistic tips.. That is why they don't recommend them for hunting as they don't hold together.

I have always felt the bullet type argument is stupid. It's about placement not bullet. I have shot every deer I have ever shot with them. And I have yet to chase one or loose one. The bullets explode inside and it leave shrapnel in the hart and lungs like crazy and most of the times it doesn't exit so it transfers all of it energy into them.

Now if you were hunting elk or some type of big game maybe. But deer, dogs, hogs they all die well and are easy to kill.

Out of my 556 AR I also shoot just SS109 on hogs. They work fine also. Even though you hear people taking shit about the round.

I think most of the run off stories you hear are bad shooters who don't understand Animals anatomy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. The best bullet is not going to do any good with bad shot placement.

I am in agreement with the pro side of this discussion. The last buck I shot with my 223 I used the 69 SMK. I hit him in the ribs at 175 yards. Made a 1" hole going in and a 2" hole coming out. Buck made about 60 yards. Left plenty of blood behind to follow. I have also used it in my 22 BRs on Jacks and such. Makes a mess out of them when you run it a bit faster than the 223 allows.

77 grain SMK's do not fragment much at 5.56 velocity. They shoot through and are not the quick killers on light animals like coyotes. For some reason they do kill deer much better. More resistance. Still fairly small exit holes.

Here is a javelina my daughter took this February. 53lb pig. .223 w. 69SMK @ 3033fps. It went all of 30 yds. I don't think a coyote would fare much different.

Typical .224 entry hole

Exit hole was about 3/4". Size of a quarter or so.