• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 6BR chamber recommendations

Jarrodb1975

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2019
I’m thinking of giving 6BR a try for next PRS season. I’ll be moving from a 6 creedmoor. Mainly for little less recoil and powder savings. My question is what chamber specs would you guys recommend? I plan on using Berger 105 hybrids with Laupa brass. I have explored the possibility of a prefit but I have always had gunsmiths shoulder my barrels. What kind of experience have you guys had. My action is a Bighorn Origin.
Thanks

We have used a standard off the shelf PTG 6BR Norma reamer for years in 1:8 twist barrels. Shoots 105s and 107s great from Lapua brass. Easiest caliber I have ever loaded for. Takes zero effort to shoot in the .3s

Reactions: 47guy
My smith has a 113 FB with 272 neck. Seems like that would be ok. Would like little bit more.

Is the 6BRA another option for you? I don't have any experience with it, but it seems like another option for increased performance with ease of using standard 6BR brass. I'm trying to talk myself into using either cartridge.

Is the 6BRA another option for you? I don't have any experience with it, but it seems like another option for increased performance with ease of using standard 6BR brass. I'm trying to talk myself into using either cartridge.

BRA

Reactions: wadebrown
I'm thinking about going 6BR as well. One thing I want to check on here is: are "6BR" and "6BR Norma" indeed the same case, or are there dimensional differences à la Lapua Dasher vs. Norma Dasher?
Thanks

I'm thinking about going 6BR as well. One thing I want to check on here is: are "6BR" and "6BR Norma" indeed the same case, or are there dimensional differences à la Lapua Dasher vs. Norma Dasher?
Thanks
BR Remington is a shorter case by .040" than BR Norma.
I'm not sure about Lapua or Norma making Dasher brass.

If you’re gonna custom order a reamer, go with .274/.275 neck and .104 or zero freebore.

Smith can always throat more freebore and the .274 or .275 neck will allow you to run into a batch of brass thats .014 without issue.