• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6BR Valor action

Kian

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2003
Fort Wayne, Indiana
I have a Valor action with barrel chambered in 6BR Laupa, normal load of Varget with smk107 and cci 450 primers.

Out of 50 loaded rounds 15 would not fire, dent in the primers but not enough to ignite. I did alittle research and found that it might be from timney trigger so I swapped out with a trigger tech and out of another 50 12 would not fire. I am open to suggestions at this point. The ones that fired average 2834fps with 1/4” group at 100 yards

What are you seating your primers with? My buddy used to use a hand priming tool and he would have rounds not go off because the primer wasn’t seared deep enough. Switched to a different method and problem was solved.

Could also be not enough firing pin protrusion. Or the cocking piece dragging.

I can help here with recent experience in 6BR in Curtis Valor.
1) Try loading with traditional small rifle primers vs CCI450 (magnum small rifle primer with harder cup) - this alone should get you back to 100% ignition (did for me).
2) You need minimal shoulder set back when you size the 6BR brass for a Valor. If you only have CCI450s then load some with minimal shoulder set back and see if you get 100% ignition.
3) I went through all kinds of troubleshooting, trigger swaps, etc. but the two steps above solved my issues.

Sounds like the bliss point between bolt lift and reliable ignition has been exceeded.

OP didn't mention if he uniformed primer pockets.
Some tools cut too deep and cause this issue also.

Add in possible shoulder set back issues due to improper sizing, harder primers, etc... its it's a recipe for failure to fire.